• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hard to believe but true

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed said:
ANGUS327 said:
Our dog sure loves afterbirth, it,s great to roll on plus we havn't fed her since the 5th of April.

My dad has never liked to eat jerky. He says it reminds him too much of afterbirth. :)

Around here we call it corral jerky. Never have tried it though.

Big Swede said:
Does anybody know if all animals eat their afterbirth or is this just a cow thing? It's funny the questions that come to mind as you're going back and forth in a corn field all day. :shock: :wink:

I would have to say that Humans are about the only mammal that doesn't eat its afterbirth!!! And some religions Humans even do!!! Now you want to talk about gross....how about some afterbirth stew?????? Anyone??? :p :eek: :shock: :? :!:

I had never heard of a cow choking on the stuff. We calve in the barn and dad was always johnny on the spot to get that stuff out of the pen. I kinda took the attitude that if the cow wanted to snack on it, let her. Well, I guess not anymore. In fact one of our "straggler" cows calved today, and when I got there she was chowing on the stuff. Pretty hard to get it out of her mouth when she has it clear down her throat! Managed to get it tangled in a pitchfork and she let go of it.

Those are frustrating losses, Soapweed. Totally out of your control unless you are on round the clock patrol.

Sorry about your luck Soap, that's pretty hard to swallow. ummmm.... no pun intended....
I was talking about this with a couple of old cowboys today. One told me he'd never lost one, but had seen a few choking on the stuff before. He claimed that when they ran out of air they fell down on their sides and the resulting expulsion of air actually blew the stuff out.
The other fella said that as a teenager he came on one choking on it so did the natural thing; he reached in to pull it out. He said he thought he was gonna lose his arm and that you wouldn't believe how hard a cow can bite! He warned that if unclolgging one ever seemed to be required you should make sure you stick something in their mouth first thats just slightly bigger than your arm :lol: Words to live by I suppose.

Latest posts