• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Has anyone used C HARLAND TOO ET?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HIGHPLAINS

Reaction score
I am planning to AI a bunch of black commercial cows to a Hereford bull, looks like Genex has the best service in this area. Has anyone used this bull or know anything about him?
http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1HH00107&lang=EN

Any other recommendations from Genex sires?
I am planning to do a CIDR program to synchronize and timed AI, how many can you do in 1 day with a 2 stall breeding box?
What is a normal breeding charge?[/url]

Even though I am not a Genex fan the one thing they do good is the breeding box service they provide if you use ALL of there services and proticals. One tip I learned from them is they really want to have cleanup bulls ready as soon as the cattle leave the box. The right Genex man wants your cows bred that day even if the cleanup bulls do it.

As for the Herefords bulls I was told most of the new ones are very similuar to one another. They were liking the reporduction of them. Not sure how many took hold but some of the semen was discounted to around $10.
It looks like you choose a good bull. Pay attention to the calving ease ,
Many of the Herefords have large frame however Genex bought some Herefords to reduce frame so know what you want.

As far a how many can one breed in a day. I helped Genex breed 500 head in one morning starting at 4 am. One man bred all the cattle. They used two breeding boxes at two locations to get all the cattle up. One important health hazzard one forgets is the ammonia in the breeding box can get the people in the box down. The people need alot of ventaltion
manure gets rather deep.
As soon as I mention 500 head someone surly will recall breeding many more than that. I just kow it took alot of pensl to get than many up in that short period of time. You got to have alot of people behind the box and one man thawing another getting shots.
Cost had been running around $32 per head with the full meal deal. Remenber the cows that do not get bred it still costs you $32 for her also.
Do you math 50 perecnt AI bred is over $60 in the calves cost when they hit the ground and you still need a bulls. There are ways to cut costs but be very careful and get excellent advice for more than one person unless you are experienced

I am not an AI guy, but from what I have seen of the Harland genetic line, it looks good. we are looking into getting some females from that line.... you can't go wrong with a Hereford bull.

Latest posts