• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hatfield and the McCoys

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Watched the first episode tonight. Kind of let down when Costners saddle looked like a team roping saddle with rubber on the horn.
To bad it was not shot on location instead of Romania. :?

Faster horses said:
Mr. FH noticed the very same thing, BMR.

Think of all the people watching that didn't even realize... :D
bet the majority never heard of em.. like my kids

Big Muddy rancher said:
Watched the first episode tonight. Kind of let down when Costners saddle looked like a team roping saddle with rubber on the horn.
All technicalities aside, it's still a damn good show.

JF Ranch said:
I enjoyed the series. Does anyone know how historically accurate the story was?

From what I was reading on Wikipedia they followed the killings pretty close. Guess there was quite a bit of newspaper accounts from back in the day.

I was disappointed it wasn't shot on location too, but a good part of that country is now state parks and the like. Plus, a good number of the mountain tops have been knocked into the valleys to get at the coal.

That little part of the world is still pretty rowdy...not much there but a few coal mines and loggin outfits...you spout off to the wrong person and no one might see you again. Believe me, its not as big as a lot of the country you all live in but there are plenty of places to disappear! I heard of a fella that was running a couple hundred cows on some old strip ground that had to pull out because too many cows were coming up missing!

from the investigating I did, the time frame of the killings was different than the show portrayed, and the cousin lawyer came in later to reopen the boys deaths to convict the Hatfields.... but all in all it was very correct. I love American history.... it is hard to beat it.

jigs said:
from the investigating I did, the time frame of the killings was different than the show portrayed, and the cousin lawyer came in later to reopen the boys deaths to convict the Hatfields.... but all in all it was very correct. I love American history.... it is hard to beat it.

YUP!!!!

Big Muddy rancher said:

Just could not get into it ,and I was really looking forward to watching the mini series. Will try again with part 2 ,hopefully I can stay interested long enough to get a big bite .

WATCHED AN ACTUAL "DOCUMENTARY" THIS AFTERNOON ON THE HISTORY CHANNEL REGARDING THESE TWO INFAMOUS FAMILIES....ABSOLUTELY SHOCKING!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

JF Ranch said:
I was wonderin' if the love angles with the McCoy gals were historically correct. I realize the need for Hollywood to get that in there some how and am suspicious about that.

According to what I've read it happened pretty much like they showed it on TV.

hillsdown said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Just could not get into it ,and I was really looking forward to watching the mini series. Will try again with part 2 ,hopefully I can stay interested long enough to get a big bite .
Do you like Kevin Costner as an actor?
How 'bout Tom Berenger?
Even though this is an odd role for Tom Berenger, I thought he played the part perfect.

Frank in West Dakota said:
hillsdown said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

How 'bout Tom Berenger?
Even though this is an odd role for Tom Berenger, I thought he played the part perfect.

Costner is Ok not my favorite but I don't mind him.

Berenger must have done a good job with the part cause Jim Vance was easy to dislike. :D

hillsdown said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

How 'bout Tom Berenger?

An odd role for Berenger? You either never saw "Platoon" or have forgotten about it. Jim Vance was a helluva lot more likable than Sgt Barnes.

loomixguy said:
hillsdown said:
How 'bout Tom Berenger?

An odd role for Berenger? You either never saw "Platoon" or have forgotten about it. Jim Vance was a helluva lot more likable than Sgt Barnes.
Actually, I have not seen platoon. Last Berenger movie I remember seeing, is Last of the Dogmen.

Latest posts