• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hauling Bred Cows

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Triple_S

Reaction score
I need to move 40 1st calf heifer pairs about 25 miles. They started breeding May 1 and the bull will be pulled Aug 1. In 90+ temperatures, will I cause a lot of abortions? I've never moved a herd during breeding season, but the grass is gone on this particular farm. I could move them at night or feed hay until they are good and settled.

I wouldn't worry to much a about abortions in the first trimester. We truck ours all over during breeding season some go as far as 200 miles haven't had any problems.

If you have to move them banamine can help protect the embryo. A few years back at the Range Beef Cow Symposium a paper was presented where they looked at embryonic death and the protective effect of banamine. It seems that they were able to significantly reduce the incidence of death by an injection prior to loading the cattle. I don't remember the particulars, I will dig through my old notes and see if I can find the paper.

A few yrs ago I help a rancher unload 3 pot loads of first calf hefiers
what a nite mare they were calving in the pot... lost 3 trampled i guess the seller told him they woul calve next month .. the haul didnt help so I felt bad for the rancher..... nasty job a total of 12 had calved...anyone else had this happen havea good day.. JD

We bought 2 loads of heifers this spring. Both loads were 1200 mile+ haul, no problems.

In fact, the second load was delivered on April 17 with instructions that they be sorted to not calve on the truck and be done by June 1. The nice man sorted them so well that 14 had calved BY the 1st of June and we are still waiting on 7. :mad: :roll:

I wouldn't worry about moving 1st tri. breds that far.

I think this has been pretty much proven to be an issue with heifers that have been developed, heat synched and a.i.'d--then hauled home.

From what i recall, you either want to haul them immediately or wait a couple of weeks.

I would expect that when they've been bred as long as yours should be and on such a short haul that there wouldn't be much problem.

There's a cutting horse deal in great falls that just keeps getting bigger and bigger. They want fresh cattle for every go. Rent a lot of yrlg heifers in this area--havn'et heard of much problem. If i rent them this yr, I'll probably get a free 'change of pasture' outa it, along with some $$ that always comes in handy about this time.

Most heifers that lose a embryo is due more to sharp nutritional change or sharp negative change. If the same grasses are prevelant on both farms only fresher, you shouldn't have a problem.

Mel

littlejoe said:
I think this has been pretty much proven to be an issue with heifers that have been developed, heat synched and a.i.'d--then hauled home.

From what i recall, you either want to haul them immediately or wait a couple of weeks.

I would expect that when they've been bred as long as yours should be and on such a short haul that there wouldn't be much problem.

There's a cutting horse deal in great falls that just keeps getting bigger and bigger. They want fresh cattle for every go. Rent a lot of yrlg heifers in this area--havn'et heard of much problem. If i rent them this yr, I'll probably get a free 'change of pasture' outa it, along with some $$ that always comes in handy about this time.

I think somebody did a study on this-----for first few days, embryo not attached--not much problem----then kinda a 'danger time' for hauling---but can't find any data on it

gcreekrch said:
We bought 2 loads of heifers this spring. Both loads were 1200 mile+ haul, no problems.

In fact, the second load was delivered on April 17 with instructions that they be sorted to not calve on the truck and be done by June 1. The nice man sorted them so well that 14 had calved BY the 1st of June and we are still waiting on 7. :mad: :roll:

Don't you just love buying cows,and finding out they aren't what you were expecting what you are supposedly buying??? :mad:

3words said:
gcreekrch said:

Don't you just love buying cows,and finding out they aren't what you were expecting what you are supposedly buying??? :mad:

I don't worry much about gcreek. He doesn't get mad, he gets EVEN. :)

Latest posts