• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hauling Horses in a Stock Trailer (and introduction)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tentman

Reaction score
Hello Folks (from down in New Zealand)

I've been looking in here occassionally for a while 'cause I like to hear farming people talk. I'm really only a pretend farmer, we just have 10 acres running a couple of horses (yes Quarterhorses) and as many cattle as the season and market will allow (not very many at all this year !!).

Anyhoo down here "stock trailers" are practically unknown, everyone shifts stock using a truck rig. We shift our horses in "Floats" or what you guys call a horse trailer. I have looked through the threads on the pros and cons of using a stock trailer to shift horses and as we only go short distances I think it is the way to go for me - so I'm gonna build a bumper pull, we do lots of fabrication and I have already built two horse trailers.

So - how do you haul horses in a stock trailer - do you just turn them loose, use angle bars or do you tie them?? . If they are loose how does it affeck the trailer balance ?

Thanks

Foster

If were hauling a bunch we normally tie them. My horse most likely has a bigger gripe about my driveing vs. me with him shifting around.

Welcome! :D Hope you are not effected by the floods down your way. We haul horses lots of miles in stock trailers. We usually hang the bridles on the saddle horns (Horses are saddled 95% of the time) and jump them in kind of angled from front left corner. We have hauled 6 or 7 head at a time like that. If we have a couple that don't get along too well, we seperate them with another horse. Sometimes on longer hauls, we will halter them all and tie them. Most times they just stand till we get ready to unload. Again, Welcome. Don't be a stranger and make yourself at home. When you get your trailer built, how about a picture of two so we can appreciate your hard work. :wink:

We haul all of our horses in stock trailers sometimes loose and sometimes tied depending of on where we are going. I have a gray gelding that turns around and ride back words when he is loose that away he not looking into the wind. It funny to watch him on curves has he leans into the turn. We use to have a horse trailer but we never used it that much because I always had to haul cattle to. Welcome to the board :D and please post some pic's of your trailers you have builded and your place. My wife has always loved New Zealand.

Welcome. I presume by Horse vs. stock you mean the difference between a trailer costing $1000 per foot vs. $100. We use our stock trailer primarily for hauling saddle horses around. The trailer has tie rings in it and we wrap the lines if they are bridled, or tie a quick release if they are haltered. We also always open the front escape door prior to loading, even with quiet horses and do a walk around after the doors are closed. EVERY TIME.

Our gooseneck stock trailer is 24' x 6'8" with three eight feet compartments. One of our bumper pull trailers is 16' x 6'8" and another is 16' x 6'. Both of the bumper pull trailers have two compartments. Often when we haul, we have four horses aboard. They are most often saddled, unless we are going on a real long haul, and the bridles are usually on also. We never tie the horses in the trailer, but the reins are secured so they don't fall down or encumber the horse. The first two horses are loaded into the front compartment and pointed backwards. The last two are loaded with one facing backwards and the last to load faces towards the front. When we arrive on location, one horse is facing the endgate ready to unload. The next is turned around and unloaded, and then the first two are already facing backwards so they easily come out when the center gate is opened. This system seems to work well for us, and has been the way we've done it for many years.

Hey - great information folk, thanks.

No floods down here, we have a bit of welcome rain this afternoon, feed is real short due to an exceptionally dry seaon (for us in the southern end of NZ).

I just got my balage off so its especially pleasing - should help my pastures struggle back into life !!

Cheers - Foster

Latest posts