• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

HAUPTNER SYRINGES

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Are they worth the money,I can buy two Roux's for the price of a Hauptner..............good luck

I liked mine, but they don't get used too much any more. Price of the other ones might make them a better deal. Hauptners are light and fairly easy to squeeze. But they can be broken. I don't know if you can get a plastic barrel for them either.

You see, I'm kind of a clutz so they usually let me push the cattle in the chute. :wink:

I have had one for quite a few years now and it hasn't broken yet. Just got a new toy this year though. A syringe that holds the bottle on it and reloads automatically. Only had to reload it every fifty calves. Was nice but takes some getting used to.

The Hauptners are good...have used them for years.The vac. will not leak back behind the plunger like the guns that just use o-rings.Have to be carefull not to bump into something as the glass barrel is rather delicate.
Have tried others but always go back to the hauptner

Jinglebob said:
SDSteve

Did it work accordingly? When you were done with fifty calves was all the vaccine gone?
I was using the cheap stuff in that syringe (7-way). So I didn't keep close track on it like I would if it was one of the more expensive vaccines. I seemed to have had it set a little long like 2.2 cc's. I couldn't figure out how to back off the dose and I sure wasn't going back to the house to read the directions. But for vaccines that don't need mixing I think it is the way to go.

SDSteve said:
Jinglebob said:
SDSteve

Did it work accordingly? When you were done with fifty calves was all the vaccine gone?
I was using the cheap stuff in that syringe (7-way). So I didn't keep close track on it like I would if it was one of the more expensive vaccines. I seemed to have had it set a little long like 2.2 cc's. I couldn't figure out how to back off the dose and I sure wasn't going back to the house to read the directions. But for vaccines that don't need mixing I think it is the way to go.

Most have a nut to turn to set the amout. If you set them they seem to be right on. They are sure nice in that you don't have to keep filling those guns.
We also use Philips automatic syringes that seem to work quite well. They have plastic barrels so take some abuse.

Hauptners are the real deal for dispensing biologicals because of their great accuracy - not because ibr,bvd,pi3 is expensive, just soooo important. I also consider the pasturella shot to be very important. the clostridials are now coming in 2cc form so accuracy is more important here than it used to be. I use 30cc hauptners when processing in the snake, but if we're catching heads I'll usually set up line feeds and hang the bottles.

Aside from the accuracy issue, the hauptners are nicely balanced. You know how an optimal vaccination will be slightly withdrawn during the injection, I find the hauptner design really facilitates optimal vaccination.

Just take care of your hauptners and the cost gets spread pretty thin. My pet peeve: someone picking up one of my syringes and tightening the plunger and barrel. My old vet insists syringes be lubed with glycerine, and I think he's on to something.

I prefer the Haupner syringes. That's what our vet used and sold, and what I grew up using. I also have an Ideal which has the bigger diameter barrel which I use for 5cc shots. Haupners are especially nice for most of the low 2cc doses used nowdays.

JB, I'd say you're in the minority not using your vaccine gun as much as you used to. Mine gets used more than ever and I never needed more than one until this fall shot deal on calves got started! :lol: I take my vaccine guns to the neighbors when we're doing fall shots in case of a wreck or a breakdown! :D

I recently purchased an Allflex syringe. I like it even better then the Hauptner. Extremely accurate from .5cc on up to 5cc. Seems really tough too. One of the area vets tol me about it and said he thougth I`d like it.

We have been using the Allflex Phillips VaxMaster syringe for the last few years, and it has become my favorite. Peach Blossom likes the "continuous" type with a rubber hose, but I'd rather reload every 25 head and use the VaxMaster.

Thanks for all the good advice men,I think I will order one Hauptner and one allflex,then just go from there,keeping these in my truck maybe they will stay put...................good luck

Hay Maker, We have had nothing but good luck with our Hauptner's however, there are as I understand it two kinds. One model is an older one and costs about 40.00 and the other one cost's around 70.00. The 40.00 model is noth worth the energy to smash it with a hammer. The other model is a very accurate syringe the dosage is set by a dial which allows for exact amounts ie 2,3,4,or 5 cc's. We have also found that if after you wash them lube the rubber parts with a light coat of cooking oil, and then put them back together they will last as long or longer than had you used glycerine. Hope you have good luck with them.

Haymaker, for a pickup/saddle syringe use one of those cheap plastic barel jobs. they're accurate enough, cheap, and will take a beating. A barrel for your haptner is about $10

Latest posts