• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Have any of you tried Garlic in your mineral for repelling flies and what did you think?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
We have a customer that is curious about our mineral with Cinnamon and Garlic for fly control. It does NOT kill flies, it repels them but
it does repel other flies, not just horn flies (IGR only kills horn flies in that they hatch prematurely and die) so we are talking two different things here. We have 2 customers that tried the mineral with CG (cinnamon and garlic) and really liked what they saw and that is what they are ordering this spring. I cannot sell it as fly repellent because there is no research supporting that, but I can pass along what others are experiencing with their cattle. CG does increase performance, so that is the reason our company even has it. Repelling flies is a side benefit, or if the main focus is repelling flies, then the added performance is a side benefit. Anyway, it will be interesting to see your responses. And THANKS!!

I used a bag of Vigortone Cin Gar once. I think it cleared the street in Medicine Lake Montana and killed the gas smell in a Barrel racers tack room on her trailer.
My main objective was to coax the cattle to eat mineral at a place where consumption was low. I think it helped repel the flies.
I have been using Smart Lic tubs with IGR, this year I bought a pallet of salt blocks with Garlic to feed along with the IGR tubs since I already feed extra salt.

I used a bag of Vigortone Cin Gar once. I think it cleared the street in Medicine Lake Montana and killed the gas smell in a Barrel racers tack room on her trailer.
My main objective was to coax the cattle to eat mineral at a place where consumption was low. I think it helped repel the flies.
I have been using Smart Lic tubs with IGR, this year I bought a pallet of salt blocks with Garlic to feed along with the IGR tubs since I already feed extra salt.
SALT BLOCKS!!!!! 😲😊 Cows have to take 2000 licks to get an oz of salt from salt blocks.
"Cleared the street and killed the gas smell in a tack room"🤣 ....I can believe that. Garlic in mineral STINKS, I mean really stinks.
Now I'm dying laughing.

Latest posts