• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Have you guys been smoking pot again.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Charlie1948

Reaction score
This is a true fact.
The American Farmer is the (stuppedest ) living creature on earth.
He can be told to plant fence row to fence row and then give the crop away when prices are manupilated.
I sat on a state farm bureau profitability task force for several weeks .The fertilizer people came to tell us when they have a over supply they just shut down the mines and fry up the market.No hope for us there they druther ship to china or some other country.
Fuel companys came and told us get ready boys more more high prices for gas ,diesel,propane.
Not alot of corn going out in my country this year beans.
so feed prices are projected to go up big time .
Just set and think every thing we buy theyset the prices .They make there markup.
Every thing we sell they tell us what they will give us.
This is been going on for years.Every time we should get a better price they import enough to keep price down.
I am in my 60s and done been lucky and made a living and have a large land holding that is worth alot of money.So its not life or death to me .My wife had a good job also .
But some time you just have to do the right thing and have some (Balls )
We been screwed for years and if our organizations done step up to the plate alot of our farmers won,t be here many years more.
Lay in bed tonite and just really think about it.
In our business farming there is no supply and demand as they say.Its Manulipation and lies fraud and so on.
Thanks for the time.Alife long Farmer who cares about the next generation.

Its the same way up here in Canada. There are some big rallies planned for April 5th. Its a sad story in both Canada and the US. It has been said that the farmer/rancher is the business man that pays freight for everything he buys and sells.

When you started on this post, I got a little angry at your allegations of pot smoking and such. Then I read the meat of your story and I agree with you.
Rural agriculture started a downhill slide with Tyson and Purdue controlling the poultry market, followed by Murphy farms in hogs which was then swallowed up by Smithfields etal. I was part of several small groups that TRIED to convince NPPC of what was happening. But their only concern was "large numbers of hogs that fed their checkoff frenzy attitude."

It soon came to light what their interests were: money, not producers. I was one of several who testified before the house ag committee, but I was drowned out by the vested corporate interests in the big commodity groups. One Iowa pork producer read a scripted text written by NPPC. He didn't even have the intelligence or ability to write and read his own story.

This is continuing today in grain and in beef. And yet there are some on this site and elsewhere who continue to believe in the corporate philosophy that "they are here to help us." Trouble is, they can't see the truth for the lies.

MR, wouldn't it be awesome if all farmers and ranchers in Canada and USA team up with a big rally. We could meet at the border. Probably someone would take notice. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for wrongs to be righted.

feeder said:
MR, wouldn't it be awesome if all farmers and ranchers in Canada and USA team up with a big rally. We could meet at the border. Probably someone would take notice. But I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for wrongs to be righted.

No room at the border. Too many American trucks bringing cheap, subsidised American corn up here to flood our markets.

:nod: :nod: :nod: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

Charlie, I've been thinking some of the same things ever since I got into production ag almost thirty years ago. The only shining example of many producers coming together to control their destiny is Riceland Foods. It's a same, but both our input suppliers and produce brokers are happy...and richer for it! :mad:

Yup that would be great if we could do that. Its a real shame when we have to go broke so we can provide people with cheap food!! :(

MLA, I bet those trucks have grain trailers and bullracks on both sides of the border. Bring cheap corn to you and cheap beef to us. Just change trailers at each end. LOL

feeder said:
MLA, I bet those trucks have grain trailers and bullracks on both sides of the border. Bring cheap corn to you and cheap beef to us. Just change trailers at each end. LOL

Prolly you are right. And they told us how good all this trade is. Good for who?

Maple Leaf Angus said:
feeder said:

Prolly you are right. And they told us how good all this trade is. Good for who?

The margin makers.

Charlie 1948,

A large 16,000 acre (relying on memory) ranch recently sold in western South Dakota for $590 per acre. This is land that requires at least 24 acres to run a cow year round. Now tell me how that pencils out? You compete against that andyour worried about packers making $26 per head (so called market manipulation).

Where is the outrage for recreational interests buying land at 5 times what it requires to breakeven on a cow/calf operation? Think what that does to the estate taxes. Meanwhile you guys bitch about "SO CALLED" market manipulation which was proven to be $26 per head in Pickett vs. ibp. You can blame market manipulation until hell freezes over but I doubt any of your sons would be making a living in the cow business if they had to pay $590 per acre for grass.

It does no good to bitch about FACTS OF LIFE that you can't change such as recreational interests and big city money buying up ranches for hunting and tax write offs. If ranching is such a difficult life, GO DO SOMETHING ELSE AND QUIT BITCHING.

~SH~

Latest posts