• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Have you read any good books recently?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I finished Three Weeks to say goodbye by CJ Box. It's excellent!

I also read Not MY Daughter by Barbara Delinsky and it also was a very good book.

I would recommend both. The had me staying up late and getting up early to finish them.

I bought a book called "Bud and Me" at the Cowboy Hall of Fame in Oklahoma City last week. It was written by Buds' wife, Alta. Can't recall the last name, now. My spouse read it, too. We aren't totally convinced it is the factual story it claims to be, but there is some evidence such as copies of news stories, photo's and such that make me an almost strong believer. It is just so improbable by todays' standards that it is hard to believe.

Story line is that two young boys, ages 5 and 9 persuade their father to let them ride horseback from sw OK to Sante Fe to see the new capitol building about 1905. They also spent some time with the governor, with whom their father was acquainted and had many adventures. One was stumbling upon a group of 'cowboys', working a herd. Later, it was learned they men were rustling the cattle, yet they followed the boys through some 'inhospitable' territory to assure no one harmed the boys, because they knew and respected the father who was a sherrif with whom they, or some of them, had been in a shoot-out.

Other exploits included riding to Washington DC and visiting the President, among other things, then personally driving home a Brush car their father purchased for them. Also made a motorcycle trip. Later a cross country trip riding from the east coast to the west coast at ages 9 and 13 which was their last such escapade.

It was fun and fast reading. There were five children in the family and the mother had died. The children were 'looked after' by various family members, and were fairly well off, with the father being friends of some of the large TX Panhandle ranchers and hunting wolves with Teddy Roosevelt on one of those ranches. He also did some movie making 'back east', some featuring the boys as hard riding young cowboys who helped rescue damsels in distress.

Left the book with my daughter for her family to read, so can't check the surname of the boys and the author.

mrj

I just dug out the James Herriot series that I mentioned earlier in this thread and oh my goodness, they are good for some belly laughs.

Like when Tristan reaches in to extract a calf with its legs back and his cries and groans of pain move the farmer to invite him into the house for a shot when the job is done.

Only Herriot can attribute such a wide and fascinating range of sounds to a man helping a cow calve . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

burnt said:
I just dug out the James Herriot series that I mentioned earlier in this thread and oh my goodness, they are good for some belly laughs.

Like when Tristan reaches in to extract a calf with its legs back and his cries and groans of pain move the farmer to invite him into the house for a shot when the job is done.

Only Herriot can attribute such a wide and fascinating range of sounds to a man helping a cow calve . . . :lol: :lol: :lol:

He does have some dandy stories. :D :D

Well FH, now you've gone from funny to silly!

There is no one that I have read in the farm story line that can take an incident that most of us would pass off as ordinary and turn it into a fascinating tale like James Herriot.

I highly recommend him to anyone who hasn't read his books. And if you've read'em already, you will likely laugh just as much the second time around . . .

burnt said:
Well FH, now you've gone from funny to silly!

There is no one that I have read in the farm story line that can take an incident that most of us would pass off as ordinary and turn it into a fascinating tale like James Herriot.

I highly recommend him to anyone who hasn't read his books. And if you've read'em already, you will likely laugh just as much the second time around . . .

or 3rd, 4th, ..... :)

salt grass flats said:
I have a copy of Evil Obsession. Nellie Snyder Yost is the author. This is a true story of Lincoln County Neb. and North Platte. Some of the name have been changed to protect the guilty errrrrr innocent I mean, lol.

It's a good book, but some of it is hard to read.

Hears one. Florida cowhunter. The life and times of bone mizell. Lots of fla cattle history. And a good story about a cowboy that worked hard, drank hard and loved to tell storys and pull pranks. A man that's after my own heart.

Northern Rancher said:
Cuddling to keep warm brings rewarding results-I turn the therostat down every chance I get lol.
Amazing how the thermostat works, every time the wife walks by it, the furnace kicks on! :???: Happens in the summer, too! :(

I'm in a book group that meets once a month. We try reading different types of books to stretch us and then have fun discussing them.

I bet absolutely nobody on Ranchersnet would like this but it won European awards for literature and is about the author's life in Romania under a dictatorship. The Land of Green Plums[/u]. Difficult to read because of the dismally unhappy life and poetic imagery, but an exposure to a different form of world lit.[/b]

Faster horses said:
On that note, has anyone heard about 'kindle'...
or have you used one? I just found out about it.

Our daughter in law has Kindle. For those of you who live far out in the country I'd think you'd like being able to just download onto Kindle any book from the internet that way in just seconds- the list is actually endless. Also nice for traveling- you don't have to carry a stack of books.

She likes the small size but you can make the reading font any size you want so that is an improvement over regular books. Also you "turn the pages" with a flick of the finger. Almost funny how that works. And you can mark the "pages" and highlight...and probably other things I've forgotten.
The only downsides: $10 /bk compared to free at the library and you can't lend the book to a friend.

I just read 'a Thousand Splendid Suns' by Khaled Hosseini it's about Afghanistan's last thirty years from a woman's point of view definately not a feel good book of the month!!!

I just finished Orville Beyea's ranching autobiography, AGAINST THE CURRENT. It is wonderful reading, especially if you are interested in Hereford history. Orville was a die-hard Hereford breeder, and he had some of the best. He was a hard-working ranch operator, but took the time and had the expertise to judge some of the big Hereford shows such as the National Western in Denver. You can obtain the book mail order, tax and postage included for $29.45.

Orville Beyea
633 N. Main St.
Valentine, NE 69201

I just finished McCullough's 'TRUMAN'. It was a very good read. I only read non-fiction. I recommend the book highly. I just started 'AMERICAN LION' the biography of Jackson. It is okay, but not keeping me glued like the Truman biography did.

I'm reading another CJ Box book Savage Run it's the second in his series about J. Pickett a game warden in Wyoming and I have to say I have been enjoying reading it.

I just tread 'Death In Silent Places' by Peter Hathaway Capstick-its about the greatest African hunters from the turn of the century-Jim Corbett who shot ten man killing leopards, tigers and the tsavo mankillers. Karamajo Bell etc. Incredible read!!!

Latest posts