• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay down

Help Support Ranchers.net:

webfoot

Reaction score
Most of the hay meadows got cut yesterday afternoon. It is looking good. Will, who was mowing said it was really heavy. We will see when we count bales. That swather really cuts. It has a 16 foot header and I clocked him at 11 mph.

P6272966.JPG
P6272964.JPG

It is 94 degrees, with 20% humidity, and a 20 mph wind with higher gusts. You can almost hear the moisture coming out of the hay.

Yesterday I looked out at the front field. Something didn't look right. Went out to investigate. Beaver had cut a tree down. Over the fence and on top of freshly cut hay. had to clean up the tree. No more Mr. Niceguy, this is war. At about 8:30 last night I set a lawn chair down by the river. No more than sat down and the beaver came swimming by. 12 gauge 3 inch magnum with #2 lead shot at about 40 feet. That beaver ain't chewing down anymore trees.

P6282970.JPG
P6282971.JPG

Yesterday I looked out at the front field. Something didn't look right. Went out to investigate. Beaver had cut a tree down. Over the fence and on top of freshly cut hay. had to clean up the tree. No more Mr. Niceguy, this is war. At about 8:30 last night I set a lawn chair down by the river. No more than sat down and the beaver came swimming by. 12 gauge 3 inch magnum with #2 lead shot at about 40 feet. That beaver ain't chewing down anymore trees.

View attachment 2025View attachment 2026
I have a few hundred more if you need something to do

You just killed the mascot for Oregon State University!!!!!! Oh the horror. 😁
There is no shortage of them. Last year the neighbor trapped 5 of them right there.

I have a few hundred more if you need something to do
Thanks I am good. Back in the 80's I ran a long line trap line. I have caught as many as 12 in a day. It is a shame that they aren't worth anything today.

It is a shame Webfoot. Haying here is a a hunt and peck process this year so far, at least we're saving money on net wrap. I rolled 14 bales off 8 acres of grass this afternoon but it's just subirrigated. No wet tires in the process. Dry land alfalfa making a bale every 5 acres, irrigated a bale per. Dang hail, sure will cut it. Just doesn't rake and bale any.

With the price of a 100X beaver felt hat, maybe you should look into processing some pure beaver pelt to felt. Shoot the beaver in the head with a 22 and save the shotgun for the ducks that will provide the feathers for the rattlesnake hatbands. I see a new Durkee business in the making, Burnt River Ranch Attire. Things like pure beaver hats with rattlesnake duck feathered bands, mountain sheep skin chaps, and cougar skin gloves.

They have yet to cut the second cutting of alfalfa here.

With the price of a 100X beaver felt hat, maybe you should look into processing some pure beaver pelt to felt. Shoot the beaver in the head with a 22 and save the shotgun for the ducks that will provide the feathers for the rattlesnake hatbands. I see a new Durkee business in the making, Burnt River Ranch Attire. Things like pure beaver hats with rattlesnake duck feathered bands, mountain sheep skin chaps, and cougar skin gloves.

They have yet to cut the second cutting of alfalfa here.
Actually the ones that the neighbor trapped last winter were for his brother in law. He had them tanned and the plan was to get enough to make a beaver hide bed spread. I think that is for sleeping on very cold nights with all the windows open.

Actually the ones that the neighbor trapped last winter were for his brother in law. He had them tanned and the plan was to get enough to make a beaver hide bed spread. I think that is for sleeping on very cold nights with all the windows open.
That would make a great outdoors sleeping bag cover. Waterproof and wind resistant.

The second cutting was cut last evening. It looks good and I am guessing at least 2 tons per acre. Days in the high 80s and low 90s with our low winds should have it dry, licky split.

Yeah. Thought I had beavers cutting down river willows all along the bank. Turned out to be adios to nutria a south America invader. Adios

I thought that the hay was pretty heavy. B just finished baling it. A 18% increase in the number of bales over the last two years. And that is with no fertilizer this year. Nothing like 4 inches of rain falling in a very timely manneer to make me look like a master of irrigation. That extra hay will come in handy this winter.

Put the last bales in the stack yard this morning. Not a minute too soon. It is pushing 90 out there now and it is going to push 100 tomorrow. Both of my tractors are open station. A cab and AC would be a nice luxury. My imprecise calculations say there is about 106 tons in the two stacks.

P7052975.JPG
P7052976.JPG

Do you cover those stacks?
No, we only get about 10-12 inches of rain annually. Here most people who are feeding hay to their own cows don't cover the stacks. Those who are selling hay cover theirs. Those selling to the export market cover the top and the sides. Up stream from me toward Hereford and Unity they get a lot more snow. Up there you see a lot of hay sheds.

Latest posts