• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay Heat & Hats

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mountain Cowgirl

Reaction score
All the alfalfa fields that I walk by were cut Saturday. It looks leafy and nice size windrows. While we had some threatening clouds that afternoon, they didn't produce any rain. It was 75 yesterday, the highest for 2022 so far. Warm sunny weather for several days so that is good news for the hay growers and ranchers. The bad news is the cost of harvest increasing and the already high price soaring to insane levels. Most of this hay will be trucked, so the price of dairy products and beef will no doubt increase.

The forecast is for day temps of mid-70s to mid-80s with sunny days for the next week. With the impending summer sun beaming down on my already damaged nose and back of my ears, the cap must go and a hat is coming.

I just couldn't justify ordering the 100X beaver hat for $500 at this time. I questioned one of the ladies I passed while out walking about her hat and found out it was a USA made by a family in California. Their selection is many styles and materials, however no beaver felt, and their price is fair and affordable. I decided on the mesh one as it would fit my purposes perfectly. They offer one that would be great for hot days in the sun that has a liner that can be soaked in ice water for extra cooling. I opted for the plain style in the mesh flat brim. If you are interested, make your selection and put it in the cart but don't purchase. They will send you a text on your cell that if you complete that purchase, just follow a link for a 20% discount. Lollygagger shoppers that like to put an item in their cart and then think about it are rewarded. I have this hat coming in this color and it set me back a mere $77 due to my lollygagger 20% discount. While it has a fairly small brim, with its flat brim and shape, it will keep the sun off my face, ears, and neck. The company is called American Hat Company.

They also make a chin string that is included with some styles or it can be added for a small price. I decided I didn't need it, but you windy range riders may need that item.

FF hat 1.jpg

Last edited:
I just couldn't justify ordering the 100X beaver hat for $500 at this time. I questioned one of the ladies I passed while out walking about her hat and found out it was a USA made by a family in California. Their selection is many styles and materials, however no beaver felt, and their price is fair and affordable. I decided on the mesh one as it would fit my purposes perfectly. They offer one that would be great for hot days in the sun that has a liner that can be soaked in ice water for extra cooling. I opted for the plain style in the mesh flat brim. If you are interested, make your selection and put it in the cart but don't purchase. They will send you a text on your cell that if you complete that purchase, just follow a link for a 20% discount. Lollygagger shoppers that like to put an item in their cart and then think about it are rewarded. I have this hat coming in this color and it set me back a mere $77 due to my lollygagger 20% discount. While it has a fairly small brim, with its flat brim and shape, it will keep the sun off my face, ears, and neck. The company is called American Hat Company.

They also make a chin string that is included with some styles or it can be added for a small price. I decided I didn't need it, but you windy range riders may need that item.
Hmmmm. American hats are the latest big thing with rodeo cowboys. It is kind of strange because I always wore American hats back when I was going 45-50 years ago. They sort of faded out and I didn't see them for years. Then suddenly they appeared again. The story is that Keith Maddox who was a sales rep for western wear bought the company and got it going again. Keith since passed away. Another interesting point is when I was riding college rodeos Keith Maddox was riding for Treasure Valley College in Ontario Oregon. He was a few years older than the rest of us. There is a book about Chris LaDoux that has a picture of his college rodeo team. Keith Maddox is in that picture. That would have been in the late 60's. I think Keith might have done a tour in the military between rodeo with Chris and at Treasure Valley.

Hmmmm. American hats are the latest big thing with rodeo cowboys. It is kind of strange because I always wore American hats back when I was going 45-50 years ago. They sort of faded out and I didn't see them for years. Then suddenly they appeared again. The story is that Keith Maddox who was a sales rep for western wear bought the company and got it going again. Keith since passed away. Another interesting point is when I was riding college rodeos Keith Maddox was riding for Treasure Valley College in Ontario Oregon. He was a few years older than the rest of us. There is a book about Chris LaDoux that has a picture of his college rodeo team. Keith Maddox is in that picture. That would have been in the late 60's. I think Keith might have done a tour in the military between rodeo with Chris and at Treasure Valley.
There must be another company named American Hats. The one I ordered my hat from was started in 1972 by Gary Watrous. He and his wife are still involved but his son and his wife run the place now. Family-owned and operated since 1972. They started out doing leather wallets and belts and then went to making leather hats. They still make leather hats but branched out making straw, wool felt, and mesh hats. They don't do custom fit or beaver blends but still handmake all their hats and guarantee them. They seem like really nice folks and respond to questions quickly. Nice to talk to real folks and not machines.

I still want to get a 100X beaver flat brim and crown from the gal at Silver Lake. I am just waiting for the Wells Fargo stage to turn the corner too fast and dump their money box on my place. I must get out and heighten the speed bump and bank that slope a bit steeper.

Last edited:
Not about hats, heat, or hay per se, but family ranching in general.
This cute meme really touched me. I noticed the girl is holding the rope.

284005812_1052059002406798_1016626784951652559_n.jpg

My new handmade flat-brimmed hat arrived today and my friend says it doesn't look cattle womanish or buckerooette, but I look like Crocodile Dundette. What does she know, she is just a spoiled Shelia. :sneaky:

I say, "go for it". The riff-raff won't bother you if you look like Crocodile Dundee AND
carry a big knife. 😊
I wore it since early morning spraying an assortment of weeds and grasses that dared rear their ugly head in my designated bare ground area. After I finish my bowl of ice cream, I will mow my pasture/lawn wearing it and defy Ol Sol a bit further. Sadly I gave away my handmade Bowie, but I still have a machete somewhere. Amazing how carrying my multi-blade knife, screwdriver, and pliers tool in a sheath that looks like a small handgun holster, demands respect.

Now out to mow and mock the hungry outback sheep, then I will toss a couple of all-beef hot dogs on the barbie. I hope to do a hayfield walk-a-bout later as they should be baling today. It is a beautiful warm hopping good day here mates.

The knife: I have been able to locate the machete. I may have taken it to auction a few years ago when I cleaned up a bunch of old tools that I now regret selling.

The Hat: I got notice that I am getting another hat today. The first one was from the first canceled order. I must call them and see what they want me to do.

HAY: Well it was dry yesterday and ready, but didn't get baled last afternoon and the hay is now soggy wet from a big rainstorm last night. I told one of the baler guys checking the hay yesterday at about noon that it was going to rain and he said it wasn't in the forecast and that he would like to see one more day of drying. I walked on since it wasn't my business and tested some of the leaves and stems at the far end of the field and it was dry enough that I would have baled it rather than gamble. Perhaps it was moister out in the middle, but 4 days of sun and 80-degree temperatures, should have had it dry.

It is overcast now and looks like more rain. Good news for all except those with hay down.

HAY: Well it was dry yesterday and ready, but didn't get baled last afternoon and the hay is now soggy wet from a big rainstorm last night. I told one of the baler guys checking the hay yesterday at about noon that it was going to rain and he said it wasn't in the forecast and that he would like to see one more day of drying. I walked on since it wasn't my business and tested some of the leaves and stems at the far end of the field and it was dry enough that I would have baled it rather than gamble. Perhaps it was moister out in the middle, but 4 days of sun and 80-degree temperatures, should have had it dry.

It is overcast now and looks like more rain. Good news for all except those with hay down.
Good news for the beef cattle growers. Rained on alfalfa is feeder hay which is much more affordable then dairy or export quality hay.

It is raining again today so the price just keeps going down. I am not sure what a ton of alfalfa stems bring, but I think that is where this cutting is headed.

Rained again this morning. Alfalfa between windrows already about 8" high from the rain. A cool overcast day in the mid-60s.

Out for my daily walk.
The other hat went back
as it wasn't the color I ordered.
I like this lighter color better.
This hat sheds rain like a duck's
back and breaths like a fast horse.
MC walk 12.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts