• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay Heat & Hats

Help Support Ranchers.net:

They baled the alfalfa a couple of days ago. It came out to 3 tons per acre. With the alfalfa being about a foot high between the windrows, they didn't turn the windrows and baled the 3 times rain-soaked, but now dry windrows. Thanks to the wind it dried out nicely in record time. They stacked it only 3 high and put spacing between the triple stacks. It smells OK and while brown for the most part, it baled up very leafy.

They baled the alfalfa a couple of days ago. It came out to 3 tons per acre. With the alfalfa being about a foot high between the windrows, they didn't turn the windrows and baled the 3 times rain-soaked, but now dry windrows. Thanks to the wind it dried out nicely in record time. They stacked it only 3 high and put spacing between the triple stacks. It smells OK and while brown for the most part, it baled up very leafy.
Was that baled in big squares?

Morning walk

smaal ducks.jpg
Mallard ducks.jpg

thisle 4.jpg

snake 2.jpg

The knife: I have been able to locate the machete. I may have taken it to auction a few years ago when I cleaned up a bunch of old tools that I now regret selling.

The Hat: I got notice that I am getting another hat today. The first one was from the first canceled order. I must call them and see what they want me to do.

HAY: Well it was dry yesterday and ready, but didn't get baled last afternoon and the hay is now soggy wet from a big rainstorm last night. I told one of the baler guys checking the hay yesterday at about noon that it was going to rain and he said it wasn't in the forecast and that he would like to see one more day of drying. I walked on since it wasn't my business and tested some of the leaves and stems at the far end of the field and it was dry enough that I would have baled it rather than gamble. Perhaps it was moister out in the middle, but 4 days of sun and 80-degree temperatures, should have had it dry.

It is overcast now and looks like more rain. Good news for all except those with hay down.
Here in central OK I have bluestem and some Bermuda. Bermuda is bad about molding if it is wet. However if it is baled while still having the juice in the stems, it ferments instead of molding. My bluestem I bale the next day after cutting or right after cutting if I can still go myself. Icant go the 16 hour days like I used to.. I bale for cattle, and never had them leave any of my bales...

About only way I could hope to put up hay this year is with a lawnmower with a bagger.
The vaqueros that do most of the large lawns around here do use their clipping to feed cows. They buy cows in late April and feed them till Oct.

The vaqueros that do most of the large lawns around here do use their clipping to feed cows. They buy cows in late April and feed them till Oct.
Its been raining here pretty good lately. I'm not sure if its to late or not for hay crops? Sure will help pastures and cash crops. Should be green feed and straw this year. Was looking pretty bad before.

I baled 19 bales yesterday where I got 60 last year. Probably have $200 in fuel cost alone. That is over $10/bale in fuel...
The record-breaking rains, cool days, and many not fertilizing due to cost have hay 2 weeks behind and of lesser quality. The contract cutters and balers have upped their price so it is anyone's guess what alfalfa hay will sell for this year. Trucking it out of the area is also a factor. So far all the first cuttings that took three rains before being baled are still sitting in uncovered stacks. Usually, the first cutting is trucked off the same day it is baled.

Is your low yield due to drought and heat?

Friday when I went to Goldendale to get my little pickup I saw hay getting rained on just west of Hermiston. A lot of hay down and getting wet at Goldendale. One guy here said he was going to cut on Tuesday. I don't know if he did but if he did it got wet. B says he starts on Monday. The ten day has no rain in sight. On Tuesday the forecast jumps into the 80's for the rest of the ten day. Probably be cutting here by about the weekend. No fertilizer but regular rains the hay looks better than last year with a good application of fertilizer.

Friday when I went to Goldendale to get my little pickup I saw hay getting rained on just west of Hermiston. A lot of hay down and getting wet at Goldendale. One guy here said he was going to cut on Tuesday. I don't know if he did but if he did it got wet. B says he starts on Monday. The ten day has no rain in sight. On Tuesday the forecast jumps into the 80's for the rest of the ten day. Probably be cutting here by about the weekend. No fertilizer but regular rains the hay looks better than last year with a good application of fertilizer.
Rain does wonders! Yep, most of the hay down took at least one rain before it was dry enough to be baled. We just haven't had enough consistent warm sunny days to get hay baled like we did last year.

The record-breaking rains, cool days, and many not fertilizing due to cost have hay 2 weeks behind and of lesser quality. The contract cutters and balers have upped their price so it is anyone's guess what alfalfa hay will sell for this year. Trucking it out of the area is also a factor. So far all the first cuttings that took three rains before being baled are still sitting in uncovered stacks. Usually, the first cutting is trucked off the same day it is baled.

Is your low yield due to drought and heat?
Drought last fall and this spring, then when the rais finally came, fertilizer was too high to take the chance of it getting washed off. Our rains have been light in quantity, but it all comes in 30 minutes. Washes everything off.. Thinking of trying liquid when I can afford it..

Latest posts