• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay Making

Help Support Ranchers.net:

m5farm

Reaction score
its been a pretty good hay year here. I'm a week late on my 3rd cutting and every day is chipping away at the 4th hopefully we get a 3 or 4 day window next week. The weather liars sure don't know what predict

It's sure a nice problem to have. I'd like to be cutting hay also but looks to be another week before the weather might cooperates. I'd like to do some baleage and can't find anyone willing to come here and do it. Cutting one day and bailing the next sounds like something I need to try at this point.

HG , I attended a Farm field day 2 yrs ago and Know the guy that custom bales Haylege , It has its place but I don't think you or I can feed that much hay in the winter to justify the cost. and the Nutrient levels are still the same as dry hay if cut and baled on time. 1. you got to have a baler that will handle the wet hay 2.the wrapper machine cost 3. you adding about 3 to 5 dollars a bale just in wrap cost . Its expensive. I would venture to say you need to be able to put up and feed 1000 bales a year for it to be beneficial.

We used to put up 1200 bales a yr to feed every winter , we tried the balege back in the 90's and it was an issue with spoilage because not enough people had done it in our area to learn the mistakes. The mice and hawks were constantly tearing holes in it.

m5farm said:
HG , I attended a Farm field day 2 yrs ago and Know the guy that custom bales Haylege , It has its place but I don't think you or I can feed that much hay in the winter to justify the cost. and the Nutrient levels are still the same as dry hay if cut and baled on time. 1. you got to have a baler that will handle the wet hay 2.the wrapper machine cost 3. you adding about 3 to 5 dollars a bale just in wrap cost . Its expensive. I would venture to say you need to be able to put up and feed 1000 bales a year for it to be beneficial.

We used to put up 1200 bales a yr to feed every winter , we tried the balege back in the 90's and it was an issue with spoilage because not enough people had done it in our area to learn the mistakes. The mice and hawks were constantly tearing holes in it.

Cutting hay at 8 - 10 weeks isn't what I want either, but it beats the alternative of having no hay to bale. At one of the hay and pasture classes we attended a speaker said if you use an inoculant you can start bailing hayledge right after you cut with no dry time at all.

highgrit said:
m5farm said:

Cutting hay at 8 - 10 weeks isn't what I want either, but it beats the alternative of having no hay to bale. At one of the hay and pasture classes we attended a speaker said if you use an inoculant you can start bailing hayledge right after you cut with no dry time at all.

propionic acid I know is used out west to bale hay and 20 to 24% moisture is ideal From what Anguscowman has told me. Im not sure if that what the use in balage

m5farm said:
highgrit said:
m5farm said:

propionic acid I know is used out west to bale hay and 20 to 24% moisture is ideal From what Anguscowman has told me. Im not sure if that what the use in balage

This fellow said the inoculant worked both ways, from a high moister of 75% to a low of 14%. The added cost was $2 a bale for the inoculant, sounded to good to be true?

not that im against technology but its always been a challenge to make hay in the south east. so Keeping it as economical as possible is the key, knowing you will have to have some type of supplement thru the winter whether it be winter grazing , Feed or syrup . that's just a fact of life and the price we pay for getting high stocking rates in the summer most years

When you guys make statements like, "$2.00 a bale", what is the referenced bale size? Are they 100 lb squares, 800 lb rounds or 1,000 lb 3x4 squares? The conversation was silage baling. So, I am assuming rounds?

PPRM said:
When you guys make statements like, "$2.00 a bale", what is the referenced bale size? Are they 100 lb squares, 800 lb rounds or 1,000 lb 3x4 squares? The conversation was silage baling. So, I am assuming rounds?
Pprm , here in Southeast it's rounds . most are 4x5 now if it travels off the farm . dot has cracked down on the 5x6 bales. My baler makes a 4x5 and they are in the 900# range. There are some square balers around for horse folks but the bales are only 70# or so , most buy rounds if they have more than one or 2 horses

As of this very minute we have 20% today Saturday and Sunday , I'm headed to lay it down. With a little luck I can get this done by Sunday

I'm sure glad I didn't cut at Cedar Grove, good rain there. I'm planning on cutting it down tomorrow. I only have 7 acres left to cut at the house.

I just got back from Town and a few wet spots on highway just light rain in spots , tedder it tomorrow maybe twice take and bale Sunday Lord willing

We need lights on to do anything like reading right now, but which is it, eclipse, or just storm clouds??? Can't really tell, but sure could use some more rain. Probably can see the eclipse better on TV or internet from here, cloudy or clear. May be some disappointed 'viewers' if it is this overcast in prime viewing areas.

mrj

Im in about 86% totality for the eclipse , You can see a slight change in light outside , a little overcast and a few spotty showers popping up so it may obscure it. I just walked out with the welding helmet and its about 25% covered. I got the hay baled yesterday so hopefully we get a shower the next few day after i get fertilizer put out

m5farm said:
Im in about 86% totality for the eclipse , You can see a slight change in light outside , a little overcast and a few spotty showers popping up so it may obscure it. I just walked out with the welding helmet and its about 25% covered. I got the hay baled yesterday so hopefully we get a shower the next few day after i get fertilizer put out

We were in a 97% area. I was changing a hose on a hydraulic chute and able to stop occasionally and watch.

I was alive for the one in 1979. I remember nothing of it. So, in a way, I was braced for it not being more than what it was. I read about what to expect though. The cool breeze and drop in temperature was pretty cool. We didn't get dark, more like when my self tinting glasses respond to stepping outside.

I forgot to check out shadows. Some friends posted pictures that were pretty cool in that regard. We have friend that are self proclaimed science nerds. They posted really cool pictures as they had the right camera to do so. They also had the right telescope to watch.

I think the other thing.... It felt like people kind of came together for a moment without tearing each other down. Maybe even like God was saying, "Can I get your attention for just a moment?". I enjoyed it.

My favorite quote, "The eclipse was a raging success. We love can see why the Ancients went to extremes to keep the Asunción God happy...human sacrifices? Why not? It couldn't hurt."..... Ummmm Except those being sacrificed.

We were in a 68% area, I got to see the sun about 20% covered before it clouded over. First clouds we've had in days, then it cleared right up as soon as the eclipse was over lol. But it was way better than the letdown I experience in 1979 as that eclipse was completely cloud obscured.

All the Eclipse did here was cause it to rain. The hay was to wet to bale yesterday but the weather is looking good to finally finish up with the baling today.

highgrit said:
All the Eclipse did here was cause it to rain. The hay was to wet to bale yesterday but the weather is looking good to finally finish up with the baling today.

forecast looks decent the next 2 days with 20% but Ive had more hay wet with 20% than 40% , kick it in high gear and get it wadded up

Here in south western Virginia just hoping for 2nd cutting . Been very dry.

Latest posts