• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay prices.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

3words

Reaction score
Just wondering what hay prices are in other places?We got a lot of hay baled this year,that is in excellent condition but with so many cows sold in the area,we have no market for hay anymore.

Neighbor is a bull hauler , their loading pots with alfalfa squares bound for texas . he claims 400$ ton there . But the first liar never stands a chance in this world .thats a 1200 mile run out there .

Good Alfalfa from 180 to 225
Cow hay or grinding from 120 to 140
Grass 70 to 90
Straw 50 to 70
I dont see how any of these prices will go down until hay starts to be put up next year, most places are about done with the bulk of the hay this year or close to it and from about interstate 70 in Kansas south it just gets drier and drier. Have heard that there is no cattle on pasture in texas and another 2 weeks of 100 to 110 there wont be any left in oklahoma. As of now there is not much corn left in southern kansas, either chopped or baled.

So are there any area's that are looking for hay,or are they selling the cows instead?Freight would probably be to much to get it to far anyways.

I know a few guys buying hay in Canada, and shipping south. not much margin left when they are all said and done, so I have been hesitating to go that far. buying the hell out of it around here though.... good bright brome in net wrap will be as high as a kite this winter!. drop me a pm with what you have to sell, and I can see what I can do.

3words said:
So are there any area's that are looking for hay,or are they selling the cows instead?Freight would probably be to much to get it to far anyways.

South of you- along the MT Hiline and the Milk and Missouri- there was a lot of hayland lost to flooding this year...Quite a few are having to buy most there yearly hay supply... Luckily there is about the biggest crop of prairie hay ever- and in the last couple of days the government declared the county a disaster- and opened up the CRP program to haying-- so there may be enough produced locally to get by..

alfalfa in Texas is around $300 a ton, grass hay is pretty much non existant or any other kind of hay for that matter. What coastal i've seen around they are asking about $100 a bale and they don't look to be weighing much

I sold all of mine in april for $110 per ton no rejects put up the very best i can ( which the way things have gone first cutting is a good thing). Feeder hay around here is running anywhere from a $100 to $120 and most guys are selling little bales of horse hay around $130 per ton.

Carter said:
alfalfa in Texas is around $300 a ton, grass hay is pretty much non existant or any other kind of hay for that matter. What coastal i've seen around they are asking about $100 a bale and they don't look to be weighing much

Any idiot that would pay $100 for a round bale deserves to go out of business. A cow will eat/waste 50# per day. So you get 20 days per head out of a round bale. This alone would cost over $5 per day or a $1825 per year annualized. Just sell the damn cows.

Latest posts