• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hay+Rain=Big headache! Anyone else?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

It would be great to have hay that we can't cut because of rain.And its not looking like we'll even be able to think of a first cutting let alone a second....

Mrs.Greg said:
It would be great to have hay that we can't cut because of rain.And its not looking like we'll even be able to think of a first cutting let alone a second....

Only have 2 hay fields left that haven't been grazed and they are so far not growing back. Shouldn't have to worry about how much time will be spent haying. Could fill that time in on the golf course. At least it will be green.

Hardly anyone has cut 1st cutting yet, those who did got it rained on. One guy at Vale gave his away it got rained on so much. We were hoping to start tomorrow morning but it is pouring out. The alfalfa is laying down and slimy underneath. Mike tends to get cranky about stuff like this...This morning he said "all I can think about is all the canadians (texans too) who aren't going to have anything to feed thier cows" Puts things in perspective.

Trinity man said:
jigs said:
we put up the entire 1st cutting and out of 600 acres, only 40 got rained on....first time in 4 years we got that much done on the first. usually end up with a LOT of rained on hay. hate to sound pompous, but i LOVE to hear Texas is dry....best money I ever made was during a Texas drought, those boys drive up with CASH.....

Well I guess you will make good money this year to. If we don't get any rain I will be looking for hay.

keep me in mind, we have plenty!

I Luv Herfrds said:
Just started raining here about 2 hours ago. HURRAY!!!
Heard reports from some neighbors that the hay they are getting is not worth spit.
We haven't laid anything down yet. The JD 4010 that we run the baler on is down for a engine rebuild. Parts problems.

Say another neighbor roading his baler somewhere this morning.

I came home from an old classmates 60th birthday/new barn party last night about 11 and it was lightning every direction around us....
That rain split- just dryslotted our county..Both east and west of us got rains of an inch or more in places- we got 10 drops....
Radar looks like Big Muddy could be getting a little this morning still..

Total moisture here since January 1, 2009 from the NWS

January......... .07
February....... .15
March........... .00
April............. 2.15
May.............. .68
June............ 1.22

Total........... 4.27

SINCE JAN 1 3.48
Normal 5.12
Difference-1.64
Last Year this date 8.26

We had decent early moisture- but June is our big rain month usually giving us about 2 1/2 inches-- but so far in June we've only had .51...
And after about the 20th- the chances really drop...

Oldtimer said:
[ looks like Big Muddy could be getting a little this morning still..

that lucky sonn of a gun....must be that purple cap that gives him the energy to go all night !

I finished seeding on the 12th we had'nt had any rain to speak of before that but since we've had 3 or 4 inches near as I can tell as I was gone to Vegas for a week. Things have really greened up but the tame hayfields are going to be lite on hay. I put in a 115 acres of corn for silage so It'll be fine if we keep getting some timely rain's..

Rain again last night.

There is hay cut and brown all over around here. There even appears to be some that has been down long enough the new crop is trying to grow up through it. Ick! Guess it might be better then eating snow this winter.

The corn in the valley is maybe 5 inches tall. Between the rain and hail they have been getting not to sure how that crop is going to turn out. Isn't there a saying knee high by the fourth of July?

I got most of my 1st cutting wet but the second cutting came up good and dry. Now I need some rain to start growing the 3rd.

We have been gone and just got back. The neighbors say the hay isn't drying good. And the farmers can't get in the fields to get their
wheat sprayed. The ranchers are happy, the country looks as green
as I can remember. It hasn't rained for a few days now. We were at
Spearfish and it rained every day we were there. (Wed-Sun.)
They haven't cut much hay there yet.

I feel so bad for our northern neighbors and southern folks who are
in dry conditions. I like it to rain everywhere...

cut 100 acres of alfalfa last sunday and monday, at least half probably would have baled tomorrow.......except, we got just about an inch about 4:00 this afternoon........ugh, i won't complain about moisture, we know what a drought feels like, but at the same time........ :mad:
H, i guess that hay you are coming after will have been rained on :?

jigs said:
Trinity man said:
jigs said:
we put up the entire 1st cutting and out of 600 acres, only 40 got rained on....first time in 4 years we got that much done on the first. usually end up with a LOT of rained on hay. hate to sound pompous, but i LOVE to hear Texas is dry....best money I ever made was during a Texas drought, those boys drive up with CASH.....

Well I guess you will make good money this year to. If we don't get any rain I will be looking for hay.

keep me in mind, we have plenty!

You bet I will. I long with many other ranchers in the area. The best thing is I have a friend that is in the trucking business now and is always look for back hauls to Texas.

Latest posts