• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Haying ??

Help Support Ranchers.net:

hillsdown

Reaction score
Anyone else in my area brave enough to start cutting ?

We are supposed to get 4 days with only a couple of mls before Wed where they are forecasting 2 inches. Usually we are all done by now. Hoping to get at least a few outside rounds cut and baled. Not brave enough to knock it all down.

The neighbors swathed 50 acres last week and it is now black .Why they kept cutting WHILE it was raining is beyond me. Summers like this make me question whether we should be buying a plastic wrap baler . :roll:

I am sure our old friend D Fox is having a very profitable summer this year. :wink:

and where is your area?

i agree not to cut it all at once especially when the hay isn't burning

green coarse hay is worth way more than black protein :lol: :lol:

GC .,if you design one I will be your first customer . :D

Hayguy , we are 15 minutes east of Red Deer 5 minutes North of Pine Lake.

Well we are cutting and so is everyone else around here, we will see how far we want to go in a few hours and if the forecast changes .

Our new to us, old to everyone else hydra swing discbine :lol:
285594_2124548470002_1134577259_2541648_1536906_n.jpg

Lots of hay ,this is a young alfalfa/mixed grass stand only 2 years old.
283046_2124552390100_1134577259_2541663_6781582_n.jpg

269022_2124551790085_1134577259_2541661_41922_n.jpg

The Boss :wink:
281740_2124550910063_1134577259_2541656_7258924_n.jpg

Had to add another pic of my girl ♥ ,taken when we were out for our walk the other day. Nikki taking time to smell the flowers, life is pretty good for her right now.
269809_2098832147110_1134577259_2507675_8307162_n.jpg

Hd, I started cutting on Thursday with a similar 1340 Heston than the one you pictured. You never know how the weather is going to be especially you can't depend on the forecast.

Yep Per ,that is what it is. A 2000, 1340 Heston . Hubby did 8 rounds and then we decided to just wait and see. Better to cut late than have blk hay that is no good for the girls.

Thanks FH , she is doing really well . Will know in the next couple of weeks what her winter will have in store for her.

I decided to wait last year,and i still ended up with a lot of black hay.All depends on when you feel lucky and go like he!!,and watch it all get rained on the next day.Pulled in and cut a quarter the other day,just to watch it get 3 inchs of rain the following day,that the weather forecast forgot to tell us about.

We'd take that three inches of rain.
We haven't had moisture since right before the 4th of July.
Yesterday it got to 95 degrees and you could just
watch the hay turn.

We don't normally rake hay, but the wind blew our windrows around,
so we are going to rake them and now the forcast calls for 40 mph
winds tomorrow. And it's gonna be HOT. Hopefully we can get
the raked hay baled so we'll know where the hay is when the wind
stops. :D

Faster horses said:
watch the hay turn.

So are you going to be the raker girl today and Mr. FH can follow you with the baler? :D

3words said:
I decided to wait last year,and i still ended up with a lot of black hay.All depends on when you feel lucky and go like he!!,and watch it all get rained on the next day.Pulled in and cut a quarter the other day,just to watch it get 3 inchs of rain the following day,that the weather forecast forgot to tell us about.

our weather guesser would get on tv and say "ooops didn't see that coming"

the only job where you can be wrong 50% of the time and still have a job. :D :lol: :lol:

Faster horses said:
watch the hay turn.

Just looked at the forecast, didn't see that much wind in it unless it is with one of the thunderstorms. I don't need the heat thing are curing fast enough the way it is. I rake most of my hay but try not to have the rake more than an hour ahead of the baler.
Here's the forecast I looked at for your area:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=46.36967413462374&lon=-104.26437377929688&site=ggw&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

Cedarcreek said:
Faster horses said:
watch the hay turn.

Just looked at the forecast, didn't see that much wind in it unless it is with one of the thunderstorms. I don't need the heat thing are curing fast enough the way it is. I rake most of my hay but try not to have the rake more than an hour ahead of the baler.
Here's the forecast I looked at for your area:
http://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=46.36967413462374&lon=-104.26437377929688&site=ggw&unit=0&lg=en&FcstType=text

They are forecasting for us to drop back down into the low 80's around Thursday after 4-5 days of near 100 temps... Which would be plumb fine...
We've picked up about .75 of moisture last week in thunderstorms going thru- which slowed haying a little....
The big thing that scares me with the nightly thunderstorms/lightning and 2-3 foot tall grass everywhere with this heat is fires... If we don't keep picking up a little moisture with these storms- this could be one terrible fire year....

We finished cutting the grass and alfalfa last week, only about a day or so of baling left. Now we have some pasture spots we might patch out and 70 acres of an older stand of alfalfa that we drilled a half a stand of Hay Barley into that looks pretty good. I hope we catch a rain this week as the heat will do a number on the corn, millet and sunflowers in the area. They look good now, but will need a drink by the time this is over.

got shut down baling here this aft, too dry, hope to get whats cut baled tomorrow am before it gets to hot again. showers forecast for wed. and thurs. hate playing the waiting game.

which city forecast do you use hillsdown?

Latest posts