• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

haymaker are you a Baptist

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
The Cowboy Baptist

A cowboy walks into a bar in Texas, orders three mugs of beer
and sits in the back room, drinking a sip out of each one in turn.

When he finishes them, he comes back to the bar and orders three more.

The bartender approaches and tells him, "You know, a mug goes
flat after I draw it so it would taste better if you bought just
one at a time."

The cowboy replies, "Well, you see, I have two brothers. One is
in Australia, the other is in Dublin and I'm in Texas. When we
all left Wyoming, we promised that we'd drink this way to
remember the days we were together. So I drink one for each of
my brothers and one for myself."

The bartender admits that this is a nice custom and leaves it
there. The cowboy becomes a regular in the bar, and always
drinks the same way. He orders three mugs and drinks them in
turn.

One day, he comes in and orders only two mugs!

All the regulars take notice and fall silent. When he comes
back to the bar for the second round, the bartender says,
"I don't want to intrude on your grief, but I wanted to offer my
condolences on your loss."

The cowboy looks quite puzzled for a moment, then a light dawns
and he laughs. "Oh, no, everybody's just fine," he explains...

"It's just that my wife and I joined the Baptist Church and
obviously I had to quit drinking.

Hasn't affected my brothers though."

No baptists around here,lots of Methodists though,why are you testing 30 bull calves,sounds like you got big plans for those watusi/long horn crosses.What did those girls charge you per head............good luck

We tested 30 bulls only 5 were calves. It is a good idea to check older bulls as they can freeze their scrotums in the winters we have. no sense turning a dud bull out with the cows. Not sure what the testing cost but it will be enough as that is the one thing that vets know how to do. Probably around $50 per bull, we will use most of those bulls and a couple are sold. Still have 6 yearlings not tested as spares or for virgins for next year.

it is hot and humid here today but we only got 2 tenths last night. Radio is talking tornado warning around the area.

I hope you dont get any tornadoes,but I bet you could use a good 3 inch rain I know we could ,April went down as driest on record I think I got a couple inches the last part of May and not a drop yet in June.I hope we get some rain soon as the sudan fields arent gonna be worth cutting if we dont ,its already stunted and heading out............good luck

Big Muddy rancher said:
We tested 30 bulls only 5 were calves. It is a good idea to check older bulls as they can freeze their scrotums in the winters we have. no sense turning a dud bull out with the cows. Not sure what the testing cost but it will be enough as that is the one thing that vets know how to do. Probably around $50 per bull, we will use most of those bulls and a couple are sold. Still have 6 yearlings not tested as spares or for virgins for next year.

it is hot and humid here today but we only got 2 tenths last night. Radio is talking tornado warning around the area.
Big Muddy - The "Big Muddy" is the longest river in the US. Where exactly on it are you located? Years ago I had to swim horses and calves out of our barn when 'The Big Muddy' spread her wings and flooded. That was before all the dams up river. DOC

Big Muddy-- Thunderstorms went thru here tonite- just about ending.... hearing reports of anywhere from 1/2 inch to 3 inchs of rain-- little bit of pea size hail and wind...Looks like its heading for you if it don't fizzle out going across the border......

DOC HARRIS said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Big Muddy - The "Big Muddy" is the longest river in the US. Where exactly on it are you located? Years ago I had to swim horses and calves out of our barn when 'The Big Muddy' spread her wings and flooded. That was before all the dams up river. DOC

i am at the head waters of the Big Muddy creek just where it crosses into Montana.Not alot of water at this end but after it crosses the border all the creeks that empty into it make it bigger and lose their name and become the Big muddy as it heads to the Yellowstone and Missouri.. Out across the flat looking valley floor the water runs north but on our side of the valley it runs south.

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy-- Thunderstorms went thru here tonite- just about ending.... hearing reports of anywhere from 1/2 inch to 3 inchs of rain-- little bit of pea size hail and wind...Looks like its heading for you if it don't fizzle out going across the border......

Wind ,thunder and lightening and a little rain here. This afternoon a town south of Swift Current was hit with a tornado and quite abit of damage and the city of Melville was flooded with 5inches in a couple of hours the night before.

"Not sure what the testing cost but it will be enough as that is the one thing that vets know how to do."

I was watching "All Creatures Great and Small" on PBS last night and a farmer expressed the same sentiment after one of the vets finished looking at a ewe, except he phrased it, "You're not afraid to charge, now are you!"

Kind of struck my funny bone then and now when I read it in your post. With the way the Veterinary profession is going now days though, I'd be thankful that you have a large animal vet around to do that work.

Radar said:
"Not sure what the testing cost but it will be enough as that is the one thing that vets know how to do."

I was watching "All Creatures Great and Small" on PBS last night and a farmer expressed the same sentiment after one of the vets finished looking at a ewe, except he phrased it, "You're not afraid to charge, now are you!"

Kind of struck my funny bone then and now when I read it in your post. With the way the Veterinary profession is going now days though, I'd be thankful that you have a large animal vet around to do that work.

Yes I understand that but with cows worth $250 dollars and a C-section $500 makes you think before you pick up that phone. The cost of drugs is probably the highest cost. Our stud horse hurt his eye and it was $53.83 services and $206.40 in drugs.

I get where you are coming from BMR.

Makes me wonder, what do folks on here pay for standard vet sevices? How does your vet charge (i.e. minute, job?). What are standard fees for calvings, c-sections, preg-check (with and w/o ultrasound), soundness exams.....etc......? I know from some posts a while back many of you take cattle to haul in facilities, I was just curious what rates were around the country.

Latest posts