• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Haymaker you got fire ants?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Just wondering if you got these dang fire ants out your way. First cutting of hay in some of this gumbo soil is pure hell. It gums up under the cutter bar and drags over the grass - when the soil is still damp.

Wish I could find a few tons of Chlordane or DDT.

Yeah I got fire ants by the millions,that and those damn red wasps,I swear those SOB s can see me coming and they stiffen up with their ass in the air and you better light out,cause here they come.casa paloma had posted that you could get some bounce, that the girls put in clothes dryers. And that would deter yellow jackets,so I thought I would try it on those red devils ,bad mistake,same as last year bit me up good,cept this time I didnt trip over my ole fat cow dog like I did last year damn things bit me and my dog and big dummie had the brass to accuse me of being drunk..........good luck

Fireants......................lovely critters aint they.....when they aint out to git ya...they find their way into yer house for some lil tid bit the dog missed pickin up.....them thang'sll crawl for miles for food !!!!

Sorry about the wasps Haymaker. The note I got was that Bounce worked to repel them....guess that theory was disproved. I know that they can outrun a John Deere - but I didn't have my Bounce with me at the time. Maybe that Bounce will work to repel fire ants. I wonder how many sheets it would take to cover an ant hill. Maybe I'll test that theory out and see what happens.

Casa Paloma said:
Sorry about the wasps Haymaker. The note I got was that Bounce worked to repel them....guess that theory was disproved. I know that they can outrun a John Deere - but I didn't have my Bounce with me at the time. Maybe that Bounce will work to repel fire ants. I wonder how many sheets it would take to cover an ant hill. Maybe I'll test that theory out and see what happens.

It might work on fire ants & yellow jackets.I just thought I would try it on these red wasps,made me a kerchief out of about half a dozen and wrapped it roun my neck.When those damn things seen me, NOOOO HESITATION my damn ears still hurt...........good luck

They have been releasing a wasp in Alabama that will attack the fire ants. It is called the "decapitating wasp." Alabama has a website about fire ants control. If I can find it, again I will attach a link.

Lots of good info here: http://www.aces.edu/dept/fireants/

Alabama said:
They have been releasing a wasp in Alabama that will attack the fire ants. It is called the "decapitating wasp." Alabama has a website about fire ants control. If I can find it, again I will attach a link.

Oh great! Next we'll be consumed with wasps. Kinda like what happened in Florida with the "Lovebugs". They put them out to eat moquitos, then first thing you know they took over. Then they came up with the bright idea of bringing in some kind of bird to eat the "Lovebugs".

Somehow the public got wind of it and put their foot down and said: "enough is enough".

HAY MAKER said:
Yeah I got fire ants by the millions,that and those damn red wasps,I swear those SOB s can see me coming and they stiffen up with their ass in the air and you better light out,cause here they come.casa paloma had posted that you could get some bounce, that the girls put in clothes dryers. And that would deter yellow jackets,so I thought I would try it on those red devils ,bad mistake,same as last year bit me up good,cept this time I didnt trip over my ole fat cow dog like I did last year damn things bit me and my dog and big dummie had the brass to accuse me of being drunk..........good luck

Are you bragging or complaining? I heard that Honey on your hat will keep the bees away. Give it a try-let me know the results!!!

Mike said:
Alabama said:

Oh great! Next we'll be consumed with wasps. Kinda like what happened in Florida with the "Lovebugs". They put them out to eat moquitos, then first thing you know they took over. Then they came up with the bright idea of bringing in some kind of bird to eat the "Lovebugs".

Somehow the public got wind of it and put their foot down and said: "enough is enough".

Reminds me of the old song/poem "there was an old woman who swollowed the fly" :lol:

agman said:
HAY MAKER said:

Are you bragging or complaining? I heard that Honey on your hat will keep the bees away. Give it a try-let me know the results!!!

Only Honey IM gonna put on my hat ,will have big blue eyes,105lbs
blonde hair ,bout 5ft.tall..............good luck

One day mowing hay quite a few years ago, the gnats were swarming around making it almost impossible to sit on a tractor. The fellow working with me on the project suggested that we soak some old rags in diesel and hoist the rags high in the sky on a stick attached to the tractor. For some reason the gnats swarmed around the diesel-covered rag instead of our faces. It stunk, but offered a bit of relief to our problem.

I spent basic training in Ft. Benning, GA. A guy learned to check the ground before pitching a tent. Ants may come, but it didn't make much sense of pitching a tent on a nest.

On the subject of wasps, we were doing some training out in the woods when this one fellow from SC (this guy was true hillbilly, he once told me he dated his cousin) somehow got a wasp nest caught between his leg and his gas mask case. He was running around, doing gyrations, and flailing his arms in the air. Naturally, our drill sargeants were less than impressed and proceded to verbally reprimand this individual. To which this hillbilly responded "I got bees on me drill sargeant!"

He eventually was able to rid himself of the nest, but by that time the whole platoon was rolling with laughter.

Radar said:
I spent basic training in Ft. Benning, GA. A guy learned to check the ground before pitching a tent. Ants may come, but it didn't make much sense of pitching a tent on a nest.

On the subject of wasps, we were doing some training out in the woods when this one fellow from SC (this guy was true hillbilly, he once told me he dated his cousin) somehow got a wasp nest caught between his leg and his gas mask case. He was running around, doing gyrations, and flailing his arms in the air. Naturally, our drill sargeants were less than impressed and proceded to verbally reprimand this individual. To which this hillbilly responded "I got bees on me drill sargeant!"

He eventually was able to rid himself of the nest, but by that time the whole platoon was rolling with laughter.

Your post brings up images of Gomer Pyle-

"GOLLLEEEEEEEEEE - SARGENT CARTER!

Some years ago, we got hold of some Orthene which was to be used for grasshoppers. Found that a spoonful of the powder on an ant hill will wipe them out. I use a gallon jug with a perforated lid. Don't buy this from a retail store, it costs. Agricultural chemical dealers and get it for you.

I doubt that a person could clear a very large area of fireants, but you sure can keep them away from your house. Plus it give you a sense of satisfaction to see the little SOB's laying there dead.

My son, who is in the mnilitary, had a problem with fireants in Georgia. Orthene kept them away from pets and people.

Andros will knock them back but it takes a while. Andros is now packaged in a 50 pound bad designed to be brodcast in hay fields and pasture. I saw some at the coop op the other day. It will run about $10 to $15 an acre.

Latest posts