• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Haymaker

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Shelly

Reaction score
I know you're interested in old tractors, so I have something to share. About 15 years ago, my father-in-law bought a Farmall A that was literally in bits and pieces. Brought it home, and then it sat, untouched....till now. My husband drug it all up to the quonset last week, started getting parts for it and putting it back together. Last night, him and our best friend put in 8 long hours on it, and today with a few more small parts and a little luck, it will run. Today is his dad's 81st birthday. His dad has gone downhill, healthwise and headwise. We hope to bring a smile to his face when he sees this tractor running after all these years. The tractor won't be pretty, but at least it'll be moving under it's own power. Everyone, cross your fingers for us!

And now maybe after today, we can get back to seeding and spraying! :?

Shelly said:
I know you're interested in old tractors, so I have something to share. About 15 years ago, my father-in-law bought a Farmall A that was literally in bits and pieces. Brought it home, and then it sat, untouched....till now. My husband drug it all up to the quonset last week, started getting parts for it and putting it back together. Last night, him and our best friend put in 8 long hours on it, and today with a few more small parts and a little luck, it will run. Today is his dad's 81st birthday. His dad has gone downhill, healthwise and headwise. We hope to bring a smile to his face when he sees this tractor running after all these years. The tractor won't be pretty, but at least it'll be moving under it's own power. Everyone, cross your fingers for us!

And now maybe after today, we can get back to seeding and spraying! :?

I sure hope he gets it running and his Dad gets to drive it around a little,be a nice gift for an old man,and I bet it will bring a smile to his face...............good luck Shelly

Haymaker: I found an old JD the other day that you might want to check out. It is a 2-banger gas and still has air in the tires. It is parked outside where it was parked when the man that owned it died. He wife let me take some pictures of it and she wants to sell it but would give no price. Would you like me to send you some pictures? She said it was a one-row tractor used in the garden and to rake hay. They bought it used 30 years ago. I think it is a 1950 somthing.

Alabama said:
Haymaker: I found an old JD the other day that you might want to check out. It is a 2-banger gas and still has air in the tires. It is parked outside where it was parked when the man that owned it died. He wife let me take some pictures of it and she wants to sell it but would give no price. Would you like me to send you some pictures? She said it was a one-row tractor used in the garden and to rake hay. They bought it used 30 years ago. I think it is a 1950 somthing.

Yes Alabama,if it aint alot of trouble send me some pictures.I usually stick with old John Deeres that are what we call unstyled they were made in the thirties,but might know some one that would like a 50's model..........good luck

I don't have the disk with me but I will e-mail the pictures to you tomorrow when I try to post some other pictures. If I don't run off and forget the disk like I did this morning.
She also has an old fuel tank about 250 gallon. The pump and hose rotten and no fuel or water in the tank. I was wondering what it might be worth or would it be worth trying to get it back in operation.

Alabama said:
I don't have the disk with me but I will e-mail the pictures to you tomorrow when I try to post some other pictures. If I don't run off and forget the disk like I did this morning.
She also has an old fuel tank about 250 gallon. The pump and hose rotten and no fuel or water in the tank. I was wondering what it might be worth or would it be worth trying to get it back in operation.

New fuel tanks sell for about a dollar-a-gallon. Watch for rust in it!

Well, they did it! The husband and friend got that tractor running! I am so proud of both of them. And the look on the father-in-law's face as he was helped into the seat and drove the tractor around the yard, well, let's just say, it was hard to look through the camera lens because I had tears in my eyes. :oops: The old guy had a grin on his face that went from ear to ear! It was a wonderful sight to behold.

Shelly said:
Well, they did it! The husband and friend got that tractor running! I am so proud of both of them. And the look on the father-in-law's face as he was helped into the seat and drove the tractor around the yard, well, let's just say, it was hard to look through the camera lens because I had tears in my eyes. :oops: The old guy had a grin on his face that went from ear to ear! It was a wonderful sight to behold.

Sure would like to see that picture!

Shelly said:

Shelly I hope you are gonna post those pictures???????............good luck Shelly

I would like to but I don't have a digital camera. I'm not that modern yet, and gadgets terrify me! :wink:

Shelly said:
I would like to but I don't have a digital camera. I'm not that modern yet, and gadgets terrify me! :wink:

You can have them scanned by whoever develops the pictures and put on a disk! Walmart does it for about $3.00, I think?

Shelly said:

Shelly, that is wonderful! Congratulations to your husband and friend. Also to your father-in-law. He is very lucky to have a son like that!

Latest posts