• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Heartbroken 16 year old!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

ranchwife

Reaction score
As i sit here writing to all of you, my 16 year old daughter lays on the couch, in a fetal position, sobbing quietly! You see, her year old Jack Russell Terrier named Champ has disappeared! He had taken up the bad habit of travelling our drive to the main highway (located almost 2 miles away) and sitting at the cattle guard and waiting for family members to return from town! I absolutely hate to see dogs chained up, so I made the mistake of hoping he would simply grow out of the problem! Our vet told me the best thing to do was get Champ "fixed".....so, I did! This "solution" seemed to work....for a week, anyway! The last we saw of Champ was approximately 36 hours ago! He is super friendly and loves all people so it would not surprise me at all if someone saw him sitting there on the side of the road and called to him and he jumped in their vehicle and off they went! So, please keep your eyes and ears open for Champ! He is one year old, has a rod in his right femur (from a 4-wheeler accident when he was only 4 months old), is mostly white except for a black tail and a full black mask and is neutered! Jessica would be happy knowing that Champ is safe, taken care of and is being loved! Not knowing where he is or how he is doing is the worst part for her! Her heart is simply broken! Any suggestions on how to get her through this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and a good night to you all!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

I sure hope you find your pup. I know how heart broken I would be without my lil dog. Hope you get him back for the sake of your daughter. Tell her to keep her chin up. Wish I could help!

ranchwife said:
As i sit here writing to all of you, my 16 year old daughter lays on the couch, in a fetal position, sobbing quietly! You see, her year old Jack Russell Terrier named Champ has disappeared! He had taken up the bad habit of travelling our drive to the main highway (located almost 2 miles away) and sitting at the cattle guard and waiting for family members to return from town! I absolutely hate to see dogs chained up, so I made the mistake of hoping he would simply grow out of the problem! Our vet told me the best thing to do was get Champ "fixed".....so, I did! This "solution" seemed to work....for a week, anyway! The last we saw of Champ was approximately 36 hours ago! He is super friendly and loves all people so it would not surprise me at all if someone saw him sitting there on the side of the road and called to him and he jumped in their vehicle and off they went! So, please keep your eyes and ears open for Champ! He is one year old, has a rod in his right femur (from a 4-wheeler accident when he was only 4 months old), is mostly white except for a black tail and a full black mask and is neutered! Jessica would be happy knowing that Champ is safe, taken care of and is being loved! Not knowing where he is or how he is doing is the worst part for her! Her heart is simply broken! Any suggestions on how to get her through this would be greatly appreciated! Thank you and a good night to you all!!!! :cry: :cry: :cry:

This works. You sit down and pray that God will either bring Champ home or take care of him according to His plan and give peace of mind.

Our son still remembers when he was in about second grade his new bike with new stickers disappeared. He said he asked God to bring it back and asked us if God would. Gulp! We said hopefully that would be the answer if it was HIs will.
So nothing happened.
Then one day he hopped excitedly off the school bus and said he'd spied his bike somewhere along the bus route in someone's yard. Sure enough, so he snagged it with its telltale stickers and one happy boy. He remembers that answer to prayer to this day.
Years later he gave his fiance a diamond engagement ring set by a friend. She was in college and working weekends at a bakery/restaurant. She returned home after work one night and noticed the diamond was gone! She prayed with her mom and they backtracked looking everywhere for that little diamond (Not any huge rock of a diamond!) and found it lodged under a payphone probably swept by a broom or something. :D
I really believe God loves us like the perfect and best father would and wants the very best for us so sometimes allows these painful challenges to help us trust Him more and grow to maturity. Now if I could just remember that DURING the frustration :mad: :!: :wink:

I hope Champ comes back into your life quickly with all waggle intact.

AaAAAwwww It is so hard to watch your kiddos go through life's tough hurdles. As a parent you would like to think you could fix any problem that might come up, then feel so helpless when you can't.

Although I prefer nr's thinking...

Our daughter lost her favorite dog and never did find it. She has a picture of that dog today, on her counter and she lost her over 18 years ago.

It is just damn tough to get over losing a favorite pet.

I am so sorry this happened. It seems it is worse when it happens to young girls. They feel things so intensely.

Poor little girl... :cry2: :help: :heart:

I had a similar fate happen a few years again and it did have a happy ending. When moving to the area we are now, we put our dogs in the back section of the trailer. Our clothes were in the truck and we thought they'd enjoy it back there better anyway. When we got here, my dog Cowboy was gone. I was devasted. I drove the 2 hour trip to the old place every day. I wasn't sure if he got out somehow on the drive or jumped out at the gas station when we left. Neither seemed possible since it was a featherlite with small air holes and he's a pretty stout blue heeler. I found him once standing in the median, he was so disoriented that he ran away from me. I put up a reward and signs all over that area and eventually one of the old farmers found him. He was gone for 3-4 weeks. He was very happy to see me and me him. I understand the fear of just not knowing. That was the hardest part for me. Tell your daughter to keep her head up and stay persistant, sometimes these things do end OK. Oh and by the way, Cowboy was found about half way from the old place and the new place. He either jumped out on the highway going about 80 miles an hour or he walked about 100 miles. Silly dog.

TXTibbs said:
If it is a Jack Russel, its still prolly bouncing off a tree somewhere trying to catch a rabbit or still digging in a badger hole somewhere. :wink:

Pretty close, Tibbs!! :D Our prayers (thanks for the suggestion, nr) were answered! Champ climbed into the cab of a tourists car and the people had a surge of guilt and dropped him off at the front door of the local vet! Fortunately, the vet knows us well and gave Jessica the call herself and said she had Champ....safe and sound!! Now, we getta find out how to keep him from "sight seeing"....i simply hate chaining up a dog, but will have to do so until we can scrounge up the money for a kennel!! Thank you all so very much for your kind words of support...sure meant alot to jessica!!

Now, we getta find out how to keep him from "sight seeing"....i simply hate chaining up a dog, but will have to do so until we can scrounge up the money for a kennel!!

Get one of those electronic collar jobs that will shock him when he leaves the yard.

Let my daughter run him over my dog has'nt left the yard in 2 months but she's now walking on all 4 legs.She even jumped on me this morning for a pet.

Glad to hear the good news. I think Mike had a good idea about the collar. Maybe that would help.

So glad to hear you got him back. :D

I work at a vet clinic, and we see this pretty much every day. People see a dog by the road, and assume it's lost. They pick it up, then drop it off at the next town. We've returned lots of them to their owners, but not all. The best one we had was a dog that followed his owner's tractor to town, lost track of it, went to the local gas station, and while a tourist was filling his truck with gas, jumped IN to his camper and rode off! They stopped at the next town and left the dog at a gas station there. The second gas station called the first one, they called us, and we just happened to have had a call from the owners saying they'd lost their dog! We told them they should change his name to Lucky.

All dogs (and cats too) would benefit by having a tattoo or a microchip. I can't count how many times a tattoo has returned animals we've ended up with. We also have to do the duty of the town pound, and house strays, so we see lots of them. Right now we have two dogs and about twelve cats. One cat in particular has a little pink collar with a bell, and is obviously someone's pet, but there is no other i.d. on it, and we've had it for almost two weeks. They just don't know to call us, even though we put ads out all the time. Someone somewhere is missing their pet too, and we just can't find them. Very frustrating. :?

I would recommend a tag with your phone number and the dogs name on it. I've even seen small metal cylinders that attach to a collar, and can hold a piece of paper with a note on it. Don't know where you buy them, but if he had a note saying "I live here, I'm not lost. Don't pick me up" it may help.

When the Corgi's were disappearing from my daughters county in Wyoming, one was returned that had a chip in place. Someone took the dog to the vet in Minnesota and the vet just happened to run a check and found the chip. Two dogs were missing from the same home in Wyoming. The female showed up at a local filling station, after being gone several days. The other was the one that the Minnesoa vet found.

Don't remember the whole story, but Kato's post about the chip brought this much back.

Our daughter never did get her Corgi back.

Mike said:
Now, we getta find out how to keep him from "sight seeing"....i simply hate chaining up a dog, but will have to do so until we can scrounge up the money for a kennel!!

Get one of those electronic collar jobs that will shock him when he leaves the yard.

We had the same problem but the electonic invisable fence really works well for Rita but our old fat dog, Bear, goes right through it. I think he is so fat and hard skinned he does not feel the schock. My step daughter had to put 2 collars on her Austrailian shepard but it sure got his attention with no more problems.

So happy you got your pup back home! :clap:

Latest posts