• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Heartbroken lil' lady

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
My wife went out this morning before she went to teach school and Little H's paint mare was laying dead in the corral. :( :( :( She hadn't struggled at all from the scene and hadn't given us a hint of any kind something was wrong. Came to feed fine the evening before when I did the chores. We think she just layed down and died. Maybe a heart problem but we will never know. She was 13. My daughter is heartbroken. Angie called me at work at 7:30 and I made arraignments to head for home. Angie went and got little H from school and we all had a long cry and said our goodbyes. Then I buried her out near a couple other great horses we have been privileged to throw a leg over. If ya'll could keep little H in your prayers or send kind thoughts out this a way I'd sure be in your debt. Its a damn tough deal for sure. Death is as much a part of life as birth, but the timing was surely a shock. Somewhere up yonder there's a kind, little paint mare, loping along, missing a little girl tonight. Ya'll remember to love your kids and grandkids and spouses as much as ya can. And always take the opportunity to give your horse a hug when ya turn them loose.

"Pumpkin"

So sorry for your family's great loss. Those great 'four legged friends' are such a wonderful part of the education of kids and it is just awfully hard to lose them, especially at such a young age. We have a pretty hill side where we have buried some 'good ones' over the past 58 years. Including two wonderful Weimaraner dogs and several great horses.

When the time is right, a new horse will help, and the good memories will warm the heart forever, after the edge of the grief softens a little.

mrj

Sad, it's tough when it's a old timer that has seen many a trail but tougher when it's a young horse ready to travel lots more trails.

Ranch kids learn some lesson awful young that city kids might never learn,

Remind Little H to remember the good times and all Pumpkin taught her so she can pass that knowledge on to a young horse.

Awww, so sorry about this. We all know how hard it is to loose a friend, and she is the age where her horse was probably one of her best friends. Give her a hug from Oregon for us.

Lil H...I've had a turn at what you're going through. It sucks. I've buried my favorite horse and an angus bull along with too many dogs, even a cat or two! I can't take away your hurt or undo whats happened but I can send you a big hug and wipe away your tears. Your Pumpkin gave you memories for a lifetime and experience to teach the next one. Prayers for you from Kansas.

Those family members not of our specie are just as hard to say farewell to. Time will help the heart, and highlight the memories. I got to bid a sudden farewell on July 4th. An old friend, missed terribly. She enjoyed an easy exit. In time something to be grateful for. Our sincerest condolences from Nebraska, Little H...

Little H, I feel so bad for you and your family. It's so tough to lose an old horse and even harder to lose a younger one that
you had so much faith and trust in. We are praying for comfort for you and again, I'm sorry and know your heart is hurting right now.

I took a moment and wrote my daughter a poem. Hope ya don't mind me sharing it with you all.

Heaven Sent
Not even sure how it happened exactly
and that may be the hardest part,
but a little paint mare lay dead in the corral
and it has almost crushed my heart.

No sign of trauma or struggle,
like she just layed down and died.
And I know that should be a comfort
but I still feel all torn up inside.

Lil' Pumpkin wasn't even my horse
she belonged to my daughter, it's true.
Who now kneels at her head, sobbing with grief,
while I wish there was something I could do.

I am her dad and she's only thirteen,
the very same age as her mare.
How can I take away all of this pain?
And let her see how much I care?

My mind drifts back to a salebarn,
why I went that day I can't recall.
Maybe selling a steer or buying a pig,
seems like summer or maybe early fall?

All the details have become pretty hazy
but what I remember so clear,
was a little paint mare walking into the ring,
I thought to myself, oh dear!

That same little girl was sittin by my side, only 4 years old,
as I looked at her momma with hope.
No way we'd be able afford one more horse
even a sweet lil' paint with a smooth lope.

When the bidding began and I raised up my hand
never thinking I had much of a chance.
But for four hundred and twenty five dollars,
Pumpkin came to live on our ranch!

The two of them grew up together.
A couple hearts bonded by love.
One little girl and one little horse,
bout' as perfect as heaven above.

They say angels live up there in heaven,
wearing halos and flying on wings.
They have beautiful voices and angelic choirs
must really know how to sing.

I've been told guardian angels abide there,
keeping track of the things that we do.
Gently nudging us away from trouble
and giving us a lift when we are feeling blue.

And Hailey, your guardian angel, has four hooves
and a mane and a tail.
And she lopes across the tops of the mountains,
and she still loves you without fail.

Close your eyes and you'll feel her nudge ya
and rub her nose across your chest.
That lil' paint mare is watching over you
and she wants you to do your best.

You'll fall in love with more horses
and you'll hurt a lot when they are gone.
But the joy that they bring and the memories made
will continue to carry on.

The privilege of owning horses
is a blessing sent from heaven to us.
And you'll get to ride Pumpkin again someday,
of that I know and I trust.

Farewell lil' mare, we all sure miss ya,
and we will hold ya in our hearts so close.
Run free on heavens high desert,
but come see Hailey when she needs ya the most.

From Dad to his amazing Daughter, with love

That was very well done, leanin' H. We are having a writer's group get-together at our ranch this coming Sunday, September 20th. It starts at noon, with dinner furnished, and we will all share writings on "childhood memories." With your permission, I'd feel honored to read this poem and of course give you credit for writing it. The other participants would very much take an interest and become emotionally involved with this sad happening, and it sure qualifies as a childhood memory.

Anyone who would like to come and join us at this get-together would be more than welcome to attend.

leanin' H said:
I took a moment and wrote my daughter a poem. Hope ya don't mind me sharing it with you all.

Heaven Sent
Not even sure how it happened exactly
and that may be the hardest part,
but a little paint mare lay dead in the corral
and it has almost crushed my heart.

No sign of trauma or struggle,
like she just layed down and died.
And I know that should be a comfort
but I still feel all torn up inside.

Lil' Pumpkin wasn't even my horse
she belonged to my daughter, it's true.
Who now kneels at her head, sobbing with grief,
while I wish there was something I could do.

I am her dad and she's only thirteen,
the very same age as her mare.
How can I take away all of this pain?
And let her see how much I care?

My mind drifts back to a salebarn,
why I went that day I can't recall.
Maybe selling a steer or buying a pig,
seems like summer or maybe early fall?

All the details have become pretty hazy
but what I remember so clear,
was a little paint mare walking into the ring,
I thought to myself, oh dear!

That same little girl was sittin by my side, only 4 years old,
as I looked at her momma with hope.
No way we'd be able afford one more horse
even a sweet lil' paint with a smooth lope.

When the bidding began and I raised up my hand
never thinking I had much of a chance.
But for four hundred and twenty five dollars,
Pumpkin came to live on our ranch!

The two of them grew up together.
A couple hearts bonded by love.
One little girl and one little horse,
bout' as perfect as heaven above.

They say angels live up there in heaven,
wearing halos and flying on wings.
They have beautiful voices and angelic choirs
must really know how to sing.

I've been told guardian angels abide there,
keeping track of the things that we do.
Gently nudging us away from trouble
and giving us a lift when we are feeling blue.

And Hailey, your guardian angel, has four hooves
and a mane and a tail.
And she lopes across the tops of the mountains,
and she still loves you without fail.

Close your eyes and you'll feel her nudge ya
and rub her nose across your chest.
That lil' paint mare is watching over you
and she wants you to do your best.

You'll fall in love with more horses
and you'll hurt a lot when they are gone.
But the joy that they bring and the memories made
will continue to carry on.

The privilege of owning horses
is a blessing sent from heaven to us.
And you'll get to ride Pumpkin again someday,
of that I know and I trust.

Farewell lil' mare, we all sure miss ya,
and we will hold ya in our hearts so close.
Run free on heavens high desert,
but come see Hailey when she needs ya the most.

From Dad to his amazing Daughter, with love

AHHH---

:clap: :cry2: :cry2: :cry2:

Soapweed said:
That was very well done, leanin' H. We are having a writer's group get-together at our ranch this coming Sunday, September 20th. It starts at noon, with dinner furnished, and we will all share writings on "childhood memories." With your permission, I'd feel honored to read this poem and of course give you credit for writing it. The other participants would very much take an interest and become emotionally involved with this sad happening, and it sure qualifies as a childhood memory.

Anyone who would like to come and join us at this get-together would be more than welcome to attend.

Soap, I'd be honored for you to read my poem. It's my small way of trying to help Lil' H see the bigger picture. When I write cowboy poetry, its usually pretty personal to me. And it amazes me how other folks still connect and feel those same emotions, even though they aren't as close to what I was writing about as I am. But the same holds true when I read the poetry of others I guess. I wish I was closer to Nebraska Soap, as I'd love to sit in the corner at your writers meeting and soak in how folks with talent and ability do it.

Thanks to you all for the prayers, the loving thoughts and all your kind words. She is still hurting but she knows folks love and care about her. That's all any of us need to start the healing process. Ya'll have huge hearts and are fine people. Proud to know ya, even if it's through a simple internet forum.

leanin' H said:
Soapweed said:

Soap, I'd be honored for you to read my poem. It's my small way of trying to help Lil' H see the bigger picture. When I write cowboy poetry, its usually pretty personal to me. And it amazes me how other folks still connect and feel those same emotions, even though they aren't as close to what I was writing about as I am. But the same holds true when I read the poetry of others I guess. I wish I was closer to Nebraska Soap, as I'd love to sit in the corner at your writers meeting and soak in how folks with talent and ability do it.

Thanks to you all for the prayers, the loving thoughts and all your kind words. She is still hurting but she knows folks love and care about her. That's all any of us need to start the healing process. Ya'll have huge hearts and are fine people. Proud to know ya, even if it's through a simple internet forum.

leanin' H, I am also very proud to know you and your family, through the miracle of cyberspace. A few of the ones who are coming to this get-together are very good writers and poets, and actually get paid to do what they do. The rest of us are more interested in just preserving cowboy history by writing down a few memories of our lives. Sure wish you lived closer so you could come and read your poem yourself. It is truly a heartfelt well-written masterpiece.

We feel compassion for your daughter. She and the horse have grown up together, and had a special bond. My cousin (JF Ranch) lost a nice mare named Sherry when he was about the age of your daughter. The horse pushed a barn door open and got into some poison oats (used for gopher elimination). I was the same age as JF, and felt just as badly as he did about the passing of Sherry. In agriculture we get to experience the cold hard facts of life and death. In the long run, it probably turns us into more compassionate but logical-thinking people.

Best to you and your family, and we will keep you in our prayers.

H, the poem is exactly right and I'm guessing many of us are bookmarking it, at the least in our minds, for comfort when a similar situation comes to our houses. I'm sure it will be greatly appreciated at the event at Soapweeds ranch.

Soapweed, I'd love to be able to hear all the talk at that event! Got in on some good poetry at the Western Event in Ft. Pierre last Saturday. There was a lady from NE, there who did a wonderful job delivering some of her poems. Unfortunately, I couldn't hear her name, and didn't see a program. All I know is she teaches high school, I believe, in the middle of NE. Others I recall from the day were Slim McNaught, New Underwood, SD, and 'our own' Jinglebob who had some good songs and stories, plus a visit with him, too. Do you know that he has a son living at Martin, SD now? I believe his name is Tyler, and he recently moved there as the new Catholic priest serving Martin and Kadoka, that I know of. I'm sure a pastor with a strong ranch background will be treasured by many of his 'flock'.

Re. loss of the wonderful little horse, I dread the day that can't be too far off when our 'top horse' now ridden by our three and a half year old great grand daughter passes on. He was ridden by our grandson as his roping horse quite a few years ago, and has quite a bit of age on him, but is in good health, but there is that VS disease around the country now, and just plain old age will win out all too soon anyway.

Have fun and get the most out of these fall celebrations before winter sets in!

btw, our friend with West Nile is improving, slowly tho it must feel to him. We are thankful for his progress. And more aware of how awful that illness is.

mrj

I'm am truly sorry for your families loss. This business we are in can be heartbreaking and so rewarding. I think the words spoken in this thread show that we all know how your daughter and family is feeling. It's tough. And I'm thinking of you all. Let those tears flow, it helps.

Latest posts