• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Heat synchronization

Help Support Ranchers.net:

alabama

Reaction score
Heat synchronization

I am synchronizing a group of cows in the rented pasture starting Thursday the 24th. The plan is to install CIDRS and give GnRH on day 0 then on day 7 pull CDIRS and give Lutalyse. On day 9 give GnRH and then breed in 16 hours.
Have any of you used this method? Did it work? Any comments?

By the way, I am breeding theses big cows (5 to 8 years old and 1600 pound) to SA Neutron 377.

The first calf heifers at home will be bred to Boyd's New Day the following week.

Big sells around here. Evertime some one comes out to buy a bull they always want either the biggest or the cheepest one I have. I want to make some wide, long, tall bulls.
I just got back from the stockyarde and the price is sure up. 500 pound heifers were both sides of $125. Thats good for stockyard calves in Montgomery.

Alabama said:
Big sells around here. Evertime some one comes out to buy a bull they always want either the biggest or the cheepest one I have. I want to make some wide, long, tall bulls.
I just got back from the stockyarde and the price is sure up. 500 pound heifers were both sides of $125. Thats good for stockyard calves in Montgomery.

Markets are definitely up-- I was just looking and see where feeder steers are selling $15.50 cwt. more than this date last year-- and utility cows are up $12.50......

weight = $$. just don't get 'em to where they're too big on the kill end...or, if you're selling feeders, i guess that's not your problem, eh?! BTW, those black-nosed chars rate right up there with stockin-legged holsteins (yes, it's true!) for grade if you sell to a packer on a grade/yield basis...

Thinh you all missed the point on sync. After the last shot of estrodial wait 30 hours and then start to breed and then give Factrel. Had 100% at some places. The protocol is different south of the 49th but we have great luck here with that breakdown. Done them each year and the timing has changed, the 30 to 34 hour timing is the best.

Canadian Angus

Buy the way expect bigger birth weights

Thanks for the input. Waiting 30 to 34 hours after GnRH may just work for me if I heat detect the last few days. I am setting this up for a timed AI but I will use some heat detection along with it.
How long after breeding, do you wait to turn in the clean up bull? Some have suggested two weeks. I use to wait a month but I would like to clean them up as soon a possible.
You said that I should expect bigger calves. Why? Is it the sires or is it due to the synchronizing protocol?

WEll Alabama.... I recently put my bull in with my daughters 4H show heifers.....they were all in heat....never crossed my mind that he would sull up and not do anything but walk the fence....so...might give bull a week or so adjustment time....just a thought

I hope this bull ain't so shy. He has been grauling every breth while walking in his pen for over a month.

the bull I'm referrin to is a hand raised big ole baby....we'd penned cows and pulled him out...gave heifers shots to make em come in....figgered in 36 hours he'd be fine....but have no idea if he bred anything or not...it's been 21 days and can't see any signs of estrus in these show heifers...so maybe he was sulled durin the day and did his werk at night. I'm getting concerned tho, show date is june 6 and heifers MUST be bred to show. I've takin and am certified to palpate..but not confident enuff in my ability yet to determine if they are bred at such an early stage. Thought about havin vet come out and do a ultra sound.

Latest posts