• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Heavy Duty Gooseneck Cattle Trailers?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

SummersRedAngus

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,
Trying to get input from the experts on a good solid built steel trailer. Kinda looking at SwiftBuilt or GR, with high sides and full roof. We're in Northeast MT so I need higher sides to cut wind and keep cattle warmer. Most trailers I have looked at are disappointing because I've had an Iron Steer for 23 years. They are absolute tanks, pretty close to the Blue Hills Trailers https://www.bluehillstrailers.com/v-nose/# in MB, Canada. I can't import one due to DOT certification. Here's the specs I'm looking for but open to input...

20 to 24 in length but would have to be 7.5 wide at 20 length
High sides full length roof
Rumber, rubber trended, etc Floor (currently floor is traction aluminium)
Most aerodynamic nose I can get
17.5 wheels on 8K axles or possible 17.5 wheels on 7K axles
Rear full swing with slider, center with slider

I don't need fancy and sure won't pay for fancy. Not interested in tinfoil trailers. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Maybe someone on here knows how to get in touch with Denny....he was building trailer GOOD ones by all accounts on here

Yep Denny built good ones.
I bet Soapweed has his number since he summered cattle there. I had a calendar a few years back.

Norbert is another good Canadian trailer but I don't know if they can be imported.

Hey Summers if you are where I think you are I can see Flaxville from where I am keeping my bulls for the fall.
I'm married to a girl from Outlook and live just across the border.

Thanks for the help. Haven't gotten in private messages to contact Denny but plan to.
Big Muddy - Yep, Flaxville isn't too far from Outlook. Who gets to winter your bulls for you?

And yes, Norbert was an option until they went out of business. Kinda surprised me.

I winter my own bulls, they are in a pasture on the border just east of where Carl Odegard used to live.
Funny we haven't met but we go to Plentywood most especially since the closed Big Beaver/ Whitetail port. Probably have bumped into each other somewhere..
I hadn't heard that about Norbert, I noticed there site didn't open last night and Kramer doesn't have any in stock.
The little flip latch the held the cross gate open was my idea that Norbert started using when he built my first one.
My wife was a Wirtz. Moved 4 miles house to house when she got married.

Not offering any help on 'trailer shopping, except there is -a good outfit west of Sturgis, just off I-90, and Blakes in Rapid City,too. Haven't bought one in a while, but sure got some severe 'bull damage' taken out of the tailgate at Blakes last summer. TJ (employee at Blakes, and son of my cousin, also noticed that floor under tailgate was in bad shape so we had that fixed, too. Good for lots more miles, if we could just get rid of the bulls with a better solution! There is just no stopping a bull that is whipped out by a bigger one! That tailgate looked nicely 'accordion folded' when they walked out of it. If we didn't have good stories about ranch problems, the repair pain would be even worse, imo! mrj

SummersRedAngus said:
And yes, Norbert was an option until they went out of business. Kinda surprised me.

That is surprising and disappointing for sure. I hadn't realized that. I have a Norbert stock trailer and a Norbert goose neck flatdeck, and really like how they are built.

Got in touch with Denny, S&S Duraline, Swift Built, and multiple Titan dealers regarding the rancher model. Waiting for specs to see what looks like the best bang for the longterm buck. Duraline is working with me on heavier specs than their average trailer. Keep the advice or good/bad experiences coming - both with dealers or brands. GR is probably out of the running right now.

We have had Titans. Gooseneck and flatbeds. They are good. We had a problem with paint on our gooseneck and Titan was good to work with. When I called in I got right to the owner. That's been awhile ago, so things may have changed, but it was good then and so were the trailers. I've seen photos of Denny's and they were really slick and I bet tough.

We've had good luck with Titans. I have two 16' x 6'8" bumper pull stock trailers, and a 24' x 6'8" gooseneck stock trailer. All are real good outfits. We also have a 30' triple axle flatbed Titan trailer that works very well.

I like my Titan. It is an 2002, 6'8" X 24' gooseneck stock with smooth sides. I haven't pulled any others, but this one pulls easy, and is stout. Easy on tires.

If you buy a Titan, get their upper end models. They are pretty good. Their cheap line rattles and the sides sway when you go through the pasture.
I have an old Trailmen. Pulls easy and has stood the test of time, but Titan bought them out in early 2000s.
I think Travalong makes a good trailer but I have never owned one.

We knew someone who had Travelong and they had a lot of problems with the gate latches. They may have fixed that by now, but sure something to check on.
The best, toughest trailer we have ever owne was a Swan. They stopped making them a long time ago, but what a trailer. Heavy though, because they were so tough.

Latest posts