• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Heck we can learn this here.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher

Reaction score
Grazing
Learn How To Become A Low-Cost Producer
Learn how to become an efficient low-cost cattle producer by attending the Jim Gerrish Hands-On Management-Intensive Grazing School. Set for Sept. 27-30 at North Star Land & Cattle in Winona, TX, the workshop will cover such topics as year-round grazing, contract grazing, fertility management, grazing-cell design, pasture finishing, balancing animal demand and forage supply, managing for a variable stocking rate, pasture improvement, fence and water development, marketing strategies, and much more.

The workshop faculty includes: Jim Gerrish, former lead pasture researcher at the University of Missouri's Forage Systems Research Center in Linneus; John Sattler and Doug Behm of North Star Land & Cattle; Gerald Evers, Texas A&M University-Overton professor of forage management; and fence builder and cowhand Ian Gerrish.

The program begins at 8:30 a.m., Sept. 27, and winds up at 3 p.m., Sept. 30. A bass fishing tournament is a special event planned for the evening of Sept. 28, so bring your fishing poles.

From Cow Calf weekly.

BMr......maybe the fishing is better in Texas than on the Big Muddy.....seem to remember you saying that trolling was getting difficult on the Muddy :wink: :twisted:

This is off topic, but about Texas. I called the family that had bought a horse from us last year to wish them well and to stay safe. She outlined the precautionary measures they were taking and that she was just on her way out with a big felt marking pen .... to write their phone number on all the horse's backs so they could be easily identified if they should stray or "whatever".
I hope the whole family can avoid the "whatever" - they are just North of Houston.
We're thinking of all the people that could be affected by this one.

I'm kinda off topic here right now, but I got a bur under my blanket so to speak,

This guy works for the "University". Right now I have a huge prejudice against any government guy handling my assets.

Well, I had those calves in the Steer Futurity put on by the extension service. Last of the cattle were shipped in June and I still have not seen a check. I called in July, Hey, they are gone, we'll get on it. August, receptionist says, "well, Randt will be gone next week, so hopefully he'll do it before he leaves." I point out that if it were HIS PAYCHECK, I bet things would be different. Still no check.

Middle August, "Hey, I'm really busy with the Fair, will be working on it as soon as I can."

Call this week, Randy will be out next week, but he hopes to have this done before.

Guess what, I feed cattle, I know I should have seen the money long ago. But, it is not his check, so he doesn't seem to be motivated. It really shed more light on how a government employee views the assets of another person.

ok, off my soapbox,

PPRM

PPRM- I think I would be finding and contacting Randy's supervisor- everybody in government has a dozen of those :lol: -- But he may have just found a way to personally "use" your money for awhile....
Either way it sounds like he needs a shakeup.....

This futurity has been going on for a number of years. I don't think it is anything other than not a priority. They have a jackpot on it and he has to figure that out, but still, I would never have him manage my assets again based on this. I also have a hard time listening to anything these guys have to say about managing my assets now,

I also was deciding not to do this anyway. They have about 3-4 loads of mxed owner calves in this deal. I wanted to see how mine stacked up. The gain for th first part was incredible (haven't sen numbers since). Well, i found out two of the steers went with the first load and graded select 1. I sort brothers to these and get 80-85% choice (trailer looads vs semi loads).

I got to thinking and this is why I am at the lot I am at. OSU had some good Angus steers that were growing and fattening fast. The YG 4 discount was huge at the time, so they didn't want to let them get too fat. Mine were big enough to make the load. I saw this happen enough when I worked in a lot. Fill the truck, doesn't matter if the last ones are green, custom cattle, so we get paid the same and cut our cost per head filling the trailer.

So, maybe mine just weren't that good, but I think it is a matter if how it goes. Take them when they are ready works for me, so I'll keep them where I have been,

PPRM

Latest posts