• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Heifer bulls I bought last Saturday

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
#5119, 69 lb BW 610 lb WW BD May 21 2010
P1280699.jpg

#5181, 59 lb BW 602 lb WW BD May 30 2010
They share the same sire.
P1280697.jpg

Faster horses said:
Pretty dang nice, IMO. I bet they work really well for you!

:agree:
they look like sure shot, make every basketball game heifer bulls. :) (borrowed that line from Joe Goggins :wink: )

Justin said:
Faster horses said:
Pretty dang nice, IMO. I bet they work really well for you!

:agree:
they look like sure shot, make every basketball game heifer bulls. :) (borrowed that line from Joe Goggins :wink: )

If you ever want to see 100 head of bulls sell in an hour and half- have Joe selling them on a day one of his kids is in a basketball tournament.. :wink:

Yep- bulls look good gcreekrch...

John Blacklock sell's at Mac's sale at the rate of one bull every 50 seconds. You want to do your homework and budgeting well in advance and have your wits about you when the sale starts. :wink:

The higher end bulls were starting at $4000 and selling in 5 or 6 bids.

They look pretty fancy, and I really like their low birth weights :D . Since I calve earlier, I could use them on these heifers first, then send them back, legged up and ready to go to work for you :wink: .

WyomingRancher said:
They look pretty fancy, and I really like their low birth weights :D . Since I calve earlier, I could use them on these heifers first, then send them back, legged up and ready to go to work for you :wink: .

You do the freight, vet papers and donate a reasonable dividend and you've got a deal! There is one more at Llloydminster that I didn't get photographed and one here if you need 4.

A neat story on the one that I bought last year after the sale. He had been born on pasture before the fall calving heifers were gathered. Mac saw that his mother had calved but couldn't find the baby so turned her back out. It was 2 months before he got back to gather the pair up and take them home. The heifer was accompanied by a very wild bull calf who was minus a tail, likely from a hungry coyote.
Late the following summer, a customer needed a loaner bull to take the place of a lame one for the balance of his breeding season. "Coyote" was taken out of his herdmates mainly because of his size and maturity and passed a semen test at 11 months old.
It was later than planned before he was returned and he wasn't in sale condition by January so was placed in a pen of bulls that were available by private treaty. We bought a load of pairs last spring and needed 2 more bulls so Coyote became ours for $2700. He didn't have a recorded BW but his lineage denoted him as a heifer breeding prospect. We used him on cows last year.
The punchline to the story was his full brother was in this year's sale with a 71 lb BW and over 700 WW. I believe he was the high selling Black Angus at $7800.
A maternal brother to another bull we bought at last year's sale for $3500 was popular this year. Mac announced that he was my favourite bull in the sale (which he was) and he sold to a Hutterite Colony for $6400. The bull we own is the thicker of the pair.

Gcreek, did many bulls sell to BC?
Your two look like real nice bulls. I would like to see them when they have their "working clothes" on. :D

jillaroo said:
Gcreek, did many bulls sell to BC?
Your two look like real nice bulls. I would like to see them when they have their "working clothes" on. :D

Close to 40. Acclimation from the prairies to here is tough on them the first winter. Most will last 5 to 7 years, we had one bull that was 10 when we canned him.

Latest posts