• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Heifer

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Red Robin

Reaction score
Here's a pic of a heifer I offered a kid to show. He didn't think she's clubby enough to show in an AOB class. She's a half blood. He's probably right but I think she's a pretty decent calf. She's a feb. half blood out of 3m (RA) and a mostly saler dam. I slicked her face off and ran clippers down her neck and top and tail . She was never washed . I did it in a squeeze chute. I just tried to make her decent for him to look at in pics. She needs to be a frame score smaller, bigger boned, and have a freakier front to win in a big clubby show but I personally think alot of judges would use her where they could for looking broody.

100_9569.jpg

Amazing heifer. I think I bought the raffle ticket that gives me possision of her...right??????? :D :p

She has cow written all over her. But if the young feller wanted a "club calf" then I'm afraid RR is right. She is too fine boned and has too much leather. She would sure get a couple looks from any judge though.

BUT, in a breeding show she should be hands down a winner.
You lucked out RR, you get to keep a dandy of a heifer. Any thoughts on what you are gonna breed her to? I have a hereford here that would add some bone and a touch of some lower quarter. :lol:

That's a very nice show prospect. But those club people like those heifers to have shoulders like the bulls. She's pretty, I like her.

Broody is right, RR. She's got momma cow written all over her. I like the heifer a lot.

really a nice looking heifer RR. I'm sure a lot of people would be pretty happy to have a heifer that nice to show. His loss is your gain.

That is an excellent heifer, she has the depth and feminity of a good angus with the hair and length of a saler. If you guys think that good heifer is anywhere close to that shorthorn i picked apart then we'll never agree.

L.E. Stevens, I think what Red Robin meant was that her front end could be a touch cleaner and longer. I would help her to have the wedge look from the front end to the rear.

Angus Breeder said:
L.E. Stevens, I think what Red Robin meant was that her front end could be a touch cleaner and longer. I would help her to have the wedge look from the front end to the rear.

Yeah, kinda hard to say given she is looking with her head turned....

Kinda funny, we all get an eye for proportianality over time. I had a Bull Breeder show me maybe the longest bull I had ever seen. I passed on him, a lot of it was due to him not being proportionate..That Screamed Cattle that wouldn't hold up...Instead, i chose one outta a 13 year old cow...He was still in the top 5% of the herd for all production traits on a ranch that didn't baby calves. That Screamed to me that he would hold up..

I also wonder about these showring deals sometimes. I wonder if there is any proof a heavy brisket cow outproduces cleaner, more feminine ones. Personally, a heavy round means more to me......My selection goes back to taking cattle clear to the Plate in my business....I llok for things that tranxlate into Quality and Yiled Grade, as well as dress percentage and Carcass Wt.......I can't tell you how many times i hav looked a t a lineup of show sters and thot, "None of these will grade better than select"....I even had a freind bemoaning his son's Grand Champion Steer placed so low in the Carcass contest....He felt that showed the guys grading the carcass obviously had no clue. Ummmmmm...I had to bite my lip, LOL

PPRM

That's a good looking heifer, RR. Find another one in a couple of years (maybe her calf) & we'll run it for you. :lol:

I used to pout up a carcass tyrophy for the district 4h show maybe 40-50 steers a year when we used to be able to get carcass data back. Only once did the grnd champion steer win the carcass deal too. He was a simm/Angus smokie. The funniest deal was the one judge going on about the breed character this other steer had as he put him first. That steer had the least marbling and the smallest ribeye-kind of like an overweight rabbit lol.

Great heifer Red Robin. I sure wouldn't guess she is 1/2 saler, that sure does make a nice cross!!! Good job.

Nice heifer Red Robin. We've had good luck using Salers in crosses. I think a kid could do a whole lot worse than this heifer for a show.

I agree that she won't do well in club, but why not show her as commercial? do yall even have commercial classes as well as AOB. I'll show her, even if she is the wrong color.

Latest posts