• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hello all from Venezuela!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hanta Yo said:
Welcome aboard, Whitewing :D :wave: Very interesting reading these 4 pages :D Looks like clearing can be quite a job :shock: What do you do to clear the brush and trees? I'm thinking in Brazil the govt only allows some clearing, no problem where you live?

Most people here are friendly, and I'm glad you decided to join up :nod: :tiphat:

For clearing, I use this beast:

100_0949sm.jpg

Officially, to clear requires permission from the Department of the Environment which is managed by the National Guard and which can take a while to obtain. Fortunately, I've got excellent National Guard connections. :D

The fellow with the hard hat is the engineer on my place. His name is Socrates, no kidding. :lol:

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
Your Mestizos to me look more bramer than they do coriente. Smaller than bramer, but that's what they look like to me.

And you would be correct that there is Brahman blood in the mestizos, though more in some than others. Venezuelan mestizos are much like Venezuelans themselves, of very mixed blood.

I think the Copithorne's from Calgary bought a big ranch in Uraguay a few years back-it is similar down there. I wondered about the penning cattle at night but I guess theft is as good a reason as any.the potential there is unlimited for sure. For a plane ticket I'll teach you how to A'I and tell you cowboy stories lol.

Northern Rancher said:
I think the Copithorne's from Calgary bought a big ranch in Uraguay a few years back-it is similar down there. I wondered about the penning cattle at night but I guess theft is as good a reason as any.the potential there is unlimited for sure. For a plane ticket I'll teach you how to A'I and tell you cowboy stories lol.

I've got a Cuban vet who visits the place bi-weekly to check on my animals. He's also a decent A'I guy from what I understand. Having said that, I'm betting the price of a plane ticket would be peanuts compared to what I could learn from you about cattle. :wink:

PureCountry said:
220 head on 930 acres? Can you say PRODUCTION???!!!??? That's 4.3 acres per animal. Or by 220 head, are you counting cows, calves, bulls and the like?

Perhaps my cattle-speak isn't up to snuff. :oops: I'm really relatively new at the game.

The 220 represents all my animals......cows, calves, bulls and everything in between.

Whitewing said:
Hanta Yo said:
Welcome aboard, Whitewing :D :wave: Very interesting reading these 4 pages :D Looks like clearing can be quite a job :shock: What do you do to clear the brush and trees? I'm thinking in Brazil the govt only allows some clearing, no problem where you live?

Most people here are friendly, and I'm glad you decided to join up :nod: :tiphat:

For clearing, I use this beast:

100_0949sm.jpg

Officially, to clear requires permission from the Department of the Environment which is managed by the National Guard and which can take a while to obtain. Fortunately, I've got excellent National Guard connections. :D

The fellow with the hard hat is the engineer on my place. His name is Socrates, no kidding. :lol:

HOLY COW :shock: :shock: That beastie sure could do the job :shock:
It's always nice to have connections...and I think Socrates fits just right :nod:

OldDog/NewTricks said:
Welcome to Ranchers.net
Questions
Can you get satellite Net-working there?
We'll miss you when your Off Line.

How Stable is the Government There?

Great Photo's

Satellite net-working? If you mean satellite reception for the internet, yup, I can buy a 'card' for my computer receive coverage there. I just haven't gotten around to doing it. :oops: :?

How stable is the Government? I've long said that dictators are good for business. :D

When time permits I'll post more photos of some of the assorted projects I've got underway these days.

Welcome Whitewing from another foriegner!! nice pictures, good looking country I can't agree with your comment about dictators as I am from Zimbabwe and Mugabe didn't do us any favours over there, I still legally own a ranch there, but the whole property was asset stripped.

andybob said:
Welcome Whitewing from another foriegner!! nice pictures, good looking country I can't agree with your comment about dictators as I am from Zimbabwe and Mugabe didn't do us any favours over there, I still legally own a ranch there, but the whole property was asset stripped.

Yikes andybob, Zimbabwe. Your situation was about the worst of the worst that could have happened to ranch owners.

Fortunately here in Venezuela the Chavez government is actually making a big push for domestic food production (the country imports way too much of its food needs) and is rewarding those who make the effort with guaranteed grain prices, low-interest loans, and other government help.

I'm actually very excited about the future here for ranching and continue to make improvements in my place.

As we are basically stateless at the moment, I might just consider joining you there, Too darned cold and wet here in the UK, just sorry Smithfields dropped the ball sponsoring my green card.
How are you doing your pigs there? I run 1000 outdoors, behind electric fences. Here is where I manage at the moment;
http://www.laverstokepark.co.uk/
The 'explore the farm' link at the top of the page gives a quick tour of the enterprises.

andybob said:
As we are basically stateless at the moment, I might just consider joining you there, Too darned cold and wet here in the UK, just sorry Smithfields dropped the ball sponsoring my green card.
How are you doing your pigs there? I run 1000 outdoors, behind electric fences. Here is where I manage at the moment;
http://www.laverstokepark.co.uk/
The 'explore the farm' link at the top of the page gives a quick tour of the enterprises.

Still waiting for your website link to open. I'll review it when it does.

Interesting that you ask about my hogs. I've got only about 100 right now but that's because I've been limited in space, keeping them in a traditionally-constructed hog pen with concrete walls, floors, etc. This particular structure I inherited when I bought a neighbor's ranch which adjoiined mine a bit over a year ago. I find housing hogs like this to be labor-intensive and costly.....moving assorted foods to the animals or buying commerical feed.

Within a week or so I'll be finished fencing in a 17 hectar (40+ acres) of what I consider marginal land on my place. I consider it marginal because it's hilly, wooded, and generally tough to work with a tractor. I have managed though, within this area, to plant about 2 hectars of corn and a hectar and a half in sorghum which the hogs will be free to work. This parcel also has direct access to one of the ponds I've constructed on the place.

I'm not yet sure how many hogs I can run on these 40 acres, but I'm sure it's going to be substantially more than the 100 or so I'll soon release. This coming week I'll take some photos of the area and the fencing we're installing and post them upon my return to the city.

Pure even some of us Saskabushers are doing that-must be our lack of knowledge and skill too dumb to know we can't.There's is lots of potential there for sure-can you run goats in your bush whitewing. I'd run sheep with our cows if I was fenced a bit better most of our new fences are being a bit overdesigned for that eventuality. a Brasford bull on those white cows would work pretty darn nice I'd think.

Faster horses said:
Whitewing, who is the lovely gal in the first few pictures you posted?

Her name is Kika and she's a friend of mine who now lives on the island of Margarita. Haven't seen her in quite some time. I think that was her first visit to the ranch and as you can see she was eyeing carefully that heifer.

BTW, that heifer is actually a cross between one of my Charolais cows and the neighbor's mestizo bull. :? Not sure what my bull was doing that day. :x

Northern Rancher said:
Pure even some of us Saskabushers are doing that-must be our lack of knowledge and skill too dumb to know we can't.There's is lots of potential there for sure-can you run goats in your bush whitewing. I'd run sheep with our cows if I was fenced a bit better most of our new fences are being a bit overdesigned for that eventuality. a Brasford bull on those white cows would work pretty darn nice I'd think.

NR, I've had several visitors suggest I run both sheep and goats on my place but haven't done so yet. My neighbor was running sheep for a while but I don't think he still is.

The northern boundry of my place slopes up into the mountain in the background of that first photo and I'm sure it would make an excellent area for goats as it's not really suitable for pasturing cattle.

Latest posts