• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hello from Washington

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TheRanchMan

Reaction score
I am new to ranching. Name's Ryan. Thinking about starting up cattling.
Got 160 acres in Washington. Lot of trees on the land right now, thinking about cutting a lot of trees.
I have lived on meager sums in my 20's, but Now it's time to get a hold on things now.

I have wanted to be a rancher since I was a kid. And just started thinking about it very seriously lately.
So here I am with the plan to cattle. Thanks for the support on Ranchers.net.

Yes, what part of WA? I was born and raised in that state. Lived there for a lot of years. Worked in and have friends in a lot of areas of that state.

Got 160 acres in Washington. Lot of trees on the land right now, thinking about cutting a lot of trees.
I have lived on meager sums in my 20's, but Now it's time to get a hold on things now.

I have wanted to be a rancher since I was a kid. And just started thinking about it very seriously lately.
Hey there welcome! I'm doing something similar myself. I have 50 acres of usable land that i want to convert to pastures. Its all clear-cut pine, the stumps are almost all rotted away for the most part. Boy it's allot of work. I have a farm tractor but it's hard on the equipment. I sure wish I had a decent size mini excavator to get the rest cleared up. You got trees etc. that need to be tore down. I hope you have a mid-sized excavator or something to clear all those trees. Love to hear how you're going to convert to pastures as well as we are on a similar journey.

West of the coast range, or are you on the east side? Huge difference in livestock production and forage resources. I've spent roughly 6 years between the east and west sides in that area. Corvallis, LaGrande, and Omak/Okanogan to be exact.

If you are on the west side, you can possibly make a business out of ranching. If you are on the west side, you can raise a few beef for yourself and friends on 160 acres.

Check @Loyd's thread that he started: "Need advice on starting in cattle." My thoughts expressed there were for NC and pretty much anywhere east of the Mississippi, but I can do something similar for the Washington/Oregon/Idaho area. Gotta know east or west side though.

Would you guys please put where you live in your profile so we might know if what you are talking about pertains to us and if not, it would help the people who live in your area.

Thanks!!!
I have been trying to remember how I am supposed to do that for 2 days now. I will as soon as I figure it out. Tou are right, it's pretty much a necessity.

Got 5 treeless pastures (ponderosa pine) If we graze around the pines in winter 2 and 3 trimesters gestation. We will lose calve with Pine needle abortion. Some outfits say they get around it , caking with a really high protein cale. We found it easier just have some pastures with no pine trees for winter.

Last edited:
Got 5 treeless pastures (ponderosa pine) If we graze around the pines in winter 2 and 3 trimesters gestation. We will lose calve with Pine needle abortion. Some outfits say they get around it , caking with a really high protein cale. We found it easier just have some pastures with no pine trees for winter.
That's a good plan. I know mineral companies that have looked into what causes the pine needle abortions, but they never have come up with an answer, or at the last I knew.

Latest posts