• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Helloooo

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Haytrucker

Reaction score
Our winter has turned mild, cow's on stalks are faring well. Spose the ol gal is saving it for calving time? Everybody else has weather, we used to sneak thru here. Looks like January's gonna treat us alright.

After a series of hard frosts earlier than normal, winter has been pretty dry and mild here. We just really haven't seen the kind of cold temps that we normally get. We even have some trees trying to bud, with a lot of winter weeds and winter grasses coming on. In fact, I've been trying to get the boss lady to get her mower out to mow the henbit and ryegrass in the yard for the last two weeks, but she just scowls at me. (Now that I think about it, she pretty much just scowls at me even when I'm not suggesting for her to mow.)

Pretty mild here now, a week ago was bitter cold with wind chills of -40 plus.
Not much snow, have cows in the hills north by the lake and bred heifer grazing a little closer to home. Been taking some bales to heifers hoping to get them to follow me to winter feed ground, they are eating the bales I take out but not following very good as it is so mild.

Mild here too. We've had a few scattered showers, a mix of rain and snow, off and on, but not enough to stack up much. Been in the 40's (F) and supposed to hit the big 50 this weekend. If every January was like this i'd calve now. March will probably be a first class bear to rub salt in the wound when we calve. Almost done lambing. And in another first on our place, My son kept a gilt from his stock showing. We AI'd her and she has a litter of fine looking pigs. Never raised pigs from birth before. It ought'a be an adventure.

Side note- I'm getting old. My daughter is a senior in HS and my son is an eighth grader. How in the heck did that happen? Little H has a scholarship for college this fall. Wants to become an animal nutritionist. Excited for her. Life goes pretty fast folks. Don't blink

leanin' H said:
Mild here too. We've had a few scattered showers, a mix of rain and snow, off and on, but not enough to stack up much. Been in the 40's (F) and supposed to hit the big 50 this weekend. If every January was like this i'd calve now. March will probably be a first class bear to rub salt in the wound when we calve. Almost done lambing. And in another first on our place, My son kept a gilt from his stock showing. We AI'd her and she has a litter of fine looking pigs. Never raised pigs from birth before. It ought'a be an adventure.

Side note- I'm getting old. My daughter is a senior in HS and my son is an eighth grader. How in the heck did that happen? Little H has a scholarship for college this fall. Wants to become an animal nutritionist. Excited for her. Life goes pretty fast folks. Don't blink

Mild here too. I can't remember a January like this one.
Leanin' H--glad to hear your kids are fine and of your daughters college decision to pursue animal nutrition. That will open so many doors for her. It is becoming increasingly important to everyone with livestock of any kind. It's so much fun to help producers, speaking from my own experience. Of course, I don't have a degree, but with a degree and truly caring what she can do to help, the sky will be the limit!

leanin' H said:

Raising hogs :shock:

What's Fred going to say. :wink: :cowboy: :lol2:

There were about 300 sows on the home place when I started high school. You can guess at my cologne. Enough scooping to go around. I still like pork. H, good on your kids. We raised our own feed for the sows and the cows. Polly why ya only had 1 litter.
Thanks to everyone for the replies. I sure hope the weather holds for calving.
Won't be doing much of it this year, remodeling the wife's late parent's house and maybe catching up on mechanic work.

Update on Little H- She was the Sterling Scholar for Agriculture Science at her high school. Its a program where kids compete against each other to be named a school's sterling scholar. Then kids from a bunch of high schools all compete against each other to become the state sterling scholar for a part of the state. She submitted a portfolio with all her accomplishments, her agriculture projects, work and life experiences, service, ect. That was judged by team of industry people in each category. Then she had a face to face interview with the same group of judges. When the dust settled she was 1st runner up in Ag Science. Beat out kids from much larger high schools and won a handy $1000 check to the college of her choice. Sure glad she takes after her momma in the looks and smarts department.

Most of the time the kids accomplishments are a reflection of their upbringing - - - congratulations to all!

George said:
Most of the time the kids accomplishments are a reflection of their upbringing - - - congratulations to all!
That's a great observation. Of course there are exceptions. My kids seem almost average and I was half of their upbringing. I guess they out kicked their coverage.

Latest posts