• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Help!!! Can't get our JD 8630 out of gear...

Help Support Ranchers.net:

katrina said:
Has anyone ever have this kind of trouble... It's stuck in A-1....

Probably in the linkage and/or cables. Take the shroud/cover off beneath the gearshift levers and you might see the problem.

They need a good greasin periodically anyway. Now would be a good time.

We checked that Mike. It's in the gears. The one gear will not slide enough over. It lacks 1/4 of an inch going all the way over. It's like not being totally in gear. And you can't get it out of gear. The lever will go in reverse, but you let up on the clutch and it will kill the engine.. I think it is pretty serious. Man my knee is killing me :mad:

Katrina, have you tried putting it back in the gear it was in before you started having problems? Normally that works for us. Put it back in the gear it was in, let the clutch out then bump into neutral from there. Good luck. Otherwise...enjoy splitting that beast twice. :? :cry:

katrina said:
Thanks Muratic for the advice. Will try that....I'm afraid will get to do the ugly deed..

Good Luck, If I was closer I'd help with the greese monkey part.

I've had that with ours also, You might have to get a little rough with the levers to get it out. Good luck, the last thing a person needs is a big repair bill.

I think any of them with quad-range can act up like that. Tap lightly or pry at the end of the linkages hooked to levers on the transmission case. It's not stuck in Park, is it, where A and P are so close together, like it's in a bind?

We took the cover off of the tranmission and there is a metal hook like a chickens beak that goes over the gears. It slides on a metal shaft. This hook needs to go foreward towards the tractor 1/4 of an inch.
The shifter is in A and kinda park. The other shifter that runs the other transmission is fine and will shift from 1 to 2 and so on. We called one guy and he said that it was froze on the shaft. but all the gears turn. Roscoe thinks that there is a collar broke. Anway we will have Grossenburgs come and get it and we put the dozer blade on our 8440. I offically retired yesterday. My knee will not take all that braking. It's swollen and painful today. Oh yeah never let your wife run a tractor you don't own...
What in the sandhills was I thinking. :roll:

We have had several JD tractors over the years ( currently have 5 ) and this can be a problem if you park on a hill. It is addressed in the manual to place the tractor in a gear that will move up hill ( this can happen on flat ground if a whell is going in a hole putting pressure on the gears) and slowly let out the clutch - - you should feel a release in the shift lever and then things should be fine. We get one stuck every couple of years and either I have to go to the tractor or my son - - - after you get the hang of it it becomes easy to fix. I hope it is not more serious. Now that we have traded off both 4230s and the 4630 the only ones that seem to stick are the 4010 and 4020 - - - I believe they cured the problem on the 40 series and up.

Katrina,reading these posts so this is probably to late but ,if you can get it moving ,pulled by chain with another tractor what ever,has worked for me in the past,depressing clutch and trying to work gears as tractor is moving,George is right on with his post,I still have an old 4020,that gets parked on a hill...............good luck

cuss alot, threaten to sell the tractor....then when it releases, tell it how much you love it, get it washed and waxed....treat her like a queen.

that always works on my 8640. tried it on the wife ONCE. not a good outcome.

Katrina, sorry to hear of your misfortune with the tractor. ARe you lucky enough to have a pit? I (balingwires' wife) never like to be the cause of the "break down". However today it was my tractor, but not my fault. Oil blowing all over the silage pile. The truck driver was yelling at me "STOP - oil is all over", ....... .......hell I was just trying to get off the pile so not to ruin any more feed than necessary. da Just 37 loads today, this is my first year "packing" and I sure wish I could have a pit for a anniversary present. Why do our knees give out? Well maybe we can make Deadwood next year............I think next year I will have something to say about silage over the holiday.

Baling wire.
No pit, Just four medium squares and post so they don't slide. I'm scared of hieghts so don't evan know why I do this. Anyway I'm done I can't do it no more. We are going again this afternoon and should be done by tomorrow.With ours anyway. I know of no other woman in our area the packs silage, so guess it's just a man's thing.... :wink: Come to think of it that is a scary thought.....Women silage packers :wink: :wink: :wink: Now that would be a funny ace reid cartoon. Flo packing silage with their beat up pickup with the stockrack... Jake smokin his cigerette. :D :D

From the all smiles posting can I assume you got it out of gear??? I have the ideal packer if any one needs it. I have a Hough 120B loader with new tires (29.5 X 29)and 5 yard bucket. I am selling it as it is the only loader we have that has the cab attached to the front ( my cats, JD and Fiatt allis all are attached to the rear) If any one is interested we put 4 tires on it a couple of years ago ( still like new ) at a cost of $3,000 @ I will take $10,000 for the unit 290hp Cummins, cab , heat runs great

Thanks for all the advice everyone:
ON those series of tractors you CAN NOT LET IT ROLL AND RIDE THE CLUTCH. It doesn't get any lubrication on the transmission. My husband said he has done it and so had the others. It could of happened to anyone of use that pack. ON our 8440 it has a buzzer that goes off when you ride or use the clutch, which is really nice because I'm a clutch rider. Especially packing silage...
No George we didn't get it out of gear.. Just basically I have kicked my a** for the last two days thinking I was at fault... Being a woman and working in a mans world is very hard. Especially and old woman...

Latest posts