• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Help for foot rot?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Border rancher

Reaction score
We have a young cow (feeding a big calf) that has foot rot in one back and one front foot. We gave her a large dose of oxy tet to start with, with no improvement. A couple weeks later we gave her a large dose of LA penicillin and 8 large sulfa pills. Still not much difference. I guess the next step must be the foot soaks with the formalin or copper sulphate solution, but that is a lot of work as I know from past experience. Does anyone know of anything else that might help?

WELL, #1~are you sure it is hoof rot?

Did you take her temperature?
Was the foot (feet) swollen at the coronary band?
Did it, does it stink real bad?

You may not be dealing with hoofrot; you may be dealing with a bad-footed cow. Is there cracks in her toes?

We had a customer call us last winter that was "getting a lot of hoof rot." So we checked it out. Every cow had cracks in their feet. We took temperatures; no temperature on any cow.

What had happened was, the rancher was feeding cake in big pastures. We had a severe cold spell. The cattle were travelling quite a ways to water and quite a ways to the cake on badly frozen ground. That set up the scenerio for sore-footed cows to show up. And the ones that showed up all had long toes or cracks in their toes.

What I found interesting was that this rancher had called two or three vets and they all said to treat with LA-200 and sulfa boluses. The ones they treated did not get better. Not one vet went out to look at what was going on. But they sure took his money for the medication.

And we wonder why we have a problem with antibiotics in this country?

P.S. I went back and read your original post.

I really don't think LA Penecillin is the drug of choice for hoof rot. Needs to be something stronger. If you are sure it is hoof rot, treat it with LA-200 and, gosh, I hate to give her all those boluses again. Sulfa is so hard on the kidneys when given in massive doses. You might check with a vet about redosing with sulfa boluses. The standard treatment here for hoofrot is LA-200 and sulfa boluses given at the same time.

If you are not sure it is hoofrot, get the cow in where she doesn't have to travel so much. I would really recommend trimming her feet (if she has long toes) and keeping her up for a few days; more than likely she will improve from not having to travel.

You also could be looking at an abcess. If it is an abcess, you need to dig around in the bottom of her feet. You might find a soft spot and you can make a place to let the abcess drain.

I really doubt that it is an abcess or hoofrot since it is in two feet.

No, we didn't have our vet look at the cow. I did a net search for footrot and all symtoms and pictures I saw there fit exactly. It also was the usual footrot circumstance for our area, real dry weather for a long time followed by 8 inches of rain over a few weeks. (The latter is not the usual but was very welcome)
We don't usually use much antibiotic, but I felt so sorry for the cow! If she recovers she will raise more calves and if not, she will be on the BSE test list so shouldn't get any antibiotic in anybody's dinner!
I guess I should try to bring the animal in to the chute and try to soak the worst foot anyway. We did that to a bull a few years ago and after the first few times he limped aroug sticking his foot in any pail or trough he could find. The bulls foot did clear up, I assume from the soaking.

Border Rancher:

If you can get your cow up use plain old peroxide to " boil" out that are between her toes. It might help.

I've had 2 cows in the past with horrible, HORRIBLE feet problems and we eventually had to do away with the cow BUT by doses of LA-200 and keeping her up close in and keeping her feet cleaned out... each cow lasted till the calf was weaned.

But, if it's in both feet it might not be footrot as it usually just effect one foot per flare-up. Good luck and be careful cause even with a sore foot they can kick the snot outta you!

Border rancher said:
We have a young cow (feeding a big calf) that has foot rot in one back and one front foot. We gave her a large dose of oxy tet to start with, with no improvement. A couple weeks later we gave her a large dose of LA penicillin and 8 large sulfa pills. Still not much difference. I guess the next step must be the foot soaks with the formalin or copper sulphate solution, but that is a lot of work as I know from past experience. Does anyone know of anything else that might help?

Last April we had a cow that got very lame and didn't respond to LA 200. I got her in and examined the foot (with an exam glove on). Believe it or not, the o-ring from a 2" transfer pump hose had gotten over the right side of her foot and worked it's way into the flesh about 2". There was no way to see it, you had to feel for it. I cut the o-ring and pulled it out, and the foot (which was pretty infected and smelly) got completely o.k. Hope this might help, I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't seen it, but maybe your cow has a piece of fine wire or something that's got around a toe.

I hate treating bulls with hoofrot and a vet told me the best was 10 cc of Micotil. If the one shot didn't get it, it wasn't going to get healed up! Don't know if this helps or not.

I also had a very similar experience as Cal. Might be worth getting her in or tied down and checking the feet.

A couple years ago we were having a problem with sore feet in some pairs. the guy who owned them suggested i put Lime around all of the water tanks. sure seemed to get things shut down, as far as sore feet.

Whenever we doctor a yearling with a sore foot, we always run them a ways before we rope them, so as to get the foot broke open and draining. Seems to do as much good as the vaccine! Sure makes them easier to deal with after they are caught too! :lol:

Our vet has told us to give penicillin shots daily for 10 days on the stubborn cases. Not much fun but it has worked. Hope she gets better!

Faster Horses, I would like to echo your thoughts. I thought you were right on. Tylan 200 can be a good remedy also, if you can still buy it.

I have doctored yearlings that could hardly get around, and the next day you could hardly tell they had it. That was using LA 200.

the real jake said:
Faster Horses, I would like to echo your thoughts. I thought you were right on. Tylan 200 can be a good remedy also, if you can still buy it.

I have doctored yearlings that could hardly get around, and the next day you could hardly tell they had it. That was using LA 200.

Catch them early and not real bad and it is amazing how fast they can get better. It take alot longer when it gets chronic.

I like Low pain oxy tet given 3 days in a row cheap and seems to work as it keeps blood levels higher. Not so handy if haveing to rope tho.

Before we got on a good mineral program :wink:
we had chronic hoof rot and we had to take toes off some of the cows.
And some cows, the infection got into the joint~hock, etc. That is nasty. They are done for then.

Just don't have much trouble any more tho!!
Another PLUS for a good mineral program. :wink:

Last year in the feedlot we had a steer that got a single strand off of a 3/8s cable around his foot. And somehow it got tangled and acted like a snare. It had cut in to the flesh right above the hoof to the point where you couldn't even see it. If it had been there much longer i think that calf may have lost a foot. Most likely not what happened to your cow, but i thought i would share.

I agree with BMR. We treat over 3 days with full dose, low-pain oxytetracycline. We currently have our old bull recovering from a bad case of foot rot in his left back leg. His son, is now having problems with cracks in his hooves, and has slowed him down considerably.

We should start a thread with all the things that we have found on cattle and horses feet.
Once we picked up a yearling that was limping and it had a broken quart sealer jar around it's foot and another time a bull had half hitched a peice of fine eletic fence wire around it's leg. Could not figure out what was cause this until felt in the cut and had to dig in with a pair of side cutter to cut the wire.
We had a horse the that had some thing shiny on the sole of its foot, turned out to be a ledger plat off a mower guard wit the rivet still in it and stuck in the foot.

Aaron said:
I agree with BMR. We treat over 3 days with full dose, low-pain oxytetracycline. We currently have our old bull recovering from a bad case of foot rot in his left back leg. His son, is now having problems with cracks in his hooves, and has slowed him down considerably.

We try to catch footrot early enough to take a short piece of clean braided rope, put it between the toes and draw it back and forth to clean it out thoroughly with a good flush of water. Then squirt Coppertox liberally up between the toes.

Haven't given a shot of anti-biotics for foot rot in 3-4 years.

Here's our favourite secret remedy.

First make sure it's not an abscess or crack problem though. :!: We use this on chronic footrot, and it also works on joints that get swollen from haemophilus. Everyone says you can't cure swollen joints, but we've never had it fail. It's more of a horse style remedy than cow style, but it works. We've been doing this for fifteen years now.

Soak the foot for about a half an hour in warm water with some hibitaine or other such antibacterial soap. They really like this, and you'd be amazed at how they will just stand there. Then mix about a third of a tube of Domoso gel with 50 cc of Liqua LA. (Any kind of Oxy will work, but it needs to be water based) Take a roll of 4 inch gauze, and roll out enough soak up the mixture. Then wrap it around the leg, using up all the gauze. Cover it with vetrap. Give him a big shot of some long acting antibiotic. We use Nuflor if the LA has failed in the past. Then let him go.

If you put the bandage on properly, it will stay on a very long time. Wear gloves. :!: Otherwise you will taste the domoso! This stuff is a powerful anti-inflammatory, but also has the ability to carry the LA right into the tissues. It takes a few days, but you should see an improvement. The secret to a good bandage is to wrap it so that if you are looking down from above, the bandage goes clockwise on the right legs and couterclockwise on the left legs. Done that way they usually stay on for us until we catch the animal and cut them off. 8)

Big Muddy rancher said:
We should start a thread with all the things that we have found on cattle and horses feet.
Once we picked up a yearling that was limping and it had a broken quart sealer jar around it's foot and another time a bull had half hitched a peice of fine eletic fence wire around it's leg. Could not figure out what was cause this until felt in the cut and had to dig in with a pair of side cutter to cut the wire.
We had a horse the that had some thing shiny on the sole of its foot, turned out to be a ledger plat off a mower guard wit the rivet still in it and stuck in the foot.

Agree with ya B.M.R We had a cow come home with a coyote snare last month .One hell of a mess.Maggots everywhere.Fished out the snare with of all things a crochet hook so we could snip off with side cutters.

If it is footrot,

have had best luck with Tylan and Copertox. I generally like to give something other than Oxytet or LA if I can. It is a matter of medicine rotation in my book. If I treat everything with tetracyclines, pretty soon it could be less effective. Plus, Tylan deal has always worked for me,

PPRM

We usally just rope them and give them 60cc's of LA 200 has been working well all summer have had alot of it this summer.

Latest posts