• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Help from the northern folks?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

txag

Reaction score
Brrrrrrr!!! I have to admit I'm kind of wimpy when it comes to cold weather, but this afternoon when I came in my fingers felt like I could just break 'em off if I hit something hard enough with them. I definitely need new gloves & was wondering if any of you folks who have to deal with real cold weather have any suggestions on brands/styles that you prefer?

I have a blonde hand warmer that I am very satisfied with.... :twisted:

The warmest thing I have found is a leather outer mitt(not glove) with a woolen liner. Thats what I use when it gets really cold,as in -40.
There are lots of fleece lined leather work gloves on the market that are pretty good as well. Not real pricey either.
Some of the better quality "Mechanix" type gloves worn inside a larger, more durable, leather glove work pretty good in the extreme cold,too.
You can pop the outer glove off for a few minutes if you are doing something that requires more dexterity(like lighting a smoke), and still have some protection on your hands.
What works the best though, is to try and stay active enough to keep your heart rate up and to make sure and eat really well when it is cold out.
Eat some pasta and some onions(and BEEF :wink: ) before you go out in the cold. Works for me. :)

Tim's onto something. The mit-in-a-mit system (except we didn't call it that back in those days) worked for me when I was in the oil patch.
You need a good, thick cowhide outer. They're not much use for fine tunin' like hand tightening a nut. Then you gotta take them off and gut it out.
But that gives you a good excuse to go hide in the truck for a while with the heater blasting.
Also came in handy for that old rope tow at the Drayton Valley ski hill.
You could burn up a pair of dainty ski gloves in a half hour trying to get on that contraption.
I still got my old pair in the hunting pack. I pull them out when I'm running the Armstrong ice auger at Pigeon Lake.

Knit wool gloves inside leather "chopper mitts", as muy old Dad called them.

When I was feeding with a team, I liked the shooters mitts as you can do a lot with the index finger and the rest of your hand.

My hands break open and crack and bleed when ever I get them or keep them very wet and/or cold. I have tried about everything.

Leather outers stand up to lots of hard use. I think some of this new stuff is probably pretty warm, but I never seem to find them or am willing to pay for them.

Elkskin is the warmest, tuffest leather I've ever used and stays pretty pliable when it gets cold.

Silk and wool both hold their warming qualities when they are wet.

Hope this helps. :)

I like the team roper glove for the inner glove...Give you plenty of finger dexterity on working on little things if you take the outer glove off- and they are cheap so you can have lots of pairs and just switch off when they get wet...

For outer gloves I usually just wear the cloth rubberized yellow chore gloves (also cheap)...Like the roper glove I have several in the house and several in the vehicle and can just switch them if they get wet inside.....

The best gloves I have found are Head Outlast ski gloves. I went through the forty below weather last week pen riding with toasty hands, and last winter too. They are pricier, but I don't like freezing fingers!

Thanks for the tips everyone. I was already doubled-up in two pair but still cold. I may have to check into those ski gloves. Considering our ski selection here in So Tx is pretty slim, I may have to check online. :lol:

txag said:
Thanks for the tips everyone. I was already doubled-up in two pair but still cold. I may have to check into those ski gloves. Considering our ski selection here in So Tx is pretty slim, I may have to check online. :lol:
Yea, that 35 degree texas weather can ge a killer.

OK folks, this is the same person that went running for carharts when it hit 60 degrees and the sun went down. I was there, I witnessed it. Txag is more than a little wimp!! :p Txag is a BIG wimp!!

BUT, to answer your question...I like mittens rather than the big bulky snow gloves. I bought mine out of a bargin bin at Cabela's. Cost me 10 bucks. Then I put another pair of thinner gloves under them so I can still work. I just flip back the top of the mitten, my fingers are exposed so I can work but not left out to the elements.
Here is a picture. I have 2 pair, one set that is just for hunting and a set that I wear on the farm.
i921323sn02.jpg

txag said:
Thanks for the tips everyone.
I used to have a vet that cut the sleeve of his insulated coveralls off at the armpit...on his palpating arm. Then, he would have his wife sew a zipper set up on it so that he could just unzip that sleeve to get it out of the way.

Now txag, you might be asking yourself, "what the heck does this have to do with me wanting to know about gloves?" You mentioned tips, so I was just thinking that this tip might be something else that you could use.

I know that you probably cut one of the fingers off of your gloves to make it easier to pick your nose without taking your glove off and getting your whole hand cold. With my tip, you might could just put a zipper on that finger instead of throwing it away.

Hope this helps.

LOL Cert...those mittens look like they had a wreck with a roll of duct tape. But.......when it's cold...pretty aint a factor.

I will wear just about anything when its cold if it'll keep me warmer. Mr Lilly's hand me down coveralls for instance......I have (had) two pairs of his old ones...one pair is now bein sported around by Lil Lilly. Of course she tried to take the better lookin pair of the two...but I'm not lettin her do that. LOL She wears them at school in the ag shop and while feedin horses.

As for gloves......I wear my leather work gloves, they aren't lined, if it's super cold, I'll put on a pair of ropin gloves under them. I wish I could find another pair of gloves like Lil Lilly has. Last year when we went on the ag trips it was 85 the day we arrived, the kids swam in the pool at the motel, got up the next mornin and the free ways were iced over and closed for most of the morning, so we headed to the local Walmart (yeap I said the bad word) and bought all the kids gloves, scarves, and head gear.......the girls all got the same thing.....they are some ugly lime green sets....but man I tell ya they are soft and warm....I had on her gloves the other day just to run outside, and my hands stayed so warm and toasty.

(Too bad Mr Lilly don't read ranchers......that'd be a hint for Christmas present LOL)

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
LOL Cert...those mittens look like they had a wreck with a roll of duct tape. But.......when it's cold...pretty aint a factor.

EXACTALLY!!! And they were in the bargin bin.

At 35 degrees, I would be wearing my light lined leather gloves, and ski gloves would be way too warm! I don't know what temps you're dealing with, but I didn't think Texas got very cold? Try drinking more water and less coffee, and see if your circulation improves, and that my help more than warmer gloves.

We've had low 20s and a night or two that was 19 for lows. It's not that bad durin the day, but in the evenin's when we seem to do most of our outside work, feedin horses and cows, with a lil breeze those temps really feel cold to us warm weather folks.
I just don't think our bodies (us Texans LOL) are meant to withstand temperatures below 60 degrees. We're too used to 100 degrees 80% of the year LOL
Also we don't have much of a Spring or Fall to acclimate our bodies to the cold......we'll have 85 degree weather usually up until Thanksgivin or so, then WHAM....a blue norther blows in and it's 20 degrees. Can happen in a matter of a few hours time......

Lilly you'll just have to come north and enjoy some -30 to -40 weather, as the Aussie girl says it was enough to ensure she'll never complain about the cold weather again back in Australia. It is true that you need to get used to colder weather. After the cold snap last week, this week's chinook temperatures (around 32-35 F) seems pretty toasy. Ran around work in a polar fleece jacket and vest quite comfortably.

I just wear those cheap yellow chore gloves or a pair of leather work gloves my hand's dont usually get that cold but I have to keep my ears covered with my ear flappers.Its been cold here for a week now today it is 45 above I was feeding cows in a t-shirt got hot in the tractor cab.

Well, some more interesting ideas.

Texan, I'm not sure I'll use the zipper-finger idea ( :p ) but I do kind of like that zipper-sleeve idea for a.i.'ing.

I don't think too much coffee is the problem 'cause I won't touch the stuff and I do drink lots of water.

Yep, cert, you remember well. I don't think I could live in the northern latitudes. I like to visit & even do some skiing but I always take plenty of clothes & am pretty good at layering. :lol:

I guess I should have explained a little better in my initial post......Typically just working outside I do ok with one pair but it's when I have to go from place to place on my mechanical horse that my hands get really cold. I may need to check into some of the handlebar mitts instead of gloves.

Again, thanks for all the suggestions!

Latest posts