• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Help! My cows are starving!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Doug Thorson

Reaction score
Because it is now December I decided to cake my cows 3 days a week to make my grass last longer. I am thinking 3 pounds of cake and 25 pounds of hay 3 days a week might make things work through January, but I am not sure my skinny cows are going to last on that. :wink:

012.jpg

here they come

014.jpg

013.jpg

:eek: :eek: :eek: Poor skinny things!

018.jpg

a game of find the cake! :p :p

010.jpg

025.jpg

Almost nothing to feed them to shape them up :lol: :lol:

023.jpg

Neighbor's bulls standing in the fence corner, starving to death
(are any familiar BRG?)
024.jpg

I don't think he has enough hay to feed those five bulls for the winter!!!!!

027.jpg

My bulls are in pretty tough shape also! 847 is almost as skinny as I am!

Those neglected cattle look fleshed up rather nicely headin' into winter! If your gonna cake em' i'd suggest no icing or they might get too fat! :wink:

Great minds think alike-I broke down and hauled a couple protein tubs out to mine today. Did you know caking cows cures deafness-when we tried it with ours they could hear the key turn in the feeds truck a mile away.

Doug, now you must get every one of those cows some safety goggles! Those poor cows are going to poke their eyes out getting through that grass to find the cake! :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :eek: 8)

Those cows look great! :D I'm envious!

I'm feeding these cows creatively as well since I had to move them from their normal winter pasture because everything was coated in ice.

. Did you know caking cows cures deafness-when we tried it with ours they could hear the key turn in the feeds truck a mile away.

That is fine with me since those cows are 7 miles one way away from home! :wink:

Those poor cows!! :shock: :D

If there's such thing as reincarnation I may want to come back as one of your cows. :D They look good. I see one that looks a little familiar myself, he's looking good also.

OK I'll be the one to ask the stupid question - why are you supplementing your cows when they have that much grass and not even any snow cover? Is the grass so deficient in quality that it needs supplementing? if so why do you give them both pellets and hay? What nutrients are you providing with each of the supplements?

Grassfarmer said:
OK I'll be the one to ask the stupid question - why are you supplementing your cows when they have that much grass and not even any snow cover? Is the grass so deficient in quality that it needs supplementing? if so why do you give them both pellets and hay? What nutrients are you providing with each of the supplements?

He said he was trying to stretch the grass thru january.

Just stretching grass and trying to keep them in the shape they are in. I have 1 1/4 acres of grass per cow. Most years a non-lactating cow will eat 1 1/2 per month, but we grew a little more this year, so hopefully that ration and what grass is there will work for 60 days. That would leave 45 days of full feeding before calving. I am not a nutritionist so what I know is from visual, but I am sure that cows do better around here if there is still some grass that they can pick at. The cake is for nutrition and hay is to make them feel full. If you feed only hay here, you have to feed a lot of it and my hay is pretty low quality because I saved my best for April and the next best is for calves I am wintering, then my 2-3 year old bunch has better hay and finally the cows get what I figure nothing else will eat! I doubt they cleaned up what I gave them very well. I will have to try the other side of the stack and see if it is better, because what I gave them was almost alfalfa straw.

Latest posts