• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Help need to talk son into going

Help Support Ranchers.net:

MsSage

Reaction score
My son played in a chess tournament during a class. He did NOT know it was one. They did not have a sub for his next class and his algerbra2 teacher said for him to stay and play chess with her next class.
Well he has always been gifted in chess...taught himself to play at 5 on the computer.
He won the schools tournament and then the next day they had the systems tournament at his school ..teacher talked him into playing again. Not sure how cuz he thinks chess is for geeks.
He won the systems and he is to represent the school system in April at the National Jr High chess championship.
HE DONT want to go.
HELPPPPPPPPPPPPPP
I have even tried to explain to him that grils really like geeks in high school and college cuz they KNOW geeks make lots of money after college. Nope no go.
There is NO cost since his teacher entered him without my permission she said she will pay all cost and she is going to be a chaperon. I trust her fully.
Please this would be a awsome experience for him. If he places in the top 15 he gets an automatic entry the next year to the High school championship, which they give scholarship money.
Here is my NON geek :wink:

bbf52426.jpg

Chess is NOT for Geeks, it takes some real thinking and concentration. Winning Chess players exhibit truly intelligent minds. I'm a horrible chess player :cry: but I really admire those who do well. You go and win!!!!! OOOOORRRRRRAAAAAAAA!!!!!

MsSage,
Here is my thoughts, I once was a boy in Jr High, along time ago that is. It is hard to have a good mind and get good grades, be good at things like chess and fit in when all anyone talks about is the great quarterback or the basketball team. So it is easier to try to be one of them instead of using the talents that you have. My nephew who plays college baseball told me this yesterday. I wish that I would have worked harder at getting good grades so I didn't have to play baseball to pay for college. He was the high school quarterback, the stud on the basketball court, the heavy hitter on the baseball team and he wishes that he would of worked harder at being a geek instead of making fun of them. He is on an athletic scholarship and wishes that he would of been a geek.
You also tell him that he should not pass on opportunities as you do not know what could come of this chance. Besides, chess is a game played with offense and defense, same as football, same as the military same as life. It is all in your response to someone elses moves and what direction you want to go with your plan. Go boy

I for one have always enjoyed the challanges of Chess. It has never been a geek game...... It is the game of Gentlemen. Playing chess will get you nowhere but ahead in the game of life and it can easily be used in all phases of business.

Even getting an old cow through a gate is a game of chess.

Chess. I get my butt whipped by my wife on a regular basis.

It is a game of war.

It is a game of strategy.

It proves one has an understanding of military tactics.

It teaches one to think ahead.

It teaches one to counteract an unplanned attack.

It teaches how to flank an enemy and kill.

It teaches one to use feinting moves to kill.

It teaches one to use a ruse - allowing a kill.

It teaches one that frontal attacks do not always provide a kill.

Tell him most of the great military leaders were known as geeks when they were younger. Thay also mastered games of strategy and combat. Chess was their teacher.

I wish I could master the darned game and beat my wife.

Your son should be proud of his ability - it is rare - it is unique and it is to be admired.

When I read this it almost makes me fear my wife! :lol:

B.C.

MsSage,
I also just thought about this, I started writing poetry in 7th grade, didn't care what anyone thought and that was before Cowboy poetry got going. In Literature we had to write one poem for one of the meanest teachers I ever had and I wrote a pile of them just for fun. That was geekey to every one until they started reading what I wrote, then it was kinda cool.

My thoughts are to tell him the above and to add, "this chance may never come your way again. It is an adventure. Who wants to miss out on an adventure in life, especially at your age and with honors?"

Some of the kids that will give him a hard time are most likely jealous. Tell him to RISE ABOVE. Obviously he likes Chess or he wouldn't have learned how to play it in the first place.

He MUST do this...it would be an awful loss to him if he declines.

My husband played the piano as a little boy, but the kids gave him such a bad time, he quit. Guess what? Today he wishes he had tuned them out. He was a talented piano player way back then...

Maybe a little reverse psychology? I know that whenever my parents were pressuring me to do something, I got suspicious and it immediately turned me off.

You read my mind mp! Yes, try saying it's his loss if something big happens like a prize thingy.. OR, just tell him to do it and he won't do dishes for a month as a reward! :roll: :wink: :D

I read all yalls answers and the one that got him thinking was broke cowboy.......if it deals with war and military he will listen.
So he said he will think about it. SO I am goign to ignor him and it till he comes back to me. .....GAWD I hope that works.
I cant even tell where to put the pieces can name them and thats about it. His Dad can move them and thats about it. We are NOT sure where he got the gift of the game BUT I am very happy he has it.
Says he wants to be a sniper in the army. Chess will sever him well if I can get him to see that.
I will let ya know what he decideds......please please please go Not above begging LOL

sw said:
MsSage,
I also just thought about this, I started writing poetry in 7th grade, didn't care what anyone thought and that was before Cowboy poetry got going. In Literature we had to write one poem for one of the meanest teachers I ever had and I wrote a pile of them just for fun. That was geekey to every one until they started reading what I wrote, then it was kinda cool.

Poetry in the seventh grade. Heck you must have been writing while Shakespere was still wearing short pants.

MsSage said:
I read all yalls answers and the one that got him thinking was broke cowboy.......if it deals with war and military he will listen.
So he said he will think about it. SO I am goign to ignor him and it till he comes back to me. .....GAWD I hope that works.
I cant even tell where to put the pieces can name them and thats about it. His Dad can move them and thats about it. We are NOT sure where he got the gift of the game BUT I am very happy he has it.
Says he wants to be a sniper in the army. Chess will sever him well if I can get him to see that.
I will let ya know what he decideds......please please please go Not above begging LOL

The intelligence that makes one good at chess will remain whether he goes to the tournament or not, so you come out a winner either way.

Poetry in the seventh grade. Heck you must have been writing while Shakespere was still wearing short pants.

Hmmmmm since sw and I are about the same age are you saying I am OLD??????????????
hmmmmm Chaucer was better than shakespear anyways lots cuter :wink:

1881000e.jpg

Chess is a great game. My son and I enjoy taking each other on, but he continually whomps me. Once in a while, I come out ahead which revives my spirits and gives me the encouragement to try it again.

It has long been my theory that wars between countries be played on a chess board. Each country could pick their best players, and settle their differences in a gentlemanly fashion. It would sure save a lot of wear and tear on manpower and equipment, and the financial savings would be tremendous.

MsSage, tell your son to "go for it". He will never be sorry he did, and will probably regret it the rest of his life if he doesn't.

Soapweed said:
Chess is a great game. My son and I enjoy taking each other on, but he continually whomps me. Once in a while, I come out ahead which revives my spirits and gives me the encouragement to try it again.

It has long been my theory that wars between countries be played on a chess board. Each country could pick their best players, and settle their differences in a gentlemanly fashion. It would sure save a lot of wear and tear on manpower and equipment, and the financial savings would be tremendous.

MsSage, tell your son to "go for it". He will never be sorry he did, and will probably regret it the rest of his life if he doesn't.

Exactly. He will never know how he will do in the tournament if he doesn't go for it. It would be sad for him to wonder the rest of his life.

More often than not, why don't we attempt something new?
It is because we fear something.

This might be a fear of failing from a very exposed position publicity-wise.
Plus the strangeness of traveling with his teacher. Plus wondering
how he'll feel when he returns home. Some kids just fear the limelight and hoopla.

I hope he changes his mind, but I know a gal who turned down a free trip to England for part of summer school, said she just wasn't interested but in actuality she had fears of being away from home.

Chess can be cool. That's the message. 8)

Rent a copy of "Independence Day". The guy who saved the world starts out in the movie playing chess with his father in the park. :D

The first Harry Potter movie .. same thing. Chess skills saved the day. :D

The coolest people are the ones who do what they love with no concern about what others think, and that includes being a chess wizard. They don't follow the pack. They think for themselves. That's what makes them cool. 8)

Not sure if this helps but lately I have been calling myself a geek. After several years of university now focusing on genetics and DNA I had started to think that I was turning into a geek. I even was calling a conference I had to go to a geek conference as it was some pretty intense genetic research.

My best friend the other day put it very nicely to me when he was harassing me about something I said... I replied that I can't help the fact that I am a geek. He said well there is nothing wrong with being a geek! Geeks are really smart people that have the potential to be very cool and just like any other "Full of it Farm Boy" he said "Hey I am talking to you!... But it would be a different story if you were a nerd!!"

Trust me geeks are cool!

My son has a 97 average in high school. And he always takes it as a compliment. When they call him an overachiever. Excepting a challenge is fun. And it's okay to fail or loose. YOu have to learn to be a graceful winner and loser. Just keep it fun and low keyed...

Latest posts