• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

HELP:photography course.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Canadian_Cowgirl

Reaction score
For a credit in school, I wanted to do a photography course. But the problem is that they dont have one for our curriculum, so our student liaison said that i could make my own course, problem is, I dont really know what i should do. Like what stuff i have to say im gunna learn, Any suggestions would be helpful.

This would be for me to do on my own, for me to get a credit.

And i need a list of people who would be a resource for me. If any of yall are ok with me putting you down as a resource that would be helpful. She is alright with it, Its just any one that can help. give tips and stuff.

Katy

You could do a photostudy of the same subject in different light at different exposures or something like that. Pick your favorite critter and make them a star. I get the Sr. 4H kids to take the pics for our sale catalogue. Show your liason how your going to learn all about lighting etc.

http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/proddetail.asp?logon=&langid=EN&sku_id=0665000FS10093320&catid=#

What do yall think about this camera? Would it be a good camera for me?? I was in the market for a new camera, anyways.

well the one thing that jumped out at me was the fact that you need 2 AA batteries.. This I think would be a pain always needing batteries.I would get one that has a battery pack which can be recharged in about 30 min.
I would shop some more and look for one with battery pack.. Cost may be a little more. Shop around you should find one for same amount.. Also when shopping go to a regular camera shop (and have a look)you might be surprised what you will find there And they will know alot more about cameras than the kid at future shop.They might give you a good idea what camera is best for you.

My camera takes 2 AA batteries, and i dont mind em. I dont have alot of money to spend on this, and i have to buy a camera farely soon, so i can print out my pictures for a portfolio. so many decisions

Here's a site that has a good bunch of advice on what you could use for your course:

http://photography.nationalgeographic.com/photography/photo-tips?nav=TOPNAV

Another thing to think about is what NR said, that's a pretty good idea to start with. Maybe a photostudy of really fine close-ups of different media, like flowers is another good idea...You gotta be real creative if you decide to use one subject matter, just remember that. It's just as good to do a little variety too to make things interesting.

There's so much to photography, so many things to decide what to do, how to do them, ect. No wonder you couldn't think of what to start with. :)

My $0.02

If you like the AA batteries consider buying rechargeable NiMH AA batteries and charger. Get one of the trickle (slow) chargers, with the fast charge ones you won't get a complete charge. With the slow charge you'll get a full charge and longer life expectancy on the batteries. The alkaline AA's are worthless, maybe 25 photos. The rechargeable ones can get in the 100's of photos range on one charge and you can recharge the batteries 100 plus times, depending on your camera and your usage.
My brother just bought an Energizer charger, $20 US, and a 4 pack of batteries for $12 US. That's pretty economical per photo.

Good luck!

Canon cameras are pretty easy on batteries. I use my buddy's Powershot a fair bit and really like it. The quality of Olympus cameras is nice, but they are the worst for battery life. I have one and it's terrible.

Katy, very nice camera. 10x optical zoom should make for some really nice close up shots. My recommendation is find some good online reviews from non-biased sources like CNET.com

Ok..how long have I had my new camera???.....I just today had to take the new batteries out and charge them. They weren't totally dead. They've lasted probably a month or better??? I won't buy regular batteries any more.

CC,
I think this is a great idea for a school credit. (wish our school would let the kids do somethin like this)
Do a google search for photography tutorials. You should come up with limitless things to read. You could probably narrow your search to flowers, or animals, horses, etc....I know there are several horse photography sites.
I'd be happy to help you any way I can. I'm not a professional by any means, but I'm willin to help if I can.

I've always wanted to take a photography class. If you find on online class maybe several of us could take it together! I agree with the rechargable AA's.

I have taken over 7000 pics with my cam and have recherged my battery pack i think 3 times ( it was never all used up just wanted to make sure it was charged)I used to have a camera that used rechargable AA batteries I was charging them little buggers all the time, they were always dead when u wanted them..

I took a photography class in high school but that was when the school only had one digital camera and it was behind lock and key.....we used the old 35mm and we learned everything from rolling our own film, developing our own film and then producing black and white pictures by developing them ourselves. Was a great class I loved it. Our assignments for class was to take different categories....example we had to have a portfolio of different shots....action, still life, animals, plants, landscape, etc...

Then also in High school I worked for a photo shop where I would do all the black and white film. I would make negatives from an old picture and would do minor touch ups on old pictures. Would develop and print the black and white photographs in a dark room....what fun!!! Don't miss the smell of the "fixer" tho...ughh that stuff will remove nose hair!

We learned about cropping and using natural cropping and background effects to inhance the pictures. The field of photography is endless!!!! There are so many things you could do to make a class out of it!!!

I'd love to teach photography! It was always a talent I had in high school and throughout....its amazing that most people just can't take pictures!!! Like they just point and shoot and don't look at the background, the lighting, etc...

Thanks everyone!! I got the template for the make your own course today, Ill look it over, and get Val to help me make up the course.

Tibbs, one of the teachers i went and talked to did that. he said it was cool, but he couldnt help me, cuz want i wanted to do had nothing to do with that.

Well It comes down, to getting this new camera, or using my older one, which is all pixelly when i print a picture off..

I need alot of resources, so if I can put you on my list please PM me! Thanks!!

Katy

Latest posts