• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Helping at the Neighbours

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
Been giving the neighbours a hand weaning and sorting the last two days. Four of us managed to wean and sort around 1,200 calves. Or about 1/3 of the herd.
I appeared to have a "captive audience" of freshly separated mothers and thought it would make a good picture. I Should have tried it in panoramic mode to better capture the numbers staring my direction.

RkUblOS.jpg

With my bad knee I had half the crew and we split cows from calves and the rest of the crew worked on foot to sort the strs to ship out. Worked great but doesn't work in all situations.

If you can sit back and let the cows shift out mostly on their own it's amazing how many you can get split off without very much effort.

Big Muddy rancher said:
Make sure you give him a call the night before.lol

Yeah, he might forget! That is a pile to sort on foot, you should be tired. When do you do the rest?

Nicky said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Yeah, he might forget! That is a pile to sort on foot, you should be tired. When do you do the rest?

I'll be sure to remind him!
The work is ongoing there, it was time for me to get back to my own "to do" list.

Silver said:
Nicky said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

The work is ongoing there, it was time for me to get back to my own "to do" list.

With that many cattle, he must have a lot of hired help. Hopefully hired help that use horses. Would make it much easier.

Faster horses said:
Silver said:
Nicky said:

With that many cattle, he must have a lot of hired help. Hopefully hired help that use horses. Would make it much easier.

There is some hired help. There is no shortage of horses around there, but for some reason the plan was not to do much sorting with them. I dunno. I just did as I was asked and helped as best I could, and used the horse whenever I had the chance.

Mr. FH went over to a neighbors to help brand, took his horse because we work cattle horseback. They used the horses to gather with then everyone tied their horses to the fence and 1 guy knocked the calves down (forgot what they call that) and then two guys held the calf down. Talk about a workout. He never went back. He has no issue with a calf table when it is used right, but that was ridiculous. Too many old guys making up branding crews to put up with that.

Latest posts