• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Helping Cure gather his desert permit

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Most of you all know Cure from here in Utah who lives in Kamas, Utah and posts quite a bit. Well, apparently his supply of misery and sadness was running dangerously low, so he made a call to my cell phone and asked for assistance in getting it back up to acceptable levels! I immediately dropped everything i was doing and rushed south to aid him gather cows off his desert permit while also doing my best to irritate, frustrate and disgust him to the point his misery quota would be replentished! At days end he told me i went above and beyond his wildest dreams of misery and probably will never need to ever see me again. I aim to please pal! :D His desert differs from mine in lots of ways except our lack of moisture. We scattered out to look for cows in sandy, mostly flat country that had occasional bands of lava flow sprinkled about. Here's me and Reba working our way south.
DSC00829.jpg

Looking west through the Utah version of the sandhills. I never saw a single soapweed. Somebody must'a told him i was coming.
DSC00830.jpg

It was a fine April desert day. Got about a quarter inch of rain last night, which had settled the sandy dust nicely and made it easy to spot fresh cow tracks. The wind was steady but mostly mild.
DSC00831.jpg

I happened to look behind me and realized somebody a horseback was following me! :shock: :D Alas, it was myself and myself's horse whose hooves had left the trail over the dune. :wink:
DSC00832.jpg

This country has scattered pockets of juniper trees but was mostly sandy dunes with a really good amount of grass and browse. The cows were in fine flesh and content as we found them.
DSC00833.jpg

Bunch grass and native grass like indian rice grass was almost abundant.
DSC00834.jpg

Typical of gathering off the desert, you'd find 8 or 10 in little bunches scattered every couple of miles.
DSC00835.jpg

We started the day riding together, but it did not take too long until they'd had enough of me and decided we should split up in order to cover more country and possibly they hoped i would become lost. It's hard to tell from this distance, but both guys were suprised and slightly sad when i showed back up. They had nice Palomino mares as mounts even if they tried in vain to ditch me!
DSC00836.jpg

We ended up putting 11 head into a trap at a windmill. The solar panel is for a pump that sends water from this well and tank through a pipeline to another trough down the country a ways. We cut one cow with a brandnew baby off and loaded them in the stock trailer for a ride back to camp.
DSC00837.jpg

We followed our little bunch a ways and ended up finding 14 more all paired up, so we tucked them in and delivered them all back to the big pond and the trap by camp. Tomorrow, they will get a ride back up into the high mountain valley where Cure has his headquarters.
DSC00838.jpg

Reba was glad to see the trailer. We rode probably 12 miles or so and that ol' sand makes a pony work a bit.
DSC00839.jpg

Cure is the tall feller in the black vest. His wife told me he likes to wear tough, manly colors like black in order to try to compensate for also being a dairy farmer. :shock: :lol: He is a great guy with a nice bunch of cattle, a sweet, pretty wife and a lot of patience. The guy on the left is his cousin Kenneth who is a good hand and rode the beautiful buckskin mare also pictured. Scott is a good friend of Cure's who came out to help with the gather. He is originally from New York and even though i must of suggested it a dozen times, they wouldn't allow me to hang him! :cry: :lol: He now lives in Utah though, so it's probably for the best. And i am the guy on the right who the others are smiling in spite of.
DSC00840.jpg

That country is sure different. Driving back to the highway, i took some shots of the lava and the bands of old lava flow. Here's one from a ways away.
DSC00842.jpg

And the same place up a tad closer, via the zoom. Just a wall of old lava flow i guess. My geology degree is still trying to finish college by itself. It's probably getting better grades than i did while helping it!
DSC00843.jpg

The hay feilds run right up next to the lava. It makes for a contrast of color
DSC00844.jpg

Another shot of the feilds and the lava flow.
DSC00846.jpg

One last close up to show how jagged and rough the lava is up close. I can't imagine much would live out there but nature might have some secrets i don't know about. Thanks Cure and family, for getting with me and inviting me down today. Ya'll are a fine bunch and i really enjoyed getting in the way. Lets do it again if ya ever find yourself in dire need of a misery re-fill. Until then, have a fine evening.
DSC00845.jpg

Great photos and story, Leanin' H. In some of those pictures of the Utah desert, riders mounted on camels almost wouldn't have looked out of place. It probably is quite tiring for a horse to trudge through some of that sand. Thanks for letting us travel with you on a fun day.

Thanks for the picture story, H. Glad you got the mission accomplished!
That is some kind of country. :shock:
Do you need to shoe your horses to ride in that? I realize
the sand you wouldn't, but where that lava rock is....that's what
made me wonder.

And now we've met cure. "Hi cure. Glad to meetcha." :D

Cure home counrty is really planting its last crop.... My SIL lives there and the develoment just kind of takes your stomach away.
Oh Great pics H , glad Cure could put up with you :D

Faster horses said:
Thanks for the picture story, H. Glad you got the mission accomplished!
That is some kind of country. :shock:
Do you need to shoe your horses to ride in that? I realize
the sand you wouldn't, but where that lava rock is....that's what
made me wonder.

And now we've met cure. "Hi cure. Glad to meetcha." :D

It is definately country you want to ride a shod horse in. The lava fingers that extend out through the sand is starting to crumble and it looks a lot like really old asphalt. A barefoot horse would probably get sore in a hurry. Of course, i keep my horses all in new iron for footwear as the granite and shale where i normally ride neccasitates them.

Snow i know why H didn't find any cattle when we split up with all the pictures he took :D. It was a real treat having him come out and help us for the day and to tell you other guys the truth he not a bad hand either :lol: . H just remeber one thing it is better to be a dairy farmer than a goat herder. On a serious note it was great to have someone come down and chew the fat with and your welcome at my camp fire anytime. Let me know when i can return the favor.

Latest posts