• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Herd Bull, Kill Plant, Close Call!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BRG

Reaction score
We own a herdbull with another good Red Angus breeder in NE. We were going to meet him at a sale barn in southern SD with the bull, but he could not make it. So we made plans to drop the bull off at the sale barn and he would pick him up the next day. Set it all up with the barn and dropped him off. Then the next day we got a phone call from our partner and said the bull isn't there. So he went and visited with the barn owner and made some calls. Couldn't find him anywhere. He got a little more excited and interested when we told him he cost $30,000 as a yearling. Come to find out, a trucker loaded him up and was headed to a kill plant in WI. Late last night we got a phone call from the barn owner and said they found the trucker before he dropped him off. He is now on his way back to NE. That was a little to close for me. Just glad we found him before he getting to the kill plant.

My buddies two feature bulls got hauled from the mart to Lakeside but they found them just before the knock box-they brought 4600 and 4800 a couple hours later. Now that's a 'festive'avatar Jersey :wink:

Goes to prove that people...on a whole...just plain don't listen.

Glad ya got him....he'll surely be road weary after this.

That was just to close for comfort - -- - - I wonder who whould have been responcible if the ending was different????

My guess would be the trucker. To my understanding he showed up and loaded by himself. He did not have any paperwork on the bull. So he could have got in trouble with the brand inspector too.

Now you can advertize how Packers will nearly resort to theft to get bulls as good as yours, LOL,

Maybe this is a sign that some of him should be in a tank full of straws???

PPRM

BRG said:
We own a herdbull with another good Red Angus breeder in NE. We were going to meet him at a sale barn in southern SD with the bull, but he could not make it. So we made plans to drop the bull off at the sale barn and he would pick him up the next day. Set it all up with the barn and dropped him off. Then the next day we got a phone call from our partner and said the bull isn't there. So he went and visited with the barn owner and made some calls. Couldn't find him anywhere. He got a little more excited and interested when we told him he cost $30,000 as a yearling. Come to find out, a trucker loaded him up and was headed to a kill plant in WI. Late last night we got a phone call from the barn owner and said they found the trucker before he dropped him off. He is now on his way back to NE. That was a little to close for me. Just glad we found him before he getting to the kill plant.

BRG:

Is this why you had the "stomach flu" yesterday???

Christmas Cheers to you and Mrs. BRG!!!

TTB and Mr.TTB :santa:

We are bringing in and shipping out a lot of registered cattle most of the year. 99% of these are picked up at a central location by a paid trucker, and there can be nightmares. I prefer not to leave or accept cows at a sale barn for two reasons. 1) If you don't meet the trucker at the barn then you are leaving a very valueable animal in the hands of someone who does not have a vested intrest in the animal. 2) the disease factor is out of your control, when cows stay at a barn for 1 day or one hour we have to quarintine them for 45 days when we finally get them back.

Well we had an interestin day here. I gotta call about 10 am, from Mr Lilly's dad, he'd happened to stop at the feed store and was yackin to the lady that works there. Her Hubby happens to be the County Estray officer. She then tells him that her hubby was in a few minutes ago and had several cows penned at the salebarn that he thought were ours.
(Registered brand, right front shoulder) HELLO!!!!
Anyway, dad n law called me to see if I knew anything about it. Naturally I didn't, no one had called me. I haven't been out to the pasture all weekend, since I been tryin to finish up my CD.
Ok, I load up and head to the pasture to see what I can find, (or not find) I can't tell squat cuz all of em are scattered from one end to the other. I head to where I thought??? the estray pens are. I didn't know that they now take estrays to the salebarn instead of their pens. Anyway, I came back to the place, Mr Lilly is on his way home, so I hightail it home to get the trailer hooked up. No sense in drivin all the way over there without it.
We get there, yeap they've got 6 of our cows, neighbor that called in, knew who's they were but didnt even attempt to call us :mad: :mad:
All I can say to that, is SHAME ON HIM!!!! in 15 years this is the first time any cows got on his place of ours. Dad n law did patch our bull on the wrong side of the fence one time but got him back out promply. We've had his bulls over here for months at a time and called him, and never had em hauled off.........new game plan on that now tho.
OK, so we are at the salebarn to pick up cows, they won't let us have em till we go to the sheriffs office and pay the fine. drive another 20 miles, got that taken care of. $306.00!!!!!! but while there, I stopped in the Sheriff himselfs office and asked," Who's the brand inspector here? and why didnt he do his job when these were brought in and a call placed to let us know??????" He ummmm'd and oooooooo'd ......I'm tellin ya, Mr Lilly was standin there, tellin me, be nice, we aint far to bar's ya know.
Drive back to the salebarn, load cows. Get em back home and unloaded, I had previously walked the neighbors fences tryin to see where they could have gotten into his place, only found one place where a tree had fell on the fence that looked like there'd been traffic thru there......anyhow, ended up runnin here there n everwhere till dark thirty and didn't git nothin accomplished today that I'd planned. Guess that's the way the cookie crumbles.

That was a nice way of your neighbour,to wish you a Merry Christmas Lilly.Sounds like he is a real,JERK!!So are you going to go over to his house,and wish him a Merry Christmas back?

I haven't even called, neither has Mr Lilly, figgered maybe we should let ourselves cool down some before we did, but I dont know if that'll help, I know I'mma git mad about it ever time I think about it for a while...daggum 300 bucks....whooshhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh gone

I can't blame you.I would be 4' in the air myself,and if the Mrs got a hold of him,it wouldn't be a pretty sight!!

My neighbor ( note I did not say friend) to the west has a reputation - - - if one of your animals gets on his property he shoots it and leaves it lay.

No one has caught him in the act but the sheriff has promised him if he is ever caught charges will be pressed.

In Indiana when you look at a fence from your side the right hand end is yours to maintain - - - My half is in good shape his has nothing but no tresspassing signs to hold it up. I moved in about a foot and put up a hot wire.

Twice last year a young bull of his came calling and each time I loaded him up and took him back. After he shot some cows that belonged to the neighbor north of us I have come to the decision if his animals come calling I will take them to the sale barn and have the check sent to the county for deterimination of where it should go.

George if your neighbour does that,to the neighbours cows that get on his land.I think there is a very serious problem,like maybe he should be in a mental institute?

You woulda thought he'd think twice lookin at a high quality animal in a pen by himself that's still packin his nuts. Then again, truck drivers don't need to know the difference between a bull or a cow to haul them. We've been lucky in the past. My Dad bought a package of 25 Angus cross heifers from a guy once, then came home and lined up the trucking with a buddy of his. When he got there to load them, the guy had a pen of 25 mutts waiting, so Aaron called Dad from his cell, knowing we wouldn't be payin good money for trash, since we'd sent the cheque with him! He came home with an empty trailer and the old man had a few choice words for that fella. :wink:

Ahhh Ha!!!! just got a phone call from the Animal Estray officer, seems they've done some investigatin' after my "complainin with a passion" session with the sheriff, that someone at their department "dropped the ball" n didnt do their job, (contactin the brand inspector when they should have) he called to let me know they'll be returning my check, in it's entirety, all $306.00 of it, to me this afternoon. And he also stated that the man that called and had our cows on his place, well he called this mornin to let them know that he discovered how they got in there to start with. The electric company contracts crews to come out and cut the tree limbs off the power lines. Seems they went thru his fence with the big cutter on tracks, cut it and forgot to put it back up. So I guess it does pay to complain to the right person when you have a legitimate gripe.
Woo Hoo, now I can still go shoppin for Christmas. Whewwwww!!!! I feel so much better now.

i am reminded DAILY that people that drive trucks do it because they are NOT rocket scientists :shock:

and i am reminded WEEKLY that there ARE a FEW drivers out there with more brains than god gave a goose. i'm glad you got the bull back--the guys that work at stockyards/packing plants unloading the trucks are about as good as the guys driving them.

it's a wonder there aren't more, huge, screw-ups than there are considering what we're working with.

Latest posts