• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

herd bulls

Help Support Ranchers.net:

LRAF

Reaction score
What's the one thing you look for in a herd bull? Is there an epd or physical characteristic that you must have (minus feet and legs we all know they need to be sound on there feet)?

Yep don't like these heavy fronted no rear end types or the ones thin as a rail. I try to breed a balanced looking bull That is maternally sound with plenty of thickness while trying to retain the epds that the customers in this area is looking for. Some of the most balanced bulls on looks I ever sold were sitz alliance 6595 sons. I have a chisum bull calf here that's one of the best looking young calves to ever be born here.

LRAF said:
Yep don't like these heavy fronted no rear end types or the ones thin as a rail. I try to breed a balanced looking bull That is maternally sound with plenty of thickness while farting to retain the epds that the customers in this area is looking for. Some of the most balanced bulls on looks I ever sold were sitz alliance 6595 sons. I have a chisum bull calf here that's one of the best looking young calves to ever be born here.

"farting" :???:

Lol @ bmr guess I fat fingered that one posting from my phone. I corrected it just for you.

Looking for a bull , thats like saying I need a car . What do you want that animal to do ? If you want a terminal end bull Go for growth & muscle .
If you want an animal to build a herd of cows out of to match your land , thats a whole different story . First thing I would look at for a maternal bull is his Mother , SIze , type , UTTER .....& feeding ability . & it helps if she is a little calm too . This all takes time but the rewards are endless . Cattle buyers & feeders want uniformity , cattle out of a printing press thats were the money is . Look at soap weeds cattle .....printing press

Profile - 70% body, 30% leg. If he's more like 50-50 I don't want to see anymore.

Very masculine with symmetrical testicles.

Thicker in the shoulders than in the hips with a loose-hided jiggle to him when he walks. Means marbling and tenderness where it matters.

If he's got these things then I move on to more detail.

Latest posts