• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Here you go OT

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mrs.Greg

Reaction score
Previously unarmed Canadian border guards held graduation ceremonies Friday after three weeks of firearms training and will return to work with sidearms on their hips.

"This is an ongoing step in equipping our border officers with the technology and the training to keep our border safe," Public Safety Minister Stockwell Day said Friday.

The plan is to eventually arm all 4,400 guards, a process that's expected to take a decade.

Twenty-four officers in Chilliwack and 28 in Ottawa went through three-week training programs on using Beretta PX4 Storm 9 mm pistols.

The RCMP conducted the training, instructing the guards on the responses to threats allowed by the law.

However, the guard's union isn't very happy with that training.

In a July 25 letter to Alan Jolicoeur, president of the Canada Border Services Agency, posted to the union's website, the president of the Customs Excise Union complained that the training was rushed and not specific to the unique circumstances that border guards face.

The union also claims that 25 per cent of those trained failed to graduate.

Ron Moran, the union's president, said his members are in favour of carrying sidearms.

"The work has gotten more dangerous," he said.

In January 2006, a U.S. police pursuit of two fugitives ended in a shootout only metres from the Canadian border at B.C.'s Peace Arch crossing in 2006.

If border guards think their safety is in jeopardy, they have the right to abandon their posts. The RCMP are expected to handle potentially violent situations.

The day after that Peace Arch incident, then-justice minister Vic Toews announced that border guards would be armed. Prime Minister Stephen Harper made yet another announcement in September 2006.

The former Liberal government thought arming guards would be too expensive and that having armed guards greeting visitors would send the wrong message. However, a 2005 Senate report found that arming border guards was a good idea

About time-- I couldn't believe they would have some of those people out at those isolated Border ports unarmed in the first place- and I still can't believe it will take 10 years to train and arm them all...

Who are they using for instructors-- some of the Halliburton contract folks that are training the Iraqui police?

In a couple years they will all be NAU Border guards-- then the biggest worry will be teaching them to speak Spanish- and handle the South Mexican heat :wink: :roll:

:D It looks like the RCMP,so even though its only three weeks it will be thorough...not surprised thier union doesn't think its long enough :roll: .

Your right...its about time.

Three weeks is about an average time for a Basic firearm course-- pistol, some familiarization with shotgun...As long as you have continuing training every year, about a week or so, broken up in 2 or 3 day segments-along with regular qualifications (quarterly or biannually)....

They shouldn't have to be going into specialized training (assault and barricade, sniper, pursuit, executive protection, or anything like that).....

At that rate ,border oughta be pretty secure in 50 years :D :D :D ,hell you can find more guns than that in any Texas honky tonk on Friday nite :D ,,,,,,,,,,,good luck

Actually if anyone has crossed our border they would wonder if its a real good idea these wanna-be RCMP,but failed the entrance exam border control guys should have access to guns :shock: :lol:

reader (the Second) said:
We just had 3 bizarre incidents at the border with Canada, all involving silly harrassment on the part of Canadian border officials, all at different locations with different Americans coming in. We figure that it's retaliation of some sort for something being done by the American border agents. Who knows but it's so out of the norm.

Geeezzzz....are we gonna have to invade Canada now????? :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

We just had 3 bizarre incidents at the border with Canada, all involving silly harrassment on the part of Canadian border officials, all at different locations with different Americans coming in. We figure that it's retaliation of some sort for something being done by the American border agents. Who knows but it's so out of the norm.
Nope...its really got nothing to do with retaliation. Like I said they're wanna-bes,they pull rank so to speak,its done to the Canadians too.Greg and I have never had a problam going into the States but coming home is a different thing,we've had our vehicals pulled apart,we hear this from almost everyone that crosses into Canada :?

Mrs.Greg said:
Nope...its really got nothing to do with retaliation. Like I said they're wanna-bes,they pull rank so to speak,its done to the Canadians too.Greg and I have never had a problam going into the States but coming home is a different thing,we've had our vehicals pulled apart,we hear this from almost everyone that crosses into Canada :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Sounds like you got yerself a bunch of Southern " good ol' boys" , just like we do !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: They're everywhere.

Mike said:
Sounds like you got yerself a bunch of Southern " good ol' boys" , just like we do !!!!! They're everywhere.

Watch your mouth girl. I resemble that remark!

I see you knew EXACTLY what I meant!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Mrs.Greg said:
Actually if anyone has crossed our border they would wonder if its a real good idea these wanna-be RCMP,but failed the entrance exam border control guys should have access to guns :shock: :lol:

So true and with the RCMP actually begging for recruits and changing age, weight, height and education restrictions makes you really wonder why some of the new yahoos on boarder patrol didn't get accepted.I guess all the good customs officers are now in the RCMP.

The thought I giving them a weapon is really not comforting at all.

Latest posts