• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hereford and Baldy guru's

Help Support Ranchers.net:

BlackCattleRancher

Reaction score
Looking at trying to make some baldies on my black angus cows. Got my eye on Harland, is he smoke and mirrors or the real deal. Would he work ok on black heifers calving ease wise? Thanks for the input.

Across breed EPD"s say to add 2.8 to a Hereford's birth EPD to bring his numbers in line with an Angus. Harland is a 1.8. Add 2.8 to that and you get a 4.6 birth EPD. That's the way I interpret it.

I've calved a handful of Harland's and had no trouble but really small numbers so I wouldn't call it certain. I dont put a lot of faith in the across breed adjustments either but that is just me. I really like the UPS Domino 3027 bull ABS has and he is a negative 1.1 BW I think...maybe too much milk but I would think he would be fine on heifers. We will have a few by him this spring so we will see.

I use Hereford bulls up to +2.5 without trouble on both Hereford and black heifers so I wouldn't be worried about that. Harland is a good bull but I am not positive he is all of everything they say about him.

Just to give you a coouple more options

http://colemanherefords.com/

http://www.thorsonherefords.com/index.html

I just bought Jamison's 6001 bull that is a great female producer and sits at about +2.2 on BW. He is at the bull stud now and not on the website yet.

All that being said, if you decide to go with Harland at least the color is right. 8)

It really depends on what your goals are and where your cow herd is at now.

I am not a huge fan of Harland although I wouldn't be afraid of his birthweight. He will certainly work in the right situation. I would rather use the 3027 bull as the ones I have seen have had a little more thickness and doability on less frame than the Harlands. I have seen quite a few harlands that just dont have enough volume and thickness for their frame that I like to see. In addition his fat numbers are really really high, like in the fatest 1/2 percent in the breed. I tend to stay away from extremes like that. If you want to stay within the ABS lineup of bulls, and 3027 isn't enough performance for you look at the Ribeye bull or if you want alot of growth check into the Thor bull too, but he isn't as well proven yet.

Lots of options out there too if you want to work with private breeders whose bulls aren't in some fancy semen catalog that work in the real world.

Brian

http://www.accelgen.com/htm/sire_pages/014HH00107.html

014HH00107s.jpg

CL 1 DOMINO 789T 1ET
Reg No: HHUSA000042788399
Tattoo No:
Born: 01/14/2007
Birth Wt: 88 lbs. -0.8 BW
205 Day Adj Wt: 708 lbs.
365 Day Adj Wt: 1253 lbs.
Mature Wt: 2550 lbs.
Mature Hip: 58.5 in.
Mature Scrt Crcum: 44 cm.

Excuse me for bashing EPD's, but the numbers just don't add up to me. 789's calves have an average weaning ratio of 99% and his mother has an average of 98% on 9 calves but his weaning EPD is +52.

I have CO L1 Domino 847 (not ready to call him a heifer bull) whose calves have averaged 106% weaning ratio and his mother has averaged 107% on 8 calves and has DOD behind her but 847's EPD for weaning is +51.

Sorry for my personal rant but that is not the first time I have seen bulls in a stud catalog that the numbers just don't add up.

Doug Thorson said:
Excuse me for bashing EPD's, but the numbers just don't add up to me. 789's calves have an average weaning ratio of 99% and his mother has an average of 98% on 9 calves but his weaning EPD is +52.

I have CO L1 Domino 847 (not ready to call him a heifer bull) whose calves have averaged 106% weaning ratio and his mother has averaged 107% on 8 calves and has DOD behind her but 847's EPD for weaning is +51.

Sorry for my personal rant but that is not the first time I have seen bulls in a stud catalog that the numbers just don't add up.

789 has not been used on the same cows as your bull.

Here's another good bull you can get through Accelerated Genetics.

http://www.accelgen.com/htm/sire_pages/059HH00461.html

http://www.herfnet.com/online/cgi-bin/i4.dll?1=3E3F292A&2=242D&3=56&5=2B3C2B3C3A&6=5A5D5C5A232627262E&10=1216371A04341FE3E4E7E1EF3D0B1415E438DCE3EDE217EEF5EA13F6C4F61FF1F4F2AA161DE0E1E1EAEFF6E8F7E3

I like this picture of him better.
Pedretti175E.jpg

SMN Herf said:
It really depends on what your goals are and where your cow herd is at now.

I am not a huge fan of Harland although I wouldn't be afraid of his birthweight. He will certainly work in the right situation. I would rather use the 3027 bull as the ones I have seen have had a little more thickness and doability on less frame than the Harlands. I have seen quite a few harlands that just dont have enough volume and thickness for their frame that I like to see. In addition his fat numbers are really really high, like in the fatest 1/2 percent in the breed. I tend to stay away from extremes like that. If you want to stay within the ABS lineup of bulls, and 3027 isn't enough performance for you look at the Ribeye bull or if you want alot of growth check into the Thor bull too, but he isn't as well proven yet.

Lots of options out there too if you want to work with private breeders whose bulls aren't in some fancy semen catalog that work in the real world.

Brian

Really like what I see on the 3027 bull. Negative BW, good growth and good carcass. One of the things that concerned me with Harland is it appeared he was a little bigger framed, so knowing 3027, better balances the frame to solid muscle build is very helpful. Lots of great ideas and information, keep them coming. I am trying to digest it all.

i have a reg herfy bull with a 4.1 ce and a 3.2 bw, would you consider him a heifer bull, his reg no is 43082662 i should be getting some calves out of him in may so i will have a better idea on his actual ce and bw. my cattle get lots of exercise and good quality forage with very little grain. and of the 30 or so heifers i have calved the last couple years very little calving problems. pulled one calf out of an angus heifer that was backwards and upside down. now that was a hard pull.

If you have Genex service and want calving ease I have used Legend, Revolution and Victor 719T all with great success on heifers.

Latest posts