• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hereford bull advice

Help Support Ranchers.net:

rem_243

Reaction score
I was looking for some advice on purchasing a Hereford bull. I was wanting to try one to cross on our black cows. Our cows are high percentage angus. I am wanting to try the cross to get some baldy heifers. The heifers will either be sold as bred or kept to breed Charolais for their 2nd calf. The Charolais is not by my choice so let's not even go there. Here is a link to a catalog for a sale that is close to my place. http://www.carmichaelherefords.com/images/Carmichael_Catalog_2014_for_web_2_.pdf

Most of our cows are low 5 frame. I realize heterosis will result in potentially bigger cows if the heifers are kept in the herd, and I'm ok with that. I was wondering if the Hereford experts had any suggestions or recommendations on using any of the bulls offered at this sale. I know there are lots of Hereford breeders around, but this one is close to home and with a pregnant wife due a week after the sale I should probably stay close to home. Thanks for any suggestions.

Based off experience here don't run a bull with horns in the same pasture as non-horned bulls. The horned bull will keep the other bulls away from the cycling cows weather he can breed them or not and you will have more open cows. If they are younger no problems but after about age three problems arise as older bulls like more space just no getting around it.

I bought a bull from Hereford_76 on here. sight unseen, just pictures and his word. was delivered to me, did not have to run around..... I was VERY pleased with the bull...

couple other breeders here that I am looking at their sale catalogs right now deciding what to do.... Ranchers.net has some great breeding stock , poke around here for a while, and get you a good buy

We sell alot of Hereford bulls on the phone and get along well, used to have a production bue get along well this way. Kinda laid back andreally get to know our customers. Are trying to breed for the baldy business as there are very few straight commercial hereford men left. Our business is serveing the F1 crossbreeders.

Keith Carmichael is a good guy and honest as they get. He has good cattle. I have bought from him before. I also sell bulls, mine sell in Philip Feb 11.

In my opinion if you are looking for females the L1 is hard to beat. If you want to talk about bloodlines (605) 859-3538

I will add this knowing it may get deleted but thorsonherefords.com for my info.

Doug Thorson said:
Keith Carmichael is a good guy and honest as they get. He has good cattle. I have bought from him before. I also sell bulls, mine sell in Philip Feb 11.

In my opinion if you are looking for females the L1 is hard to beat. If you want to talk about bloodlines (605) 859-3538

I will add this knowing it may get deleted but thorsonherefords.com for my info.

Why would it get deleted? It seems to me there is lots of networking that goes on here. Which is good.
Only thing I know of that gets deleted are posts from the UK trying to sell cabinets.

:p

Good luck at your sale, Doug. I saw your ads in the Tri-State. Your bulls look good.

Doug Thorson said:

Doug you should add your web site to your profile, It would show up with every post you make alongside the PM link.

You should also get a fancy bull pic as your avatar, Like the one I got of haymakers best bull. :D :D

Latest posts