• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hereford Bull

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php?action=DETAIL&code=1HH0105&lang=EN

Here's that bull I leased to Genex -I didn't know they had his picture on the website already. Kind of a big deal for our little outfit-I'm just lucky Murray and Cam Fraser gave me a chance to buy him. I haven't seen the bull since April he looks all right in the pic though. I guess the Fraser kids are showing two of his steers in 4H so that should be interesting. By the way my name isn't Chad lol.

NR:

I really like the looks of your bull. I wish we had some Herfs to use him on!

A quick question--I see his numbers are figured by the AHA. Does the AHA figure the Canadian Hereford Association's numbers? Now, the American Red Angus Assn., figures the Red Angus cattle's EPDs in the Canadian Angus Association's herdbook. That is nice as it makes using Canadian genetics a little easier, meaning their EPD's are on the same scale as the US numbers.

Good eye to get that bull bought. We wish you the very best in getting lots of semen sold. Selling a bull to a semen company was a big deal to our little outfit too. You have a lot to be proud of---

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Won't be long and we will all be saying we knew you when.Congatulations to both of your outfits.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
If I's lookin for a hereford bull...I'd use him. Nice lookin bull.

Dittos on what Jersey Lilly said, Northern Rancher. The only thing I would change on the bull would be to add more pigment around his eyes and scrotum. That could help breed in pink-eye and sore-udder prevention. He is sure a nice looking, thick, well put together bull. He should do very well for you.

Yup, a real nice bull. I always thought them horned herefords was the best bulls to get out and get the cows bred. They didn't run around in packs like so many of these polled ones do. :wink:

I sure like his numbers. what would it cost for seman on him? No more cows than I have, maybe i should just AI them, specially as the new young man next door can do it for me.

Some of the best cows I ever had were f1 hereford longhorn cross.

Thanks everyone-I'm not sure how much input I'll have on pricing but I'm sure he'll be priced within a commercial man's means. I look forward to a roadtrip in '08 to look at some calves of his. As for frame score I'd guess him a 5-6 at the most he's definately not a tall bull. I talked Murray into using 552 on his best Horned Hereford cows hoping to get a good son off him. Their sale is midMarch in Brooks.Alberta hopefully some of you can make it. Murray and Cam are just good honest ranchers whose cows happen to be registered-not an ounce of hype in them. They must have 250 pretty darn good Black cows to.

Nice Hereford bull. I see his sire was bred by Harlands at Texhoma,OK.. I have been through that set of cattle many times and they were one of the best sets of cows of any breed I ever looked at. Never seen them thin even on the short grass in the Oklahoma panhandle. We showed several heifers out of their herd. They dispersed their cattle a couple years ago after Jerry's untimely death. It was a shame to see that set of cows scattered all over the country.

I like that bull a lot too, NR. I'd say you do have a good eye.

And I'd sure agree with JB, on horned herefords getting
cows bred. Mr. FH always has said there is nothing better than an Angus
cow and nothing better than a horned hereford bull.

But what does he know? :wink:

Seriously, if we ran bigger numbers of cattle so as to run
a separate bunch for replacements, I know he would have
horned hereford bulls here.

I remember a sale I was at a few years back, a group of baldie replacements sold pretty high and the next set of heifers were Herefords that were actually better cattle, but they were red and white and not selling as well.

A guy was still talking about those baldies that had sold and how he wished he had some just like that to sell. I poked him and said buy these heifers and I'll sell you a good Angus bull you'll have even better baldies....the guy looked at me like I was speaking Chinese, didn't seem to click he would have a good buy on the Herfs, and the black would come from the bull. :roll:

Pretty hard to get baldies when you don't want to run Herfs or Angus.

I don't think you'll get a bunch of 60 pound calves out of him but I'm sure he'll calve very well-all my heifers are A'I'ed to him lol. It's funny about Horned Hereford replacement heifers-Pfieffer's at Elkwater sell a draft at Fraser's sale every year and they top the sale over all the blacks and baldies-I've bid way past discretion on them and haven't got them yet lol.

NR................Here I have been calling you by the wrong name all along.......... Altho I guess there are times when an alias is an asset!! :lol: :lol: :wink: To answer TTB's question about EPD's all North American Herefords are using common EPD's generated by ABRI in Australia. Sure makes comparisons a lot easier than having to remember averages of each breed book and trying to convert.

I agree with Soapweed & would like to see him with some eye pigment. Otherwise, nice bull with a pretty good spread on the epd's. Good luck on the semen sales.

cowsense said:
NR................Here I have been calling you by the wrong name all along.......... Altho I guess there are times when an alias is an asset!! :lol: :lol: :wink: To answer TTB's question about EPD's all North American Herefords are using common EPD's generated by ABRI in Australia. Sure makes comparisons a lot easier than having to remember averages of each breed book and trying to convert.

Thanks cowsense...you know, I knew that, but didn't remember it :oops: ! Geez...........

You are right, in the Red Angus breed having the same EPD base has sure helped.

Thanks again for jogging my memory!

Cheers---

TTB :wink:

Latest posts