• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Herefords

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Question for Aaron.Do the polled herefords still have the weak retractor muscles on the penis? Had a neighbor years ago with polls and thats the way his bulls were,just like the angus!!!!

Wow Juan, that's news to me! Never, have I ever heard about weak retractor muscles in the Herefords, polled or horned. That was and still seems to be a problem with the Angus. I wonder what bloodlines your neighbour was using? Maybe, if he was breeding alot of sloppy sheathed gutty bulls, he was breeding all the abdominal muscle out of them. I know that sloppy sheaths and the such seemed to be a big problem in the 80's in the Herefords, but breeders cracked down on that over the last decade and it seems to have fadded away.

I focus on creating and keeping my Herefords a maternal breed, so I use bulls with guts every now and then, along with crossing them with bulls who are pretty athletic. Seems to give my cows that perfect barrel shape, but not a belly a 1/2 foot off of the ground.

Northern Rancher;
Ya I know John. Maybe too good! He's who I take horses to. Some people aren't that crazy about him but he's always treated me good and he's a good vet. Had him work on my best horse last fall. He had pigeon fever. Dangedest thing I ever been around. Do you go to John and if so ain't it a long drive?

Ohh Doc Ismay and I go back a long ways-we used to take bulls down to that big sale in Sturgis in April so got to know him them -I haven't went down for a visit since the border closed. John is a fun guy I hung out there for a couple days last trip and he sure B'S ed the customers about what I Did in Canada-according to him I was a horse chiropracter,a Norwegian Fjord breeder,A FDA drug inspector and the head of a Grizzley bear A.I. team lol. John and Bonnie are great people-next time you see him say hi from Canada's greatest bear hunter lol. You must know Brad and Darla Severson also-were good friends with them too-they've even come up here fishing.

Any of you Hereford raisers needing more cows?- there is going to be a dispersion sale of over 220 head of bred hereford cows and 80 bred heifers on Thursday- March 3- GSI (Glasgow Stockyards)......This is a commercial herd of 1 iron cows from an over 70 year old ranch- never seen the cows, but have seen the calves in the fall and they look good.....Cows are advertised as bred to Cooper and Holden bulls......

That was me that posted- for some reason it didn't log in........

Any of you Hereford raisers needing more cows?- there is going to be a dispersion sale of over 220 head of bred hereford cows and 80 bred heifers on Thursday- March 3- GSI (Glasgow Stockyards)......This is a commercial herd of 1 iron cows from an over 70 year old ranch- never seen the cows, but have seen the calves in the fall and they look good.....Cows are advertised as bred to Cooper and Holden bulls......

We like Doc Ismay too. Our old horse broke his jaw a few years back. JJ Hovde was practicing here and he diagnosed it and called Dr. Ismay. On JJ's advice we ran the horse right down to him, arriving about dark. Their son was getting married the next day. Dr. Ismay said our horse was going into shock so he and his wife stayed up with that horse all night long. They had never even met us before!! Consequently, with a lot of TLC and much worry, the horse healed up. Took all winter but he lived another 6 years and was always in good shape.

JJ Hovde, who now owns the vet clinic at Sidney is a whale of a horse and cow vet. We sure thought a lot of him while he was here. We've been around a lot of good horse vets; he is one of the good ones. We sure hated to see him go.

BC;
Sorry, I sent you a reply, but it must not have got thru. Liked the stories and think you better write and remember some more. Get in touch with me thru' my email if you want to visit.

R-CALF Member.....I know of the Meyers but am not acquainted with any of them.Try Liberty Belle.

"Juan, do you know the Meyers that sell bulls around Buffalo SD????"

What do you need to know about them? Honest as the day is long, and great people.

I'm new to this site, so I'll intoduce myself as someone who agrees with your small cow that weans half her wt, every year, as the one I pursue. And your business about the F1hybred x longhorn makes me laugh, as I have some in the herd still. Just enjoyed your approach to making it long term.

Kate;
Welcome to this site! You can learn a lot here and it's a good way to check out things from all over. Usually someone is close to where you need info or can send you to someone else who has that info.

I like smaller cows and don't know if I'm going to be able to get them unless I go to Correinte or Low Line Angus.

Every one seems to think that smaller isn't better but what if you raised a cow almost the size of a sheep. Think how nice sized the cuts would be for those who don't want a large steak. They feed out lambs and butcher them. Pretty hard to beat an old ewe for efficiancey (sorry for the spelling). And smaller cows would be easier for women and smaller folk to handle also. Sure would be easier on me and my horse when I went to doctor one! Course I guess deep snow could be a problem and everyone would have to lower their feed bunks!

As for longevity, replacing cows in the herd can sure run into a lot of costs. So I guess I'll keep trying to get cowes that are small efficient and live to a ripe old age. Hopefully they will taste good too!

Good to see some new blood on this site. Keep posting as most of the folks on here seem to be good people.

Latest posts