• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Herniated Navel

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
Anyone ever had any luck treating a herniated navel? Had a bull calf born this morning and its insides are bulging out through the naval. I've never had any luck with this but thought maybe some on here had. I put it back in and put some stitches in, but suspect that without stitching the muscle back together it will all be for nothing. Seems to me I read somewhere on here that some success had been had using a wide adhesive bandage to hold things in.

I only had it happen once and we did the same thing. He didn't make it very long. It might have had something to do with the fact he injured his intestines by kicking at his belly before we could fix it. I guess time will tell for you. One thing for sure you are never out anything for trying.

Had several of them back when we used to raise Holstein bobby calves. All were successfully permanently repaired by our local vet.

I used to work at a vet clinic and we got one or two a year. Fixing it can be done, if it's not too bad, and the calf gets to the clinic right away, but it really takes more than can be done at home. We used to anesthetize them, put them on their backs, prepped and cleaned up, make an incision, put everything back in, while making sure it was clean and sterile. (Which can be a big job if there's lots to deal with). Then the abdominal wall needs to be sutured, followed by a row of sutures in the skin.

Unless it's only a tiny wee bit sticking out, it's most likely to work if you take them to the vet. We saw some where literally feet of intestines were hanging out. It's pretty incredible sometimes. We had pretty good luck with the procedure, but even then it didn't always work. The bad ones were a high risk for shock.

That being said, calves are worth some money now, so checking the vet to see what it would cost wouldn't hurt..... As long as it hasn't been too long. Things deteriorate pretty quick when insides are out.

add... maybe call your vet in the morning and tell them what happened. The calf will definitely need antibiotics, and maybe your vet can reinforce the stitches. It was a good thing to get it back in quickly, BTW. That makes all the difference

It's been in all day now, I tubed the calf, it's had penicillin, we'll see if it's still around in the morning I guess. It's laying up good this evening. It's just a tiny thing, I doubt he was ever destined for grandness.

A few years ago the neighbor had 1 the intestines were out & torn , they took it to the vet & she put it back together & it lived just fine . That 1 was hard to believe .

It's up and walking around this morning :shock: Doesn't suck, so tubed it again.

Nicky said:
How's it doing?

Doesn't suck yet, but otherwise seems alright. He sure is a shrimp though, maybe 45 lbs. He gets up and moves around with no obvious discomfort. I keep expecting for him to take a turn for the worse but as of yet that hasn't happened.

Another set of twins this morning. :cry:

gcreekrch said:
Silver said:
The little devil sucked the cow dry tonight :shock:

I've always believed that where there's a pulse, there's hope. :wink:

Well it looks good now, but until the tailgate of the liner slams down behind the little bugger I'm not counting the cash :D

Faster horses said:
That little bugger really wants to live. Glad you gave him that chance. :clap:

The odds have really been against him for sure. Now momma isn't that interested in him anymore, I've been putting the heifer in the chute so he can suck. If he was more aggressive it may not have got to this but we'll deal with it. Once he gets more active and can be more aggressive she'll get hobbles I guess. Can't blame her much, it's been several days, it hasn't been a normal calf, and she is a first calf heifer. I'm not saying she's going to town this fall just yet, but it is beginning to look that way.

Well the poor little devil didn't make it. Came down ill yesterday morning, gave him what appears to have been a lethal a shot of Resflor :shock: and he was gone sometime during the night. Kinda strange because he was sure a goer there for a week or better. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Silver said:
Well the poor little devil didn't make it. Came down ill yesterday morning, gave him what appears to have been a lethal a shot of Resflor :shock: and he was gone sometime during the night. Kinda strange because he was sure a goer there for a week or better. Oh well, c'est la vie.

Doggone the luck!!! I thought he was gonna be okay. :cry: Well, Silver, you tried. Good for you.

Latest posts