• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hey BMR

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
You never warned me about the entertainment value of your concoction-it's like a day at the circus for the broodmares to paw it out of the tubs and watch it blow away lol. Well as long as their having fun I guess. Any more word on the canola based elixer.

I guess we don't run the cows with the mares where we feed it so never thought about that problem. I am just finishing up the last load and haven't started on the cheaper mix. The cows sure have a shine eating that canola meal. Regulation seems to be the biggest hurdle so we just put out a couple days at a time. It sure gets the mineral and salt to the cows.

If you don't mind me asking, what's your concoction for getting mineral into the critters? We mix in some dried molasses, and it works OK, but there are always a couple cows who don't like it. And of course, they're usually the ones who are already thin and worn down from raisin 50% of their weight. It has to be the ones who are suspect to get the staggers that won't lick the mineral and frustrate the #!@# out of ya. :roll: :roll:

For feeding straight mineral I have switched to Vigortone mineral.
I am useing a protien supplement that has Canola meal, salt, mineral and canola oil. It is a bit of a switch from the product I had been useing that had more ingredients such as soy and others but this last mix was the cheapest. It is not Vigortone mineral in it but the mix was made at COOP feeds in Weyburn. I put it out in tubs and aim for 1lb/hd/day. I am not sure that is quite where were at but only put out that much. The cows are out grazing dry native grass and looking great. It has been a great fall and I weaned early. I think if the cows were up closer and needed feed it might not be as economical but only going out every 3 or 4 days sure save fuel time and gets some parts of the ranch used that don't get used other times.

Canola 680kg
Salt 300kg
Can. oil 10kg
1:1 min 10kg

That's canola meal.

Latest posts