• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hey everyone!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

adventureman

Reaction score
Hey everyone, long time browser, first time poster. I finally got frustrated enough about not being able to reply that I filled out the registration. I really enjoy the website and discussing pertinent issues with adults. I got sick of another forum which I used to frequent that may or may not be breedersworld.com. I really don't care about "Who is the best hairball, crossbred bull without any calves on the ground in 2005" "I already bred my whole herd to Dinkus the bull, what calves can I expect because I didn't do my research before I bred my cows" "Who is the best showman in Camel Spit county?"
Anyways, happy ranching, happy posting and have a great summer. Keep it clean, and remember they're only words they can't hurt you. Unless they are written down, tied to a rock, and tossed at your head. :lol:
________
Chevrolet HHR specifications

Welcome. :D

Feel free to roll up your sleeves and plow right in. It's lots of fun.

I see by your avatar that you raise Shorthorns. I don't think there are any Shorthorn breeders here yet, that I know of. Now we can add another breed to the mix if a breed debate comes up.

You never know, believe it or not, once in a while a debate comes up here. :wink: :wink:

welcome aboard, adventureman!!! :D Sure hope you find these boards as humorous, educational and (unfortunately) frustrating as the rest of us!! Each person here has a very unique personality and most are not afraid to voice their opinions!! More often than not, you will find someone you disagree with, but it really is individuality that makes humanity so much fun....so....jump right in and join the family :wink:

adventureman,

When we purchased our first bunch of cows, a couple of them were shorthorn. They were sweet, and good mothers. One of our boss's cows died and one of our shorthorns took care of the orphan along with her own calf. Anyone else have some nice stories of cows being smart and caring and stepping up to the plate?? We have had several!! BTW, we don't raise Shorthorns anymore, but we still run into a smart, caring cow once in awhile!!

Hanta Yo said:
adventureman,

When we purchased our first bunch of cows, a couple of them were shorthorn. They were sweet, and good mothers. One of our boss's cows died and one of our shorthorns took care of the orphan along with her own calf. Anyone else have some nice stories of cows being smart and caring and stepping up to the plate?? We have had several!! BTW, we don't raise Shorthorns anymore, but we still run into a smart, caring cow once in awhile!!
Hi, Kathy :D
I had a smart cow once! :roll: I put a bell around her neck (she was a milk cow) so I could locate her to bring her back to the barn to milk. (She was trying to "go dry") That sucker could walk, run, and "sweep" the flys from her back - - -and never let the clapper on that bell make a sound!! :shock: :eek: :? :? I couldn't even do that! Doesn't speak too well for my ancestors, does it? (No comment from you :twisted: disagreeable :twisted: :lol: :lol: )

I like Shorthorns. In fact, when we started in this business so very long ago, the feller that helped us get going had some roan cows. They were my favorites.

Then our very best milk cow was a Shorthorn Holstein cross. She was a super cow. Her milk was just right, just the right amount of cream and it tasted wonderful. She got really big; but that just made more of her to love. She was a blue roan; of course, we called her BLUE.

A rancher in W. Montana that raised the biggest calves had Angus cows with a Shorthorn base. They had a little roan in their tail and were the heaviest calves raised around there. I have noticed any Angus cows we have that show a little roan in the switch on their tail always have really good calves. We've bred straight Angus for 25 years, but we will still have an occasional roan switch.

Hanta Yo said:
adventureman,

I have a black cow which is 1/2 shorthorn her calf got the scours this spring and was to weak to get up to nurse.She would strattle the calf with her udder in his face and he nursed like that fot 2 days till he got better

Denny said:
Hanta Yo said:
adventureman,

I have a black cow which is 1/2 shorthorn her calf got the scours this spring and was to weak to get up to nurse.She would strattle the calf with her udder in his face and he nursed like that fot 2 days till he got better
Denny - Your black cow must have'Mothering Ability" EPD's of about 45! Give her a pat on the rump for me!

Latest posts