• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hey Harding County People

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gunslinger

Reaction score
I heard the other day in the bank that there have been confirmed sightings of black bears in harding county. So what is the deal is there any truth to it. Sure could be one hell of a predation issue. Or is someone just pulling my chain? :D

Just what are the bears going to predate in Harding country lol. I've seen our cows drinking at the same waterholes as bears lol-think your critters will be pretty safe.

No kidding we have thick forest's here and lots of bears plus timber wolves and even COYOTES and have never lost a calf or cow to any of the above.Some people worry to worry.Do you people know that your cereal grain's would be more at risk than your livestock.

No kidding Denny they sure raise heck with a crop of oats don't they-been a couple neighbors get a rude awakening when they went to shut a granary door and met a bear coming out lol.

I would say it is different in different parts of the country. When the coyotes get thick the deer population goes down, the rabbits and birds also disappear. I am also taking into consideration of the hard winters, drough and etc that could cause a downslide in this population. I have lost calves to coyotes, and colts to Mountain Lions. Had a friend that had more problems with bears running his cows through the fence. Our cows are scared to death of something they haven't seen before. Had a neighbors lama that lives with his horses get into mine, had quite a few wire cut and fences to fix before we got the lama removed. So what works for you people doesn't always work that way for others.

Just lock him out lol -Liberty Belle probably has some spare padlocks kicking around. Somebody thought they saw a black bear and already guys are getting ready to lose calves-maybe you need some Canadian cows that can take care of their calves lol.

Seems to me that we here on Ranchers net have really got some great things going for us. Freedom of speech, a chance to express our opinons amongst like minded folks and best of all, our resident wildlife expert, NR! Sure is nice to know that any and all questions about wildlfe and their habits can be answered cooly and calmly by someone with a vast amount of practical and wide ranging experiences. And he's well traveled, too. :wink:

Jinglebob said:
Seems to me that we here on Ranchers net have really got some great things going for us. Freedom of speech, a chance to express our opinons amongst like minded folks and best of all, our resident wildlife expert, NR! Sure is nice to know that any and all questions about wildlfe and their habits can be answered cooly and calmly by someone with a vast amount of practical and wide ranging experiences. And he's well traveled, too. :wink:

Bet he learned most of it from Dr.I and Paul S. :D :D :D

Jinglebob said:

A trite phrase comes to mind: "An expert is someone who is over a hundred miles away from home." :wink:

rancher said:
I would say it is different in different parts of the country.

I'm with you on this one. We're down out of the tree line, so if a bear is stumbling around these parts, he's either lost or hungry. Over the years theres been just enough calves lost to bears that I shoot first, ask questions later. Just this year, I was driving by neighbors place, and a black bear was pacing his fenceline just on the other side of a group of curious 400 weight calves. He wasn't thirsty, since there was open water no more than a 100 yards away. The mommas were on the other side of the pasture, bellarin for the calves, but they were too curious.

Rod

Just teasing my South Dakota ranchers crying -wolf,bear,prairie dogs,coyoteshunters,game warden-it seems we ranch up here with all those same things but don't get our shorts in quite so tight a knot as you all do. Maybe you should load up old Dr. Ismay and go on a fact finding mission to Canuckland ask Brad and Darla Severson they showed up here one day and we had a blast. They even got back to South dakota without being eaten by a bear lol. it just strikes me as funny is the 'FIRST' thing people worry about down there when they see something is the problems it will cause-I tend to enjoy the fact that I live in country where we don't have to look through zoo bars to see it.

Northern Rancher said:
Just teasing my South Dakota ranchers crying -wolf,bear,prairie dogs,coyoteshunters,game warden-it seems we ranch up here with all those same things but don't get our shorts in quite so tight a knot as you all do. Maybe you should load up old Dr. Ismay and go on a fact finding mission to Canuckland ask Brad and Darla Severson they showed up here one day and we had a blast. They even got back to South dakota without being eaten by a bear lol. it just strikes me as funny is the 'FIRST' thing people worry about down there when they see something is the problems it will cause-I tend to enjoy the fact that I live in country where we don't have to look through zoo bars to see it.
Yup, just a little friendly teasing back at you NR. :wink
I heard Brad and Darla split the sheets, but have never talked to either, so sure don't know if it's true. I never was Brad's favorite salebarn employee anyway. Guess he just had too much eastriver in him or something! :lol:

We've had bears wandering around and through our cows for a number of years and haven't had any trouble but then one year the neighbor lost 2 young angus bulls to a bear. They were down in a pretty steep draw, it looked like a bomb went off, the ground and the brush was tore to s***, blood all over, the local goverment trapper was pretty sure there was only one bear. Would have been quite the sight to see that one happen. But since then we haven't had any more trouble, maybe if those 2 bulls would have just given the bear the right-of-way they would have been alright. :)

Hey I asked the Harding county people not the Canadians a simple question. YOu want to make a debate out of anything NR. So what gives are there bears up there or not?

Are there bears up here-lots of them-I just find it funny how a rumoured sighting is already turning into a predation problem lol. Was talking to a buddy today he's snared 8 wolves on his trapline through his pasture but never lost any cattle out of 400 pairs running there.

Geez I hope that rumour about Brad and Darla isn't true-I sold my first bull stateside to them and became friends with them-kind of lost touch with my American buddies since the border closed. When were you working at the salebarn Jinglebob I used to spend a week there every spring. EXT's are crappy mothers actually too damned flighty to stay and fight lol. Actually a cattle killing bear is pretty easy to take care of-they'll come back to kill sight till it's cleaned up-we haven't lost anything to bears in our pasture yet-the odd old boar will kill some but very rare. I tell you bears like to eat are beavers-they are like cocaine to a bear in the spring.

TyronesSheds005.jpg

Just to prove I'm not B.S'ing about bears and beavers here's Ty's bear bait-he's more confidant in his bow shooting than me he's set up only about 15 yards away-the bears tore this all up this fall-nothing like beaver sauteed in kfc grease for a hungry bruin lol.

Latest posts