• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hey Jiggsy!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

loomixguy

Reaction score
Went over to Superior today to set out 3 troughs for a customer. Something looked wrong, and the closer I got, the more wrong it looked. Smoke was so thick over the entire area you couldn't see anything...I was a little over a mile from the water tower and couldn't even see it. Looked like the entire area was on fire....customer told me Wheat heads were burning pastures in Kansas.

I suspect though, that Jiggsy took on a hogs mess of Firehouse or 5 Alarm chili last night and farted this morning, causing the nearest pasture to spontaneously combust! :wink:

we had 800 acres that we burned today. lots of big cedar trees.... it was a black hot mess....

I figured you were complicit in this. My attorney will be in touch. Cough, cough, cough.. I think my lungs are ruined now...cough cough....I should get a disability check every month after this...cough cough...

would you like it sent to Oldtimers address...you two can both be on the county payroll.....

Hell, NO! If it was sent to his place I'd never see it. And I ain't about to go to the Blue Oyster Bar to try to collect it!

Didn't take any....smoke was so thick you couldn't have seen much of anything a lot of the time. Maybe Jigs took some?

I have a couple, will try to post...but photobucket irritates me some lately.

Aren't those fires a little hard on fences?

I know they burn the Flint Hills every year but that sure wouldn't work in this country. If you don't have some old grass you might not get any new grass. :?

cedar trees have taken over this area the past 20 years. people just now seeing that they are a problem. so you try to lightly graze it, keeping enough fuel, then torch it off.. every 5 to 8 years we try to burn off the pastures, promotes great growth, and kills off many unwanted species....

Nice pics. People ask we all the time what to spray for cedars. I just say leave some cover for fuel and burn it in the spring. It works wonders.

Ya gotta hand it to them Jayhawkers, they aren't afraid to throw a match, and take care of their pastures. First spring I lived down there, I was in panic mode all spring. They don't think anything of 40mph winds. Send a kid on a 4wheeler, dragging a tire that is lit. Get them all the way around the section, and let it burn in on its self.
Nebraska could stand to learn from the Pyro's down south.

Dang Jigs you look like you need a little Dymax or Marshalsaw blight to help your efforts. We spent all afternoon yesterday chasing fire on the south end of Rock Creek Station. A well intentioned land owner wasn't quite ready for the woof when the cedars got going..... :D

I have had LOOMIX troughs out in the summer on some places southeast of Reynolds....between the cedars and the black locusts you can barely drive a pickup most places in those pastures....WOW! :(

There are some that are in bad need of help but there are a ton of them that have had a lot of help in the last 3-5 yrs. There are only a small handful that haven't been overhauled. I had some Dymax help with one of mine a couple years back. Most of mine need what we call the "weedeater" treatment. I have a 250 Stihl brush cutter that we go and walk pastures every couple years to cure the "little stinker" problem.... :D I hate cedars and Locust so we try hard to get ahead and stay ahead of them.

Jayhawkers???? son, I am a WILDCAT......

most times it is an easy burn with a road or lake bordering the fire...this one had CRP to the north, but a mower and a wet line was all we needed....wind was blowing right toward the CRP, and we kept it out of there... we have a real solid burn group that works well together.

once it is black lined and we cut it loose, I spend the bulk of my time following the flames saving posts.

I am not from that area but here in central Indiana If you don't mow your pastures at least twice or three time a year the trees will soon take over.

I have a 21' Bushhog batwing and a 15' Woods batwing and my son and I each have 7' mowers for the front of our skid steers.

Kindaweedy.jpg
[/url]

JD 4650 with the 21' Bushhog - - - kinda blurry

[/img]

This is after two years left alone.

Treesbefore_zpsc920678e.jpg
[/url]

This is after the 21' made a pass. Lots if sticks that will rot down but the cattle can find the grass now.

[/img]

Put one tractor with a batwing in a pasture with a skid steer getting the hard to get areas and we can cover a lot of ground quickly and I feel we come close to doubling the feed value per acre.

The farms in the area that have dropped cattle and removed fences now have very thick woods with hedge apple and locus trees with large thorns that the hunters have a hard time getting thru.

I bought 39 acres covered like that about 10 years ago and took a loader and dozer and cleared in in about 4 days ( shoved up large piles in the gullies and left them to rot down for wildlife habitat ) took a disk to the ground and planted orchard grass and fescue and sweet clover, fertilized it and have great pasture. It is amassing to me that the piles have been there 10 years and are still about 3/4ths the size they were when I pushed them up. I have thought about waiting till right after a good rain and burning a few of them.

I am still amazed that I can mow it three times a year and there will be locus trees an inch in diameter and 5 foot tall between mowings!

locust trees are tough, we use remedy and diesel fuel to kill them...treat the bottom 2 foot of the biggest tree, and it goes out to kill off all the root sapplings from that tree too...

jigs said:
locust trees are tough, we use remedy and diesel fuel to kill them...treat the bottom 2 foot of the biggest tree, and it goes out to kill off all the root sapplings from that tree too...

x2 works wonders..

Latest posts