• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Hey Kato !

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cowzilla

Reaction score
Corn is green and in rows but we sure could use some heat units around this place. Apparently the smoke coming out of my ears and veins poping out of my neck watching my hay getting rained on again doesn't help :lol: :lol: On the plus side tagged some new calves couple days ago and could barely find them in the tall grass. How did the corn planting turn out after everything was sorted out ?

We used exactly the right amount of seed, so it's all out there. Big Guy isn't too happy with the spacing though. There will be a few spaced out properly, then every once in a while a clump of four or five seeds. We're stumped. :???: Air pressure? It almost seems like the seed was getting hung up in the hoses, then all coming out at once. Other than that, it's doing pretty good. I think I can actually see it grow from morning to night now that it's been hot the last couple of days. :lol:

But then there's the spot where he shut off the air, and forgot to put it back on again :roll: ..... he went back and did it again, but we've got a strip about five feet wide, and a couple of hundred feet long, right by the road where all the neighbours can see it. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :clap:

As for the hay, we just started cutting yesterday, and already got shut down by a rain. I think it's headed your way, :help: but at least it's just one cloud. I think Agwest might have a hay demo day tomorrow, so maybe we'll be able to go. Unless it got rained out too...

:agree: Pastures are sure good eh? For grass it's been just great so far. Should have some big cashflow calves to sell in September. :wink:

Isn't that the way things go? If you have a screw-up in the field when you're seeding, it'll ALWAYS be by the road!!!

When I do something along the hiway everybody knows about it by coffee time. It's gotten a lot worse since my new neighbours ( the guys with the long beards and buggys ) as we have a lot of tourists up and down the hiway watching them put up there new houses and barns. They put up a huge barn last week and I hear that the next one 1/2 mile down the road will be even bigger :eek: They built a barn with the same Idea as my dads old barn I use for calving. It has a sling to lift loose hay up into the loft from the racks outside . The second barn will have a driveway up into the loft. Didn't think I would see the day when somebody would build barns like that again. When you get a chance Kato you will have to take a looksee. I swear we have more horses around here now than you would see at the Calgary Stampede :!: :lol: :lol:

How many more do you want, Cowzilla? There are lots more where those came from!!!

Not sure how they can multiply so fast, but it might have something to do with the one shop on the edge of Kitchener/Waterloo. It's called Martin Manufacturing . . .

In all fairness, they are a quiet, hardworking kind of people, although they don't contribute much to the social life of the community in general.

Maple Leaf Angus These folks are from your part of the country. Apparently they outgrew the area and could not get enough land and sold some of there land for a fortune. They are already trying to nosey up to a couple of my landlords :roll:

DJL
have to work on that Digital Camera thing getting the pics is one thing but getting from cam to here requires the guidence of my 14 year old daugher :wink:

Maple Leaf Angus These folks are from your part of the country. Apparently they outgrew the area and could not get enough land and sold some of there land for a fortune. They are already trying to nosey up to a couple of my landlords :roll:

DJL
have to work on that Digital Camera thing getting the pics is one thing but getting from cam to here requires the guidence of my 14 year old daugher :wink:

Well it sure is crowded where they come from and some of them are selling land which is getting surrounded by the city so you can do the math . . . .

Many of the Mennonites have big fabricating shops that are state of the art for both metal working and plastic extrusion. They are having a hard time finding land on which they can run these shops as the local municipalities are becoming tougher with their zoning bylaws.

In the one township that still allows them to build new shops on their farm, the land values are going nuts. One guy put his 100 acres with a newer, very upscale house on the market for $1.4 million. The horse and buggy guy that wanted it said he'd buy it if the vendor would only take a million for it . . . .

:shock: :lol2: :lol2: :lol2:

We have some mennonite, not horse and buggy mennonite but pretty old fashioned folks, that have a settlement about 5 miles to the north of here, probabl going to be spliting off and have a large group of them move off soon (Something about Church rules when they hit a certain size).. Real nice folks, never have had a problem with them and they are generally the first to stop if they are driving by to say hi or to help if livestock on the road or something else goes wrong.. The only real isolationist thing they do is they won't let their younguns work on the farms of non members, don't want us curropting them I guess, lol.. All in all the place is better for having them around than not having them..

I guess it's time to go for a drive. When we drove by taking the cows to pasture things were hopping pretty good down there already, but no barns yet. That's pretty quick work for someone with no power tools. :wink: :D I'd like to see that driveway to the loft. How are they going to get that good sand to stay in a solid enough pile to drive on? :? :) They may have to haul in some gumbo clay from up around our way. :wink:

Your new neighbours may drive land values up in the area, but that does make the balance sheet look better. :? As long as they don't talk too nice to the landlords eh?

Did you get that storm last night? It sounded like a lot of hail went right down from Dauphin to Carman. Thought I was going to have to call Son #2 to warn him about tornadoes again, but didn't have to. Over the last two weeks, I've had to call him three times. :!:

We got the usual 1/2 inch rain but did manage to bale 120 dry bales before the downpore. No hail here but some about 5 miles north
some crop ins adjusters will likley be called. Cut some more hay today weather forcast looks good :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: Yea Right :roll: :roll:

We've got about a hundred acres down, and Big Guy is baling like a bandit. :cboy: Now they say it might rain on Tuesday or Wed, so he's stopped cutting until he catches up. We missed the last rain, but yesterday he was still hitting mud lumps with the haybine. Good thing it's hot today, or it would never go.

Cut some hay for brother in law yeasterday there ground is wet good hay but tuff going. Wet molehills and haybine bad mix :evil: Does unpluging haybine 20 times seem like a lot :shock: Tagged a couple more calves this morning and it started to rain again. Calves seem unconcerned about weather :)

Big Guy was unplugging a mud lump and ripped a fingernail right off. :help: Yucccchhhhh....... gross..

Looks like the weather is going to be OK, at least for a couple of days. Now the weather channel says 100% next Thursday. I hope they are wrong on that one. But then again, a day off wouldn't be a bad thing ... :wink:

Have you got many calves left to go?

Think there's 7 left 5 cows 2 heifers. Heifers are still in Ma and Pa's yard( they can keep an eye on them while having there morning java :wink: ) One is a little skiddish so I give the girls a little oats just to get there attention on the odd day. During a morning coffee break the other day I discover Dads doing the same thing :!: Geeez no wonder they just about run me over when I walk past the grain bins :lol: :lol: Red got her first taste of round baling today and did a pretty good job. Just wish we could get a few days in a row of good drying weather so she could practice a little more :) Grasshoppers showing up in yearling pasture Big Time so if I get my wish of good haying I will likley end up feeding yearlings sooner than planned.

Latest posts